I know I'm gonna take a beating on this...

OCinBuffalo

I think DiGiorgio can do the job. He is fast, smart and can hit hard. The scout film I have seen on him(it's out there you can see it too), yes D2 - but still impressive to say the least. He did a great job on special teams this year - from watching the games on timekills.org. The guy hustles and seems to have a great attitude. What specifically is wrong with him getting a shot at MLB? The fact that he's from a small program? Um, so is London Fletcher and Zack Thomas.

What I'm looking for is substantive arguments here - not "he sucks", or one stat - like his 40 time. Why we do we have to go get someone no matter what? I guess what I'm asking is this: is there a 100% guarantee that DiGiorgio cannot be the guy? How about 80%? Wherever that line is drawn, does it mean that we have to arbitrarily draft/sign a MLB because he simply cannot do the job? I'm not saying that we drop all plans and have blind faith in the guy. I am saying that if F-B goes, it's not like we don't have two options in Crowell and DiGiorgio because I think Spikes is fine and Ellison can do the job. Based on the needs we definitely have(in order): OL, DL, CB - I would put LB fourth. Who says we can't get a journeyman LB in FA, for depth, and leave LB draft picks to the fourth round or later?

I think DiGiorgio can do the job. He is fast, smart and can hit hard. The scout film I have seen on him(it's out there you can see it too), yes D2 - but still impressive to say the least. He did a great job on special teams this year - from watching the games on timekills.org. The guy hustles and seems to have a great attitude. What specifically is wrong with him getting a shot at MLB? The fact that he's from a small program? Um, so is London Fletcher and Zack Thomas.

What I'm looking for is substantive arguments here - not "he sucks", or one stat - like his 40 time. Why we do we have to go get someone no matter what? I guess what I'm asking is this: is there a 100% guarantee that DiGiorgio cannot be the guy? How about 80%? Wherever that line is drawn, does it mean that we have to arbitrarily draft/sign a MLB because he simply cannot do the job? I'm not saying that we drop all plans and have blind faith in the guy. I am saying that if F-B goes, it's not like we don't have two options in Crowell and DiGiorgio because I think Spikes is fine and Ellison can do the job. Based on the needs we definitely have(in order): OL, DL, CB - I would put LB fourth. Who says we can't get a journeyman LB in FA, for depth, and leave LB draft picks to the fourth round or later?

He has potential OC -- but if I learned anything from the Losman experience its that when there is an open position you bring in legitimate competition -- either through the draft or free agency to compete for it...there is no way I would award the job to John at this point even if he had played some substantial minutes last year in a back up role (which he did not)...I think that competing for open roles is the philosophy of this staff and its a great way to build depth. So Youboty doesn't have a lock on Nate's corner slot; Hargrove is not a lock to be in the DE rotation if we let Kelsay go, etc. Bring in legitimate competition and let the contenders play it out...

If he can win the job against legit competition sure why not. However we shouldn't be going into next season with him as our main mlb or him and some scrub from Average Joe Tech Div II football.

I don't know if he's big enough, however you do know where Fletch came from right? (hint it's a Div III scrub school named John Carroll and actually started at another Div III school to play basketball - hint it's called St Francis. )