Roscoe should be returning kicks

generaLee83

My guess is that he would be a probably very good to possibly great KR guy, However, if he were given this role it would mean taking it from McGee who is a definite very good to quite often great return guy.

While some folks even go as far as badmouthing McGee this simply seems to be the case of hold him to a standard of his really great year returning kicks when he has simply fallen back to being very good.

Their disappointment in McGee says more about these fans having expectations which are rarely achieved and being willing to throw a very good KR guy under the bus for not being phenomenal.

Giving Parrish the role almost certainly would result to little or no upgrade in KR performance at the risk of getting less out of two players and makes little football sense I can see.

My guess is that he would be a probably very good to possibly great KR guy, However, if he were given this role it would mean taking it from McGee who is a definite very good to quite often great return guy.

While some folks even go as far as badmouthing McGee this simply seems to be the case of hold him to a standard of his really great year returning kicks when he has simply fallen back to being very good.

Their disappointment in McGee says more about these fans having expectations which are rarely achieved and being willing to throw a very good KR guy under the bus for not being phenomenal.

Giving Parrish the role almost certainly would result to little or no upgrade in KR performance at the risk of getting less out of two players and makes little football sense I can see.

I suggest to take the chance on Parrish at KR as being possibly being less risky than McGee becoming injured on ST and losing his ability to play corner. Kind of like this

McGee KR + McGee CB= 5 (relative number but trying to represent value to the team)

Parrish PR + Parrish WR=3

Parrish KR +Parrish PR +Parrish WR=4 with less loss if he were to be injured returning kicks as his play at WR is good but not stupendous and certainly is not something that the team hinges on.

To simplify, Parrish's role as WR is less needed than McGee's at CB.

I say this because I see some trouble ahead at the CB position for the Bills. If Clements is gone and Kiwaukee Thomas leaves (which has been alluded to by posters and media sources) then McGee and Youboty suddenly become #1 and #2 barring a productive CB grabbed in the draft.

I understand the value argument, but I am continually baffled by the sentiment that we should remove from play one of the best football players at his position. We are lucky enough to have playing for us maybe the best KR return man of the last 3 years, and yet some people want to replace him?? He was sixth in the league in KR average. Folks, he isn't going to average 30 yards per return every year....only TWO other people have done that in the past 22 years!!

Remember that miraculous year in 2004 when he had such a breakout? He had the same KR average as this year! So he scored a few TDs then instead of being dragged down at the 10. If our incompetent offense was worth a sh-- this year early on, then those would have been six-point returns all the same. Dude consistently gave our offense a 1st and 10 between the 40 yard lines. What exactly are you looking for??

It's so rare that any team can say that they have the best player in the league at what they do. We arguably have that in Terrence McGee. Don't fix something that in no way shape or form needs fixing for the sake of making Roscoe Parrish a "better value."

Crikey.

The main reason why I'm saying Roscoe should replace him is because he's needed more as a starter, but his play this past year was lacking. I don't know if concentrating more on CB would help him improve, but I doubt it would hurt. But if they move him to nickel DB, which is ideally where he SHOULD be playing, then I'd have no problem keeping him at KR.

I understand the value argument, but I am continually baffled by the sentiment that we should remove from play one of the best football players at his position. We are lucky enough to have playing for us maybe the best KR return man of the last 3 years, and yet some people want to replace him?? He was sixth in the league in KR average. Folks, he isn't going to average 30 yards per return every year....only TWO other people have done that in the past 22 years!!

Remember that miraculous year in 2004 when he had such a breakout? He had the same KR average as this year! So he scored a few TDs then instead of being dragged down at the 10. If our incompetent offense was worth a sh-- this year early on, then those would have been six-point returns all the same. Dude consistently gave our offense a 1st and 10 between the 40 yard lines. What exactly are you looking for??

It's so rare that any team can say that they have the best player in the league at what they do. We arguably have that in Terrence McGee. Don't fix something that in no way shape or form needs fixing for the sake of making Roscoe Parrish a "better value."

Crikey.

whoa bart!! no need for the British worries :wallbash:

I think that McGee has done an excellent job at KR, my concern is that if he is to be the #1 CB which seems a likely possibility this coming season I would hate to lose him to injury returning kicks.

Parrish shows remarkable ability at PR and when he did return some kicks 2 seasons ago he averaged 30 plus yards (this was for 1 game of course).

I say give him a shot, not to insult McGee or any McGee supporters but more out of preservation to McGee who I think will step up his play at CB this year out of necessity and to try and better his 06 play (which was quite abysmal at times)

I am continually baffled by the sentiment that we should remove from play one of the best football players at his position.

When you throw in to the mix that Parrish is far too small to return kicks, it's hard to imagine the team even dabbling in a mistake like this. Instead, replacing Price with a real #2, or perhaps adding a traditional #1 with Evans moving to the #2 WR would give Roscoe plenty of opportunies to show off his speed on Sundays. Wouldn't do anything positive to Josh Reed's career unless our TE depth chart stays as thin as it has been for too long.

I think that McGee has done an excellent job at KR, my concern is that if he is to be the #1 CB which seems a likely possibility this coming season I would hate to lose him to injury returning kicks.

Parrish shows remarkable ability at PR and when he did return some kicks 2 seasons ago he averaged 30 plus yards (this was for 1 game of course).

I say give him a shot, not to insult McGee or any McGee supporters but more out of preservation to McGee who I think will step up his play at CB this year out of necessity and to try and better his 06 play (which was quite abysmal at times)

Fair enough...I guess I've just never been a big believer in the "he might get hurt on special teams argument." Yeah, it's a risk, but in my opinion it's so neglible in comparison to what he brings to the table that it's not worth worrying about. He hasn't gotten seriously hurt yet returning kicks for 3+ years (knocking on wood right now) and it's not like an ACL is torn every week in the NFL by a KR. In fact, who was the last player to suffer a major injury returning a kick? I'm not being a dck, I honestly don't know...

I don't think he should be the #1 CB, but obviously this could be the case going into the season. But regardless, he is too valuable to remove, IMO. Deion Sanders was the last great CB to play in this league and he was still returning punts when he was 37. I'm sure the numerous teams he returned TDs for never doubted their decision to risk injury to the best player at his position by letting him field punts.

I'd be open to throwing Roscoe back there with McGee to give a double threat, but I'd never take Terrence out of the mix.

Dick Jauron has almost certainly forgotten more than a neophyte fan such as myself knows about the Cover 2, but my sense of McGees non-productive play at early points in the season which led to his benching were not based on him being beaten by the WR physically (or even mentally head up) but actually on him failing to see how badly our rookie safeties were playing and not being with it enough to try to stick with a WR who actually is no longer his prime responsibility in the Cover 2 as his assignment was designed to be press coverage into the mid zone and then turn him over to the safety who had the deep coverage.

I think what McGee failed to do which led to Fewell/Jauron benching him to refocus his thinking was not see that Whitner/Simpson were failing as many rookies do, to accomplish their jobs and that McGee as a vet should have seen this and left the short zone open for exploitation while he went deep with the WR because the rookie safety blew the deep coverage.

My sense is that this message was received by McGee as these problems did not occur again after his mid-season benching. However, it interests me that some folks seem to judge errors as primarily a fault on McGee's part when actually I think McGee's error was that he did not react well to a complete screw up the rookie safety.

The bottomline is for this issue though is that actually I do not think that it is going be an essential move to make to reduce McGee's duties to see him/us improve in coverage as I think that McGee has demonstrated he got the message that he needs to be a vet in his CB play and also I suspect that Whitner/Simpson will not only not make rookie mistakes in the future but as they become vets they will be able to pick up for McGee (and possibly NC) in future play.

It seemed to me that McGee was as good as ever, but the new wedge (including Pennington and Ellison) was missing a real smasher. The new guys were no replacement for having Peters or Fletcher blocking for McGee. If someone could consistently blow open a hole, I have no doubt Terrene would dart through.... As it was he did quite well with what he had.

I still think having McGee back there is our best best.....the guy is dangerous. I kinda like when the other team has to kickoff, cause you cant tell me your not on your feet waiting for McGee to take one to the house! If Buffalo wants to get creative, why dont they just put both McGee & Parrish back there?

It would force them to kick the ball to one or the other.....but bad thing is if they kick it to McGee, Parrish would be forced to block and im not sure how that would work out with the little man.....I guess they can always fake reverses and things like that!

Id like to see Jim Leonard get a shot at returning kicks, something tells me he would be good at it........

I still think having McGee back there is our best best.....the guy is dangerous. I kinda like when the other team has to kickoff, cause you cant tell me your not on your feet waiting for McGee to take one to the house! If Buffalo wants to get creative, why dont they just put both McGee & Parrish back there?

It would force them to kick the ball to one or the other.....but bad thing is if they kick it to McGee, Parrish would be forced to block and im not sure how that would work out with the little man.....I guess they can always fake reverses and things like that!

Id like to see Jim Leonard get a shot at returning kicks, something tells me he would be good at it........

2 things, I like the double threat idea and I really like your avatar. Ron and Fez time is my favorite time of day :wacko:

Roscoe has done a decent job in spot receiving situations for the Bills IMO.

His salary would be well earned though if he were also returning kicks.

But wait didnt Andre Davis return kicks when Mcgee was hurt this year....?

Roscoe wasnt even our number 2 KICK RETURNER last year, theres a big difference between punt return and kick return, kick return requires more vision then punt retrun which relies heavily on making someone miss...

Roscoe is a great punt returner but he's not a kick returner IMO

It seemed to me that McGee was as good as ever, but the new wedge (including Pennington and Ellison) was missing a real smasher. The new guys were no replacement for having Peters or Fletcher blocking for McGee. If someone could consistently blow open a hole, I have no doubt Terrene would dart through.... As it was he did quite well with what he had.

Excellent point Matt. I don't know why Fletcher didn't want to be part of the STs anymore but his absence was felt big time. Shelton took his place and he looked lost sometimes. I can't remember who replaced him when he was injuried but it was not that great either.

Peters was missed too, but it's understandable why they didn't want to play him in STs. He was a monster. I had a couple of laughs last year when he was throwing people around in kickoff returns.