Can modern democracy work?

Wow, that's quit a question! I guess my answer would involve the circumstances the democracy was to survive in. If say, tomorrow, there is a major energy crisis that lasts for years or requires major changes in the way we live very quickly, that could cause major problems and threaten democratic government. Masses of formerly middle class people unemployed, losing their homes and with nothing to do would be an unhealthy situation. So would several major terrorist attacks. I could easily see a fascist movement develop in this country with a combination of economic uncertanty and terrorist attacks.

I don't know what you mean about protecting the gene pool, but fiscal responsibility is a big issue. The baby boomers are retiring and we are already running deficits, wasting money in Iraq and cutting taxes. I read the other day we spend something like $55 billion a year on nursing homes already. Think what that number will be in 10 or 15 years! That could be trouble with that, SS, other medicare and evertything else. That's going to be a mess.

Surviving is one thing, working is another. So yes, modern democracy will probably survive unless threatened by some major crisis like the ones you described. But will it produce useful results, along whichever of the dimensions I mentioned that you think are important? Can modern democracies be expected to produce fiscally responsible results, or do a good job at resisting social parasites?

As for protecting the gene pool, some people may feel it's unimportant, or that it's not the government's responsibility. If, however, you see a strong gene pool as a critical puzzle piece in building a strong nation, do you think a democracy is likely to do a good job of protecting it?

Modern Democracy doesnt work, and for 2 very big reasons.

1. modern democracy gives every retard a voice. case in point: when that happens, you end up with the top 5 threads on PPP all being started by either holcombs arm or molson golden. if modern democracy did work, then these 2 would be wouldnt be allowed to freely spew their idocy.

Interesting. I'm being called an idiot by someone who doesn't use capitalization, doesn't use apostrophes, and can't even spell "idiocy." :bag:

Interesting. I'm being called an idiot by someone who doesn't use capitalization, doesn't use apostrophes, and can't even spell "idiocy." :bag:

my spelling regressed towards the mean, according to your dumbass logic

my spelling regressed towards the mean, according to your dumbass logic

You still don't understand the articles about regression toward the mean to which I linked, do you? :devil: You're still intent on ridiculing a concept described by Stanford, the University of Chicago, Duke, Berkeley, the University of Washington, the EPA, Tufts, and even Ohio State. Yet you insist on looking down on other people's intelligence. :unsure: