Carlisle FA OG

Broncos | Carlisle likely to test market

Wed, 7 Feb 2007 08:14:37 -0800

Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports the Denver Broncos will likely allow pending free agent OG Cooper Carlisle to test the market.

With the Ticket I watch alot of games and Denver is usually one of the better 4pm games. Bottom line is they know how to get things done in terms of blocking and assignments. Not sure how much he is looking to bank on this deal but if affordable the why not get that proven starter.

Thoughts?

Broncos | Carlisle likely to test market

Wed, 7 Feb 2007 08:14:37 -0800

Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports the Denver Broncos will likely allow pending free agent OG Cooper Carlisle to test the market.

With the Ticket I watch alot of games and Denver is usually one of the better 4pm games. Bottom line is they know how to get things done in terms of blocking and assignments. Not sure how much he is looking to bank on this deal but if affordable the why not get that proven starter.

Thoughts?

was he a starter or a Tutan Reyes (marginal reserve on a solid OL)?

Carlisle has been a starter the past 2 seasons, before that was a reserve olinemen appearing in only 6 games in the previous 5 seasons. I'm weary of broncos offensive linemen. They're good at crack back blocks allowing good cutback lanes for rb's. However will get manhandled and are not reliable in pass protection. I haven't watched the broncos a hell of a lot, but I'd be weary bringing in broncos offensive linemen.

Carlisle has been a starter the past 2 seasons, before that was a reserve olinemen appearing in only 6 games in the previous 5 seasons. I'm weary of broncos offensive linemen. They're good at crack back blocks allowing good cutback lanes for rb's. However will get manhandled and are not reliable in pass protection. I haven't watched the broncos a hell of a lot, but I'd be weary bringing in broncos offensive linemen.

I am weary about that whole crack back blocking scheme myself. But from what I've seen that entire O-line plays pretty good.

The Broncos blockers only work within their scheme. Look what happened when we snatched up Trey Teague. We had to immediately shift him from tackle to center, where he was below-average for 3 years.

Is this Carlisle a big guy? I'd like to get a big road-grader at guard.

Carlisle's 295# so hardly a road grader. Also he had an off year last season as gave up a career high 6.0 sacks. Personally if I was going to go with a career backup OG I'd rather have Montrae Holland of the Saints who is bigger at 322# and younger. Of course I would also draft another G to compete with Holland then just hand him the starting job.