Giants's GM tampered

scribo

Reese also said that the Bills never once talked price. I don't know either way, but I would think that a tampering charge would have to reach that level, as in what are you asking for him, in order for it to be tampering with a contract. Just saying, nod nod, wink wink, is Willis available I wouldn't think passes that threshold.

Simply saying that he is interested in or will be interested in a player on another team is tampering.

Simply saying that he is interested in or will be interested in a player on another team is tampering.

Maybe, you seem to know about this stuff. Still, with that said, it doesn't make any sense to me. If, according to all these posts, part of the Bills strategy at the combine was to let it be known that Willis is available, but no one is allowed to even mention his name, what exactly happened? The Bills just sit around ripping up McGahee jerseys and autographed cards, whistling idly, hoping someone will get the hint, and then not talk about it because they can't?

Maybe, you seem to know about this stuff. Still, with that said, it doesn't make any sense to me. If, according to all these posts, part of the Bills strategy at the combine was to let it be known that Willis is available, but no one is allowed to even mention his name, what exactly happened? The Bills just sit around ripping up McGahee jerseys and autographed cards, whistling idly, hoping someone will get the hint, and then not talk about it because they can't?

No, the Bills can talk about it, as they hold the contract. They can talk behind closed doors with other teams or they can tell the press themselves. I believe McGahee can talk about it, too, but other teams cannot be the first to tell the world. What has often happened though, is that team officials have leaked it to the press by asking the reporters to not report the names of the their sources. That is against the tampering rules, but it happens. Of course, Reese apparently didn't remember or know the rules when he spoke up.

It is not the player's rights being tampered with, it is the Bills'. What this means, IMHO, is that there are probably several teams quietly shopping a player or two of theirs. Obviously there is the risk that it will be leaked.