The Willis Plan

Forgive me if this post turns out to be similar to some others that may have gone up recently. I have been wrapped up in the real world and have not visited the wall in some time. Still, I have been thinking about this for a while now and felt compelled to share it and see what some of the more savvy posters thought.

Willis and Rosy boy made it very clear that Willis wanted a new contract. They also made it clear that said contract should be commensurate with that of one of the top backs in the league. Willis himself has made it known that he is not a fan of Buffalo and would rather be in a bigger market. Willis inflames the situation more with his Toronto comments in Penthouse, then in a stroke of luck if my theory is right, he gets popped with another paternity suit. (I digress, but imagine how many of those he could rack up in NYC)

Everyone knows that Marv and Ralph covet character guys so this means Willis may get his way and get an out. The thing is, Marv is not a dumb man by any stretch. He knows he has a number of other holes to fill already and getting a starting running back is just one more big hole to open up. So here is how he responds. He lets it be known that Willis is being shopped. Lets the trade rumours fly and sees what comes up. There is marginal interest which is excatly what he was hoping for. After all, if no one is willing to give up more thant a third or fourth rounder, what does a third or fourth round running back make? To keep the value deflated, the Bills leak a story about Willis' commitment to the game and his inability to learn the playbook...

With that doubt raised, and only a few potential trade suitors offering a pittance, now Willis and Drew can hardly argue his worth and renegotiate. Marv goes about his business, addresses the other holes, and lets Willis stew. In effect he turns Willis into a player who will actually have to earn the big contract by playing well. In effect he has become a "rent a player" for the 07 season. If the new line is as good as the pundits think, he will have no excuse for not having a monster year. At the end of the monster year a couple of things can happen.

1. Willis matures, realizes the opportunity he may have hear, and resigns.

2. Willis still wants out but his value is greatly enhanced, so they franchise him and trade him.

The thing is if he has a monster year the odds are that the Bills are in the playoffs. Now the Bills have a better opportunity to get a good free agent to come because of the better line and the fact they have evolved into a contender.

If he does not have a monster year then all bets are off. What do you think?

quite frankly, im to the point where im all for grabbing a RB in the 2nd round and starting him this season.

if Willis is barely worth a 3rd/4th to other teams now, after a 990 yard season, lets see how much money he can go get after a 350 yard season. he didnt are about the team (or even his career) enough last season to bother 1. learning the playbook and 2. running hard, he an go rot.

he's a punk, he's not the type of guy we want or need here.

its unfortunate cause i was a big willis fan and a semi-supporter up until this past week. but enough is enough.

its time to move on and distance ourselves from players like Willis.

Forgive me if this post turns out to be similar to some others that may have gone up recently. I have been wrapped up in the real world and have not visited the wall in some time. Still, I have been thinking about this for a while now and felt compelled to share it and see what some of the more savvy posters thought.

Willis and Rosy boy made it very clear that Willis wanted a new contract. They also made it clear that said contract should be commensurate with that of one of the top backs in the league. Willis himself has made it known that he is not a fan of Buffalo and would rather be in a bigger market. Willis inflames the situation more with his Toronto comments in Penthouse, then in a stroke of luck if my theory is right, he gets popped with another paternity suit. (I digress, but imagine how many of those he could rack up in NYC)

Everyone knows that Marv and Ralph covet character guys so this means Willis may get his way and get an out. The thing is, Marv is not a dumb man by any stretch. He knows he has a number of other holes to fill already and getting a starting running back is just one more big hole to open up. So here is how he responds. He lets it be known that Willis is being shopped. Lets the trade rumours fly and sees what comes up. There is marginal interest which is excatly what he was hoping for. After all, if no one is willing to give up more thant a third or fourth rounder, what does a third or fourth round running back make? To keep the value deflated, the Bills leak a story about Willis' commitment to the game and his inability to learn the playbook...

With that doubt raised, and only a few potential trade suitors offering a pittance, now Willis and Drew can hardly argue his worth and renegotiate. Marv goes about his business, addresses the other holes, and lets Willis stew. In effect he turns Willis into a player who will actually have to earn the big contract by playing well. In effect he has become a "rent a player" for the 07 season. If the new line is as good as the pundits think, he will have no excuse for not having a monster year. At the end of the monster year a couple of things can happen.

2. Willis still wants out but his value is greatly enhanced, so they franchise him and trade him.

The thing is if he has a monster year the odds are that the Bills are in the playoffs. Now the Bills have a better opportunity to get a good free agent to come because of the better line and the fact they have evolved into a contender.

I think that's a terrific post and pretty good chance. I also expect Willis to be here this year and put up some very good numbers. I also think, while he has a bad attitude, if he gets blocking and we have a team that has a chance to contend, his bad attitude goes away. Long enough, at least, while we have a chance at the playoffs. I also think you won't see nearly as much dancing, because there will be actual holes to run through.

Great post, imo.