Why not Spikes at MLB?

Mr. T

I honestly wonder if Spikes moving to MLB is a possiblity. If he regains his speed he will most certainly be faster than what Fletch would have provided. TKO is also a monster on run support.

This all assumes a full recovery, if he doesn't hit full recovery he stays below average which gives him 1 more year in B-flo.

Who is talking video games smart guy? If there is any position on a football team where a switch can be made without too much difficulty it's from the OLB to the MLB. These kinds of changes happen. It's not like moving a safety to CB. It's more like moving a CB who has lost a step to safety.

One moves a CB who has lost a step to safety as he know longer has the speed to cover speedy WRs and as a safety he plays more deep zone or TEs one on one.

However, the move from an OLB slot where a LB has responsibility for 1 side of the field to MLB where the expectation is he will cover sideline to sideline can easily be a move which requires additional speed depending upon how one implements your D.

In particular since the D the Bills run is not only the Cover 2 but the version known as the Tampa 2 which requires the MLB to split the field in 3 with the two safeties and actually play zone deep pass coverage, the Tampa 2 MLB seems to require far more speed than the OLB slot manned by TKO.

You offer up an analogy of the move your propose as being similar to one given to a CB who has lost a step, but actually what you propose seems to demand that TKO gain a step in speed.

I think that's a better comparison for TKO (rather than Cowart).

TKO's work ethic is unparalleled. So is his intensity. Cowart couldn't come close to matching that... Peterson is very similar in that regard. Hopefully that comparison will prove valid.

good point. an even bigger reason though is that Cowart's injury was 7 years ago. Medical advancement have been made in Achilles surgery for sports injuries in that time. Cowart also had a major knee injury on that leg in college.

Interesting idea. I think TKO will be far more effective at the beginning of next season. I suspect he is beginning the downside of his career, but considering how good he has been his downside is probably better than most other LB's upside. It would be an interesting experiment, but I'm still thinking we'll sign LF, draft or free agent a MLB.

However, the move from an OLB slot where a LB has responsibility for 1 side of the field to MLB where the expectation is he will cover sideline to sideline can easily be a move which requires additional speed depending upon how one implements your D.

Yep.

Spikes is not a MLB. Were I to change his role, I'd think about a situational blitzer. Something the Bills don't have.