Lorenzo Booker

Ramius

Alright, heres anothe rplayer update from FSU.

http://seminoles.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/..._lorenzo00.html

This past season Booker put up some reallly paltry numbers, but anyone who has watched FSU will easily tell you this is due to the lack of a decent coherent offense, and piss poor offensive coaching.

Booker is a hell of a scat back. Consider him the poor man's reggie bush/warrick dunn. Paired with a bigger back, he could be a huge threat. Booker doesnt have the size to play every down right away (5'11" 193), but will make an excellent 3rd down back. He's got the moves, the intial quickness, and has the speed to outrun LB's and quite a few DB's. Can also make defenders miss. Booker was lethal in catching passes out fo the backfield, and tore it up in the emerald bowl, when FSU paid him a farewell by letting him carry the load. He's a threat to take it all the way each time he touches the ball.

Bottom line: Booker will make an excellent addition to whoever drafts him. He can run, catch, and was VERY effective here at FSU on punt and kick returns. A bit on the smallish side, but if used effectively, can be extremely dangerous. Get him 5-7 carries and 4-6 catcher per game and he'll do some damage. Poor coaching cost him here at FSU, not allowing him to reach his potential.

Draft: I'm not sure where he's projected to go, but if he falls to day 2, someone is getting a hell of a steal. If the Bills were looking at add a RB in the draft, Booker would be an excellent middle round candidate. Booker is at the very least as good as FSU counterpart Leon Washington, with a differnt skill set. (Watching Leon's play elevate at the NFL level over his college days gives a good backdrop about the horrendous offensive coaching/play calling down here)

I've followed Booker's career with some interest as he was supposed to be our #1 recruit my freshman year. The story I heard was that he was going to pick ND and FSU came through with something extra at the last second and he chose them at his ESPN press conference. He was the #1 recruit in the nation and losing him was a big blow to what was a struggling ND team. Anyway, who knows if that story was true, but I do know that we probably made his choice to go to FSU easier. When he visited ND, one of my boys on the team took him around and showed him a good time like they do at all schools recruiting blue-chippers. So they obviously also threw him a girl to entertain him. However, the girl they gave him was this kinda fat, not too pretty Indian chick who had already blown half the team and she was just a freshman. When I found out this was the girl they had tossed him, I pretty much gave up on ever seeing him in a blue jersey.

Anyway, I never saw him as much as you Ramius, but my opinion is pretty similar to what you said. Obviously had talent, just couldn't quite put it together. I always thought at first that he was just a bust who couldn't live up to his billing, but as FSU quickly declined offensively over the years, it became apparent that they didn't have much of a clue how to use anybody, let alone Lorenzo Booker.

I'd take a flier on him Day 2 just like you suggest. The talent is there and it's not often you can pick up someone with such natural skills at such a late stage unless he has serious injury problems or off-field baggage. Booker's drop will be primarily due to misuse and the general environment of incompetence that was FSU's offensive coaching for the past 3 years or so.

I've followed Booker's career with some interest as he was supposed to be our #1 recruit my freshman year. The story I heard was that he was going to pick ND and FSU came through with something extra at the last second and he chose them at his ESPN press conference. He was the #1 recruit in the nation and losing him was a big blow to what was a struggling ND team. Anyway, who knows if that story was true, but I do know that we probably made his choice to go to FSU easier. When he visited ND, one of my boys on the team took him around and showed him a good time like they do at all schools recruiting blue-chippers. So they obviously also threw him a girl to entertain him. However, the girl they gave him was this kinda fat, not too pretty Indian chick who had already blown half the team and she was just a freshman. When I found out this was the girl they had tossed him, I pretty much gave up on ever seeing him in a blue jersey.

Anyway, I never saw him as much as you Ramius, but my opinion is pretty similar to what you said. Obviously had talent, just couldn't quite put it together. I always thought at first that he was just a bust who couldn't live up to his billing, but as FSU quickly declined offensively over the years, it became apparent that they didn't have much of a clue how to use anybody, let alone Lorenzo Booker.

I'd take a flier on him Day 2 just like you suggest. The talent is there and it's not often you can pick up someone with such natural skills at such a late stage unless he has serious injury problems or off-field baggage. Booker's drop will be primarily due to misuse and the general environment of incompetence that was FSU's offensive coaching for the past 3 years or so.

the offensive coaching was non-existent down here the last few years. Look what Leon washington did with the jets this year. I know it was the coaching, because when put in a position to do well, the players, booker included, usually produced. But our offensive staff was a cluster!@#$. Hence the reason the entire staff was replaced this offseason. I really cant stress how bad they were and just how bad they messed up the careers of some really good players.

Notice in the Emerald bowl, when booker was given the chance to shine, he ran 22-91 with 2 TD's, and caught 5-117 (long of 39, so all of his yards didnt come on 1 catch). Used properly, he's a warrick dunn clone. High end potential could be that of reggie bush (run-catch-return homerun threat)

• 2 months later...
When he visited ND, one of my boys on the team took him around and showed him a good time like they do at all schools recruiting blue-chippers. So they obviously also threw him a girl to entertain him. However, the girl they gave him was this kinda fat, not too pretty Indian chick who had already blown half the team and she was just a freshman. When I found out this was the girl they had tossed him, I pretty much gave up on ever seeing him in a blue jersey.

I sincerely believe this is the most informative post that TSW has seen in quite awhile. It is also funny...a BIG PLUS.

You made my day, Bart.