I found a silver lining

LevysEraII

This is year two of building Marv's team. He threw out fully a third of TD's last squad and another 8-10 will leave with this year's snow melt.

The fear is we won't get near enough to the top by continually drafting small bodied skill players who don't stay beyond their first chance to cash in big bucks in order to break the bank with some bodacious FA signings as you've suggested.

I hope I'm wrong, because if I don't want to be right.

This is year two of building Marv's team. He threw out fully a third of TD's last squad and another 8-10 will leave with this year's snow melt.

The fear is we won't get near enough to the top by continually drafting small bodied skill players who don't stay beyond their first chance to cash in big bucks in order to break the bank with some bodacious FA signings as you've suggested.

I hope I'm wrong, because if I don't want to be right.

It's possible. The Marlins won the championship with one of the smallest payrolls in MLB. The Patriots won three titles with a small payroll. The Eagles are competitive every year and their payroll isn't very high either.

It's possible. The Marlins won the championship with one of the smallest payrolls in MLB. The Patriots won three titles with a small payroll. The Eagles are competitive every year and their payroll isn't very high either.

True, but the raging debate is whether we can build a team that would be poised to make a run at it all by continually loading up with little people. That's not what the Pats did, nor did Philly, and some would argue you can't build a championship team without having some very sizable big asses up front to wall out the opposing defense and to collapse the opposing offense.

Even if you're a proponent of the Cover-Your-Ass-2-Step approach to Defense, you need a strong 1 Technique DT. Tim Anderson's not that guy, so much so that he might be unemployed on June 1st. McCargo is not that guy, nor is Tripplett. The closest we come to an impact player there is Kyle Williams and he's a little light in the tush to be taking a season-long pounding and be expected to have much long-term effectiveness.

So, absent any big ass signings of big-assed FA DTs, if Marv takes a CB or LB with his first pick we'll know we're going small, small, small.

If he goes QB or WR we'll all be put on suicide alert. :rolleyes:

I like the approach!

Solidify the QB, WR, and RB positions this year while the defense is maturing.

Any holes at the end of next year can then be zeroed in with 1st round draft pick or a big name free agent to take you over the top. Only thing that would set back the franchise a couple of years is Losman, if he fails. Other than that all parts can be replaced and fine tuned.

Too bad we wasted 6 years with that Donanhue jerk!!!

The Patriots and Eagles spend to the cap every year.

They just don;t overpay aging, over-the-hill talent