Cap to the Cap

Midwest

If you weed through the wackos and nonsense it has been explained quite clearly. As the saying goes, it's not rocket surgery. I have been one of the biggest critics of the policy but I don't think the team is doomed at all. And I don't need to see a lot of big names brought in, or money spent foolishly.

But this team, any team, is like a house. We happen to have been a fixer-upper. You can spend a lot of foolish money on fixing up your house, like the Redskins, and it makes it no better. In fact, the neighbors laugh at you and it falls apart. But if you think your house is not a LOT better with the home improvement of Nate Clements, one of the top three guards, Drew Bennett, or a few others which the Bills cannot sign because of this unnecessary, self-imposed policy, you're mad.

And, believe me, I do thank you and the many others that have done everything possible to explain this concept. For the mathematically challenged, such as myself, I need all the help I can get. I'd still not say I completely understand. But, to me, it sounds like business as usual for Ralph and Marv. They're saying they'll not spend money foolishly. Hence, Nate and other FAs will not get bloated, over-sized contracts (not that they won't make them an offer). But, they'd rather bring in 3-4 guys rather than 1 guy. Personally, I find it hard to argue with that.

I think the key to this approach is to decide which guys are worth that big money and which aren't. In some instances they guess right (Moulds), in others they get it wrong (Williams).

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But if you think your house is not a LOT better with the home improvement of Nate Clements, one of the top three guards, Drew Bennett, or a few others which the Bills cannot sign because of this unnecessary, self-imposed policy, you're mad.

I agree, on the surface, Nate seems like a no-brainer. You have to keep him. But, we've seen nothing of Youbouty. The coaches have. If they've determined that he's 75% (just to make up some arbitrary number for arguments sake) as good as Nate; but he's millions less in money. They can take the money savings and sign a few Defensive linemen that'll slow the run. Hence although one position is a little weaker, the entire defense is stronger.

It sounded like Marv stressed the OL, so I'm hopeful they'll target a few of those guys. So I'll reserve my critism for them not bringing in a good OG for a few weeks.

I guess, I'm just trusting that Marv has a plan and until I see another off season of FA and drafting, its hard to say we're doomed yet. We may be, but other teams (most notably the Patriots) have a tradition of letting seemingly good players go, just to sign several other lower tier guys and remain competitive. Can we do that? I don't know, but that seems to be the approach.