Playstation3, Nintendo Wii, XBox360

stevestojan

Obviously, I've done alot of research already, CNET, googled reviews, etc...

But as I will be dropping some major scratch on this purchase, was wondering who has hands on experience with each system...

Currently, I do not own an HDTV, so the fact that the PS3 has a BluRay player is nice, but not a HUGE influence. I will hopefully upgrading to an HDTV soon as well :blink:

The main reason for me getting either system will be to play Madden 07 and NHL 07 and the next few years releases of each. I only play sports games.

I really feel like its down to the PS3 and the Wii for me as I simply haven't heard as much about the 360 and more importantly its a Microsoft product and you have to purchase multiple add-ons or upgrades to get the full experience.

Any input would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Easily the 360. What do you mean you need to purchase multiple addons? You don't need to purchase any addons if you buy the Premium package.

The 360 has the best online play bar none, and I am extremely happy with my purchase.

Thanks... so the "premium package" has all I will need as far as HardDrive, etc?

Obviously, I've done alot of research already, CNET, googled reviews, etc...

But as I will be dropping some major scratch on this purchase, was wondering who has hands on experience with each system...

Currently, I do not own an HDTV, so the fact that the PS3 has a BluRay player is nice, but not a HUGE influence. I will hopefully upgrading to an HDTV soon as well :blink:

The main reason for me getting either system will be to play Madden 07 and NHL 07 and the next few years releases of each. I only play sports games.

I really feel like its down to the PS3 and the Wii for me as I simply haven't heard as much about the 360 and more importantly its a Microsoft product and you have to purchase multiple add-ons or upgrades to get the full experience.

Any input would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Get the PS3, having the blueray built in is fuggin sweet! I have a 360 and mine broke after about a month and had to be sent in. After that though I've had no problems and its a pretty good system as well. You have to get the HD though, I just bought a 61" Samsung DLP on Friday and playing games in 1080i is pretty badass.

Yep, its got everything you need to play games.

Yup. The only "add-on" you might be referring to is the HD-DVD drive. If you want to watch HD movies, that's an extra $200 (or less, if you find it on sale). However, as you noted, you don't have an HDTV, so why waste the money on a Blu-Ray player? You can spend the money on one later if you need it.

There's a bunch of people here that have the 360 as well, so you can easily play with fellow TSW members (or you can ignore them so you don't accidentally play with TSW members :blink: ).

You do need to spend $50 (or less) for a year of Xbox Live to play online, but the online play is far superior to the PS3. We could go into specific examples if you want.

In addition, the PS3 has almost no exclusive games for it. Most of the games that were PS-only have now decided to release for the 360 as well (they need to make money).

The Wii looks cool, but they're impossible to find right now. I'll be buying one as soon as I can find one in stock though.

You know me, I'm as big an anti-MS person as you'll find, but with the 360, they did a good job.

CW

I can only speak for the 360 as that’s the only one I own.

Good

The premium system is pretty amazing for all it can do. I can stream music from my computer while playing other games, upload pictures, movies, download game demos or movie trailers. For these reasons hooking it up online is a must. The controllers are also very comfortable which was important for me coming from Sony land. Everything else I'm sure you've read about. Graphics are right on par with PS3, good selection of games, and some very addicting first person shooters.

Bad

I bought my premium system in late November. Two weeks after buying it the system took a crap. I received the three red lights of death error as it's known by many in the 360 community. I didn't even know the systems had any issues when I bought it otherwise I would have bought the warranty from the store. To make a long story short these babies get REAL hot and some systems overheat. Obviously Microsoft hasn't pulled everyone of these systems otherwise I wouldn’t have got one in November. Microsoft did send me a new console which seems to run much cooler then the other one, and I'm yet to have a problem. You can get the error lights for a whole host of other reasons, so they don't necessarily mean your systems done, just sometimes. I would purchase the in store warranty that way you don't have to wait a couple weeks to get your new console from Microsoft if your 360 craps out. It probably won't happen, but I really regret not doing that. The last gripe I have is the lack of good sports games. I think we can blame EA's exclusive rights BS partially for this, but in general the first person shooters and other games blow away the sports games right now.

I've got Madden for the Wii. I posted a few bits about it in the consumer forum.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?s=&am...st&p=885441

I also have Rayman and the Raving Rabids, Trauma Center: Second Opinion, and Legend of Zelda.

I mostly play Madden. My wife plays the others, but I've played a little of Zelda. I'd be happy to try to answer any questions.

You have to get the HD though, I just bought a 61" Samsung DLP on Friday and playing games in 1080i is pretty badass.

360 only does 1080i?

unless they crack the 360 and come out with an xbox media center 360 (like xbmc for the original xbox), I'll wait for the PS3

and by wait, i mean wait until that ridiculous price tag drops to roughly 300 (which is still an exorbinant amount for a gaming system)

360 only does 1080i?

unless they crack the 360 and come out with an xbox media center 360 (like xbmc for the original xbox), I'll wait for the PS3

and by wait, i mean wait until that ridiculous price tag drops to roughly 300 (which is still an exorbinant amount for a gaming system)

No, the 360 does 1080p. And why would you want an Xbox Media Center 360? You can stream video/audio from any XP computer using the latest Windows Media Player.

No, the 360 does 1080p. And why would you want an Xbox Media Center 360? You can stream video/audio from any XP computer using the latest Windows Media Player.

why stream and tie up bandwidth when there's already a huge hard drive on the xbox?

internal FTP transfers which occur all the time because I don't have USB ports in all of my home computers (I have quite a few actually to make FTP worthwhile)

You're trying to tell me that you're saturating a 100Mbps connection (or even a 54Mbps connectioN) with FTP within your home? Doubtful...

I plugged my XBOX 360 to my big screen. The 51 inch screen only does 480p. I can't afford to buy a new TV unless I decide to move out so I guess i'll stay stuck with the old generation TV's.

I'll live.

On another note, I've played a few of the action games on 360 and TBH, I really don't like them. I bought Fight Night 3 and Fifa 2007 and have spent most of my xbox time playing those online.

You're trying to tell me that you're saturating a 100Mbps connection (or even a 54Mbps connectioN) with FTP within your home? Doubtful...

not all the time...but occasionally...what is all that hard drive space on the 360 for anyway?