Pats Media have Serious Doubts about LB Adalius Thomas

Yeah, I'm sure the Pats are beating themselves up over the fact that they're continuing the tactics that have won them 5 AFC East tiles and 3 Super Bowls in the past 6 years. :blink:

Here we go again, hey if you want to rest on your laurels, who am I to stop you. :wallbash: But, the last time I checked, we are talking about this year, not 5 years ago. I will be glad to see you say next year: "Yeah we won 5 AFC titles and 3 super bowls over the last 7 years." You can say whatever you want but it doesn't change the facts at hand.

Do you think that might be why they signed a LB so athletic that he plays CB and S sometimes?

Of course they signed and athletic guy - did you expect them to sign a statue in a 3-4 D? What does that prove? I mean he's an NFL football player - I expect him to be somewhat athletic :wallbash: . But, the question you haven't answered is: for how long? The better question is: what about the rest of the LB corp? Does a 29 year old on improve the youth of a group whose average age is 29.9? Off the top of my head I would say no - but according to you that is SPIN! How does one more older guy who has been seen(I acknowledge that this is one opinion - but it is the neutral opinion of an AFC North Executive) as "questionable" against the run solve anything about the geriatric state of your linebacking corp?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...the last time I checked, we are talking about this year, not 5 years ago...

History isn't everything, but it is relevant. This is undeniable.

I expect him to be somewhat athletic :blink: . But, the question you haven't answered is: for how long?

Well, it's a front-loaded 5 year deal, so he'll probably be with the Patriots 3 years minimum. Given that he's a relatively fresh 29 (hasn't been a starter for long), I imagine he'll hold up well until 33, at least.

The better question is: what about the rest of the LB corp? Does a 29 year old on improve the youth of a group whose average age is 29?

There's this big event coming up at the end of April. You might want to check it out.

How does one more older guy who has been seen(I acknowledge that this is one opinion - but it is the neutral opinion of an AFC North Executive) as "questionable" against the run solve anything about the geriatric state of your linebacking corp?

The Pats' LB troubles last year came mostly against the pass.

History isn't everything, but it is relevant. This is undeniable.

Ok so now that means I can say we are gonna win the division this year because we won it 4 times in the early 90's? How about that. I'm super psyched now :blink: Like I said, you guys may have one more year left in the tank, but more than likely you don't, that is also undeniable.

Well, it's a front-loaded 5 year deal, so he'll probably be with the Patriots 3 years minimum. Given that he's a relatively fresh 29 (hasn't been a starter for long), I imagine he'll hold up well until 33, at least.

Yes and given the history of ex-Ravens FA actually being good(I'll be generous and say they bat .300) you have a 2/3 chance that he won't be good, never mind whether he holds up till 33. And again, why are you saying that one more 29-year old is gonna help your starters not be old? I don't get that.

There's this big event coming up at the end of April. You might want to check it out.

There's this big event coming up at the end of April = crapshoot this year. Hang your hat on that if you want but I wouldn't. The only thing that saves you in this situation is if the Pats coaching staff can take draftees and get them into the game as starters either this or next year. I dunno, with the quality of this draft class, I'm guessing there's about a 20% chance of that. But to stay on topic: You are now saying, in response to my question, that in fact Thomas doesn't help you get younger - hence you are pointing me towards the draft. Well, no kidding! This is why I said what I said: Thomas is a right now/maybe get in one more good (playoff?)year player. :wallbash:

The Pats' LB troubles last year cam against the pass.

Which means your guys don't run very well. Again, with as old as they are, what'd you expect? And by the way, the reason your LBs were sucking wind against the Colts was because they were being run on - not passed on.

Ok so now that means I can say we are gonna win the division this year because we won it 5 times in the early 90's?

Again, idiotic comparison. The Patriots have won the AFC in 5 of the 6 IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING years.

Like I said, you guys may have one more year left in the tank, but more than likely you don't, that is also undeniable.

Absurd. You're focusing on one old unit and ignoring everything else. The Patriots' OLs and DLs are very young and very good, and both are signed for several more years. Championship teams are frequently built from the lines out, so the Patriots' future looks incredibly bright.

There's this big event coming up at the end of April = crapshoot this year.

It's a crapshoot every year. The Pats have been pretty successful with it, though.

But to stay on topic: You are now saying, in response to my question, that in fact Thomas doesn't help you get younger - hence you are pointing me towards the draft.

Thomas helps us get better. Frankly, I'd rather add a very good 29-year-old than a crappy 25-year-old.

Perhaps the issue should become why you're so obsessed with age.

Which means your guys don't run very well.

Which is why the Pats went out and got a LB who runs well.

Is any of this getting through? Or is your hatred toward the Patriots so strong that you'll just believe what you want no matter what anyone says?

Again, idiotic comparison. The Patriots have won the AFC in 5 of the 6 IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING years.

No it isn't. No more idiotic than(with the way FA is going, the salary cap increase, and the weakness of this draft) comparing what you did last year is indicative of anything that's going to happen - THIS YEAR. The difference is I am not talking about what we did last year(s) - you are - so who's the idiot again?

Absurd. You're focusing on one old unit and ignoring everything else. The Patriots' OLs and DLs are very young and very good, and both are signed for several more years. Championship teams are frequently built from the lines out, so the Patriots' future looks incredibly bright.

The main reasons everyone points to when talking about the Patriots success is the linebacking corp and Tom Brady. Or do we need to bring up the knob-slobbing of Bruschi, Vrabel, et al. Now you are trying to tell me that your new and young O/D line is why you won all those Super Bowls? You can't have it both ways. If you are saying that the old days is why you will win now, then you saying that the old players are why you will win now. The new guys weren't around for the Super Bowls: so by your own logic they have nothing to do with this. :blink: Now if you are saying that the FO is the reason you won then and will win now, okay, I guess, but that doesn't address the fact that no FO in the world is gonna get past the fact that you now have linebackers that wouldn't be starting anywhere else and last time I checked, one guy <> 4 LBs.

It's a crapshoot every year. The Pats have been pretty successful with it, though.

So we agree. It is a crapshoot and the best you can hope for is getting lucky. Hmm. So the "secret" to success this year is get lucky - good plan.

Thomas helps us get better. Frankly, I'd rather add a very good 29-year-old than a crappy 25-year-old.

YES now we are getting it. But here's the thing: He helps you get better because he helps you stay the same for this year, maybe next. But at best all he's gonna do is maintain the situation you have: old linebackers. So he replaces Brushci, Vrabel, or whoever. Is that an improvement for the TEAM? No, but it does maintain the status quo nicely so that maybe you can take one last run - like I have been saying all along.

Perhaps the issue should become why you're so obsessed with age.... Is any of this getting through? Or is your hatred toward the Patriots so strong that you'll just believe what you want no matter what anyone says?

You'd like to deflect this issue onto me wouldn't you? Too bad - it ain't gonna happen. I'm just the messenger. It's not my fault your linebackers are old, so don't try to project something onto me because deep down you aren't happy with this situation. Typical. When you're clearly wrong - sometimes you like to start attacking the person rather than the idea. But please know that you can attack me all day - it's not gonna change the facts one iota. You still bought a "stand and maintain" guy for your team and you still haven't really addressed the age of your LBs - who were the main reason you won all those SBs. Deflect it on me all day - when you wake up tomorrow these facts will still be with you.

No it isn't.

Yeah. It is.

The main reasons everyone points to when talking about the Patriots success is the linebacking corp and Tom Brady.

I always hear it as Belichick and Brady.

I'm really not even sure what you're arguing anymore. In any event, it seems to simply be the deranged ranting of someone who's in denial over the fact that the Patriots got significantly better this weekend, and still have two 1st round picks in the upcoming draft. The foolish prognostications of the Pats' demise made by you and your ilk are looking worse by the day. I realize that's tough to handle, but when you deny reality, it only serves to make you seem foolish.

Yeah. It is.

If mere contradiction is indicative of the best you got when I clearly have the facts on my side well, God love ya!

I always hear it as Belichick and Brady.

You know that is BS. You know that because you have watched the same games we have. Over and over and over they talk about the LBs - you are being silly here.

I'm really not even sure what you're arguing anymore.

You know exactly what I am arguing and now you are trying to shut down the conversation - rather than address the points that were clearly stated.

In any event, it's simply the deranged ranting of someone who's in denial over the fact that the Patriots got significantly better this weekend, and still have two 1st round picks in the upcoming draft.

Great - so rather than addressing a logical argument now it's OCiP=Crazy. Ok, how about this: Your posts are simply the deranged ranting of someone who's in denial over that fact that the Patriots are in obvious decline and simply made a stopgap move this weekend to try and get one more year in. See, I can do it too. :blink:

The foolish prognostications of the Pats' demise made by you and your ilk are looking worse by the day. I realize that's tough to handle, but when you deny reality, it only serves to make you seem foolish.

So now you can predict the future better than anyone else can? Who's deranged again? The only thing that's tough to handle here is how you can deny the reality of the following:

1. Your LBs are old and wouldn't be starting anywhere else

2. Your stopgap measure merely serves to maintain #1

3. The draft has a low probability of solving this problem.

EDIT: 4. Based on history(which according to you is the exacting mirror of the future) Thomas is much more likely to fail than succeed.

That is reality - sorry, dude! Attacking me has nothing to do with changing #1-4 so don't waste our time.

Yet Borges ignores that Belichick - who just decided Thomas was worth a huge contract - is also terrific at assessing defensive talent.

It's a biased hit piece, plain and simple. It's what Borges does.

whats not biased is the history of FA busts after they leave ravens defense. thats a much more convincing history than bellichicken signing FA defensive players. really only harrison has made a splash and id call that charger stupidity more than bellichicken "genius." thats one questionable "genius" moves versus 9 ex-raven defender FA busts.

i repeat:

"Since the Ravens won the Super Bowl six years ago, they have lost a trainload of defensive talent in free agency. None of the players who departed went on to maintain their level of play at their new addresses.

That is true of defensive tackle Sam Adams, linebacker Jamie Sharper, cornerback Duane Starks, safety Kim Herring, cornerback Gary Baxter, defensive linemen Rob Burnett, Keith Washington, and Lionel Dalton, and linebacker Ed Hartwell."

whats not biased is the history of FA busts after they leave ravens defense. thats a much more convincing history than bellichicken signing FA defensive players. really only harrison has made a splash and id call that charger stupidity more than bellichicken "genius." thats one questionable "genius" moves versus 9 ex-raven defender FA busts.

i repeat:

"Since the Ravens won the Super Bowl six years ago, they have lost a trainload of defensive talent in free agency. None of the players who departed went on to maintain their level of play at their new addresses.

That is true of defensive tackle Sam Adams, linebacker Jamie Sharper, cornerback Duane Starks, safety Kim Herring, cornerback Gary Baxter, defensive linemen Rob Burnett, Keith Washington, and Lionel Dalton, and linebacker Ed Hartwell."

The bottom line here if Thomas doesnt' get hurt he is a huge upgrade to what they had. BTW they were 1 minute from going to the Super Bowl. Also they have the money to blow.

The bottom line here if Thomas doesnt' get hurt he is a huge upgrade to what they had. BTW they were 1 minute from going to the Super Bowl. Also they have the money to blow.

Conversely, they were also a play away, a handful of times, of losing in the 2nd round again. And no there's no Marty Schottenheimer to kick around in the playoffs.

Conversely, they were also a play away, a handful of times, of losing in the 2nd round again. And no there's no Marty Schottenheimer to kick around in the playoffs.

Right. That's the only reason they won. <_< Get a clue folks, NE is a good team. Good teams find a way to win. I like to believe the Bills are on their way to being a good team that can find a way to win at the end of the game.

Right. That's the only reason they won. <_< Get a clue folks, NE is a good team. Good teams find a way to win. I like to believe the Bills are on their way to being a good team that can find a way to win at the end of the game.

By finding a way to win do you mean happening to be on the other sideline when another team that is clearly better than you self-destructs?

So what happened in the Colts game, losing an 18 point lead and Brady throwing an INT to end the game?

Sorry but by all accounts, the Pats should have lost to the Chargers. But Marty is what he is.

By finding a way to win do you mean happening to be on the other sideline when another team that is clearly better than you self-destructs?

Better talent does not equal a better team. Key word being *team*

So what happened in the Colts game, losing an 18 point lead and Brady throwing an INT to end the game?

Sorry but by all accounts, the Pats should have lost to the Chargers. But Marty is what he is.

You know what? Good teams do lose. It's a known fact. But you go ahead and keep saying it's all on Marty.

Agreed - but how does being a good team account for the other team handing you the game?

Right. NE should have called the game right then and there when it became apparent SD wasn't playing well. Damn NE! <_<