Anybody ever been to the Marshall Islands?

Buffan00

Going there soon for work..anybody ever been or heard anything good about the place??

Uhhh...it's a historic battlefield. There's probably 60-year old Japanese field fortifications you can check out. And if you dive and aren't afraid of sharks, the reefs are probably interesting.

Other than that...it's a postage stamp in the middle of the Pacific. It's the quintessential definition of "bored to death".

I lived there as a young man from Jan 70 to June 72. In those days, no TV but free movies everyy night at 2-3 screens around the island. The island is shaped like a horseshoe about a mile wide and three miles long. 80 degrees every day of the year. Humid. If you are a beach person, swimmer, snorkler, fisherman, or seashell collector you will have achieved bliss. Most of the working people either flew or ferried to islands further down the atoll for work. Not sure I would want to live there now, but I would kill for a visit.

My late father-in-law participated in bombing Jap positions in the Marshalls during WWII.

What brings you there?

Fire Chief position with abnormally high salary! Plus I can bring my family at their expense! Thanks for all the responses!

Fire Chief position with abnormally high salary! Plus I can bring my family at their expense! Thanks for all the responses!

Congrats! :worthy:

A few tips about billeting to out-of-they way places:

Pack the luggage with quantities of peanuts...dry roasted and conventional greasy jobs. Fats and proteins. Also sufficient multi-vitamins - Centrum, One-a-Day etc.

Juicy Fruit chewing gum, too. Sugar content. And hard candy. None of the no-sugar stuff. Band-aids and a tube of neosporin. Some of the diarrhea tablets, Tums usw. Plenty of other stuff, but I'm sure you have your list. Don't eschew the local remedies.

You do face a period of dietary adjustment. :)

Congrats! :worthy:

A few tips about billeting to out-of-they way places:

Pack the luggage with quantities of peanuts...dry roasted and conventional greasy jobs. Fats and proteins. Also sufficient multi-vitamins - Centrum, One-a-Day etc.

Juicy Fruit chewing gum, too. Sugar content. And hard candy. None of the no-sugar stuff. Band-aids and a tube of neosporin. Some of the diarrhea tablets, Tums usw. Plenty of other stuff, but I'm sure you have your list. Don't eschew the local remedies.

You do face a period of dietary adjustment. :)

Yeah I worked in Budapest, Hungary for 2 years as a Fire Inspector. I know first-hand the "adjustment" period. Although, my kids 2 and 4 have never been over-seas before, so I hope it dosent effect them too much!