Peyton can't win big games

Simon

Ah... Rex Grossman will NEVER WIN the big game...

I get to go to work this fine winter morn (now -4 below actual temp) a VERY HAPPY MAN!...

In classless, jackass fashion, I can antagonize the dumbarse Bears' fans that can't see that this team was only good on paper... Beating happless, sucky teams all year! Sure they beat Seattle and New Orleans... Wow wee!

Exposed just like Dick Jauron's 2001 Bears that went 13-3... It just took them a few games longer this time...

This team would struggle to be 9-7 in the AFC...

God, I love antagonizing deluded Bears' fan...

As Denny Green said: "This exactly who the Bears' were!"... Too bad Denny, you had a sucky team...

Congrats to Peyton. What can I say- I love to root against him. Cant figure out why he rubs me the wrong way and I am no anti- person. Peyton seems like a great guy and does alot for charity, and is a very good QB. Why do I dislike him so much? My guess is he is way overexposed, was born with a silver spoon, Eli sucks, Archie and Peyton had no business crying to San Diego about little Eli, and Peyton did underachieve with some great teams, not to mention tonight 3 Indy TDs were scored by the defense and a blown coverage, and oh yeah-Peyton was a kitty tonight on two plays...... oh well-congrats Peyton! I will back off on you for now

I agree with most of what you say. Manning didn't get his team in the end zone that much in the redzone. But he didn't make the stupid mistakes like he did in the past. Like throwing INTs in the endzone against the Patroits in the playoffs a few years ago.

Consider this: "The defense carried this day for the Colts" Rich Eisen NFL Network.

I've never seen a QB play so poorly stat wise in the playoffs and come out with the trophy.

This playoff run reminds me of the lesson I learned while watching Elway finally get his rings -the most talented QB cannot win a championship without a good defense and running game.

That said, I suffered through a lot of bad football in the playoffs to see it happen. The Colts were beatable, just not by the Bears.

This playoff run reminds me of the lesson I learned while watching Elway finally get his rings -the most talented QB cannot win a championship without a good defense and running game.

That said, I suffered through a lot of bad football in the playoffs to see it happen. The Colts were beatable, just not by the Bears.

Very well said. If the Bills would have run the ball a little more against the Giants in 1990 they would have won.

Year after year, he had a terrible playoff defense and the secondaries of other teams were raping his receivers. I cant remember what year it was, but it was the playoffs before they started to reinforce the 5-yard chuck rule. Ty Law and company was all over Harrison and Co, 20-30 yards down field, and yet everyone was wondering why Manning was doing so poorly?

Since the Colts didn't play the Patriots in every postseason game during Harrison's career, that's a load of crap. Harrison just doesn't show up in the big games. People bring up the fact that he's double covered a lot so others get more opportunities, but I can think of a receiver who had tremendous success in a Super Bowl while being the only true receiving threat (Terrell Owens, who I despise, but you give credit where it's due).

I'll bet if you looked @ the postseason stats of the top 15 WRs, very few of them have as significant a dropoff in production from regular season to postseason as Harrison does.

Here's something I prepared a while ago (before this year's playoffs), for your reading pleasure. I did this to answer all the "Peyton Manning chokes in the big game/It's all Peyton's fault" critics:

Postseason Statistics: Peyton Manning vs Marvin Harrison

Manning

Game 1: 19-16 vs TEN (L)

19 of 43 for 227 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT; 2 rushes, 22 yds, 1 TD

Game 2: 23-17 vs MIA (L)

17 of 32 for 194 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT; 1 rush, -2 yds, 0 TD

Game 3: 41-0 vs NYJ (L)

14 of 31 for 137 yds, 0 TD, 2 INT; 1 rush, 2 yds, 0 TD

Game 4: 41-10 vs DEN (W)

22 of 26 for 377 yds, 5 TD, 0 INT; 1 rush, 0 yds, 0 TD

Game 5: 38-31 vs KC (W)

22 of 30 for 304 yds, 3 TD, 0 INT; 1 rush, -1 yds, 0 TD

Game 6: 24-14 vs NE (L)

23 of 47 for 237 yds, 1 TD, 4 INT; 2 rushes, 4 yds, 0 TD

Game 7: 49-24 vs DEN (W)

27 of 33 for 457 yds, 4 TD, 1 INT; 1 rush, 1 yd, 1 TD

Game 8: 20-3 vs NE (L)

27 of 42 for 238 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT; 1 rush, 6 yds, 0 TD

Game 9: 21-18 vs PIT (L)

22 of 38 for 290 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT; no rushes

Harrison

Game 1: 19-16 vs TEN (L)

5 rec for 65 yds, 0 TD; no rushes

Game 2: 23-17 vs MIA (L)

5 rec for 63 yds, 0 TD; no rushes

Game 3: 41-0 vs NYJ (L)

4 rec for 47 yds, 0 TD; no rushes

Game 4: 41-10 vs DEN (W)

7 rec for 133 yds, 2 TD; no rushes

Game 5: 38-31 vs KC (W)

6 rec for 98 yds, 0 TD; no rushes

Game 6: 24-14 vs NE (L)

3 rec for 19 yds, 0 TD; no rushes

Game 7: 49-24 vs DEN (W)

4 rec for 50 yds, 0 TD; no rushes

Game 8: 20-3 vs NE (L)

5 rec for 44 yds, 0 TD; no rushes

Game 9: 21-18 vs PIT (L)

3 rec for 52 yds, 0 TD; no rushes

Manning to Harrison TDs

Regular season: 106 TDs (275 total; 38.5% of total TDs thrown)

Postseason: 2 TDs (14 total; 14.2% of total TDs thrown)

Manning has failed to throw a TD in 3 of his 9 postseason games w/ Harrison.

Harrison has failed to catch a TD in 8 of his 9 postseason games w/ Manning.

Manning has thrown for 200 or more yards in 7 of his 9 postseason games w/ Harrison.

Harrison has 50 or more receiving yards in 6 of his 9 postseason games w/ Manning.

Manning has thrown for 300 or more yards in 3 of his 9 postseason games w/ Harrison.

Harrison has 100 or more receiving yards in 1 of his 9 postseason games w/ Manning.

In Manning’s best postseason performance, he threw for 457 yards and 4 TDs while running for one more. In the same game, Harrison caught 4 passes for 50 yards and no score.

Since 1999, in 9 postseason games, Marvin Harrison has caught 42 passes for 571 yards and 2 TDs. In 10 postseason games since 1999, Torry Holt has caught 47 passes for 630 yards and 4 TDs. The Colts have a 3-6 record in Harrison’s postseason career; the Rams are 6-4 in Holt’s. The Colts have 0 AFC title wins (0-2 in AFC title game) and 0 Super Bowl appearances since 1999. The Rams have 2 NFC title wins (2-0 in NFC title game) and 2 Super Bowl appearances w/ one win since 1999.

I believe most of his truly poor playoff games were from 1999-2002. Since then he has thrown 2937 yards, 17 TD's and 13 INT's. In those next 10 playoff games, he had two truly bad games. This year against Baltimore and in 2003 against NE. He combined for 1 TD and 6 INT in those TWO games. In the other EIGHT games he had 16 TD's, and 7 INT's.

Yeah you can take away his two worst games from a selective time period and make his stats look good.

You can also take away the two Denver games from his whole postseason career and make them look bad.

Since the Colts didn't play the Patriots in every postseason game during Harrison's career, that's a load of crap. Harrison just doesn't show up in the big games. People bring up the fact that he's double covered a lot so others get more opportunities, but I can think of a receiver who had tremendous success in a Super Bowl while being the only true receiving threat (Terrell Owens, who I despise, but you give credit where it's due).

I'll bet if you looked @ the postseason stats of the top 15 WRs, very few of them have as significant a dropoff in production from regular season to postseason as Harrison does.

Here's something I prepared a while ago (before this year's playoffs), for your reading pleasure. I did this to answer all the "Peyton Manning chokes in the big game/It's all Peyton's fault" critics:

I'm not sure what your getting at, considering I agree with everything you put in your post. I was simply talking about ONE post-season game, the year before the 5 yard chuck rule was reinforced, that TY Law and Co. were all over Harrison and Co. making it harder for Manning to complete passes downfield. Thats all I was saying. I never brought up every postseason game or anything to that point.

Yeah you can take away his two worst games from a selective time period and make his stats look good.

You can also take away the two Denver games from his whole postseason career and make them look bad.

... and if I was taking out 5 of his 10 playoff games, then you would have a point. Yet I am only taking out TWO of his playoff games. My point being that EVERYONE, has a bad game once in a while. 2 bad playoff games out of 10 is not a bad number, in my personal opinion. But hey, lets look at it in your way for a minute. Lets throw in his 2 worst games ... so now we have his COMPLETE last 10 playoff games, bad and good, and he STILL comes out to somewhere around a 91 or 92 passer rating. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what your getting at, considering I agree with everything you put in your post. I was simply talking about ONE post-season game, the year before the 5 yard chuck rule was reinforced, that TY Law and Co. were all over Harrison and Co. making it harder for Manning to complete passes downfield. Thats all I was saying. I never brought up every postseason game or anything to that point.

Even in that game, I thought Harrison and Marcus Pollard, above all else, spent more time whining to officials than working to get open. If you're not getting the calls, deal w/ it. Trust me, they're not the only team to get the short end of the stick when it comes to the officials.

Even in that game, I thought Harrison and Marcus Pollard, above all else, spent more time whining to officials than working to get open. If you're not getting the calls, deal w/ it. Trust me, they're not the only team to get the short end of the stick when it comes to the officials.

Once again, I agree. But that doesn't change the fact that the referees called such a bad game that it influenced the NFL to reinforce the rule.

... and if I was taking out 5 of his 10 playoff games, then you would have a point. Yet I am only taking out TWO of his playoff games. My point being that EVERYONE, has a bad game once in a while. 2 bad playoff games out of 10 is not a bad number, in my personal opinion. But hey, lets look at it in your way for a minute. Lets throw in his 2 worst games ... so now we have his COMPLETE last 10 playoff games, bad and good, and he STILL comes out to somewhere around a 91 or 92 passer rating. :rolleyes:

It's great that you pretend like I'm the spin-doctor when you're the one pulling a selective sample of games out of thin air. "My way" is looking at his entire career, which I don't think is unfair seeing as though he had two full seasons under his belt by the time he played his first play postseason game.

He has had more than 2 bad games - that's a fact and that's all I was responding to.

They also thumped the Bills 40-7.

Exactly my point... Bills were a sucky team!

Who'd they play this year?

The only good team they faced was NE and lost... Seattle and NO may be considered good... Not in NE's league.

They faced the Jets, and Giants... :rolleyes:

All the rest sucked... Flat out sucked!

The Bears were a product of a soft schedule and some home field advantage...

They also lost to GB (late in the season) and Miami (with unbeaten streak on the line at home).

It's great that you pretend like I'm the spin-doctor when you're the one pulling a selective sample of games out of thin air. "My way" is looking at his entire career, which I don't think is unfair seeing as though he had two full seasons under his belt by the time he played his first play postseason game.

He has had more than 2 bad games - that's a fact and that's all I was responding to.

And then I said that in his past 10 playoff games, he has had 2 bad games ... and you responded to that also. I also was not trying to make you out to be a "spin-doctor" ... whatever you think that is. :rolleyes: