I think I have found a 2008 Presidential Candidate

Ron Paul

Ron Paul, the iconoclastic nine-term congressman from Southeast Texas, took the first step Thursday toward launching a second presidential bid in 2008, this time as a Republican.

Paul filed incorporation papers on Thursday to create a presidential exploratory committee that allows him and his supporters to collect money on behalf of his bid. This would be Paul's second try for the White House; he was the Libertarian nominee for president in 1988.

Kent Snyder, the chairman of Paul's exploratory committee and a former staffer on Paul's Libertarian campaign, said Paul knows he's a long shot.

"There's no question that it's an uphill battle, and that Dr. Paul is an underdog," Snyder said. "But we think it's well worth doing and we'll let the voters decide."

Paul, of Lake Jackson, acknowledges that the national GOP has never fully embraced him despite his nine terms in office under its banner. He gets little money from the GOP's large traditional donors, but benefits from individual conservative and Libertarian donors outside Texas.

He bills himself as "The Taxpayers' Best Friend," and is routinely ranked either first or second in the House of Representatives by the National Taxpayers Union, a national group advocating low taxes and limited government.

He describes himself as a lifelong Libertarian running as a Republican. Paul was not available for comment Thursday, Snyder said.

But he said the campaign will test its ability to attract financial and political support before deciding whether to launch a full-fledged campaign.

Snyder said Paul is not running just to make a point or to try to ensure that his issues are addressed, but to win.

Paul is expected to formally announce his bid in the next week or two, Snyder said.

He's anti-war, that would never sit well at all with the warmongers in the GOP.

http://www.antiwar.com/paul/?articleid=6330

Despite being quite left-leaning and agreeing with you most of the time, i can't back you up on that one. Republican party membership has plenty of anti-war members of various persuasions. I think you meant to say the current republican LEADERSHIP and administration members would be non-supportive of Paul. But hey, plenty of dems, including our own junior senator from NY, could be considered war-mongers as well --> they haven't exactly been outspoken against the war in iraq.

Despite being quite left-leaning and agreeing with you most of the time, i can't back you up on that one. Republican party membership has plenty of anti-war members of various persuasions. I think you meant to say the current republican LEADERSHIP and administration members would be non-supportive of Paul. But hey, plenty of dems, including our own junior senator from NY, could be considered war-mongers as well --> they haven't exactly been outspoken against the war in iraq.

You are right, there are many Republicans who didn't want this. But, it isn't just the leadership. I think the leadership is really a reflection of their base which is mostly the South. And sure, the Dems are guilty, too, not just of some warmongering but of being cowards in the face of this.

One guy who is a pretty impressive candidate is Bill Richardson. Great experience, probably better than anyone's in the entire race overall. Liked and respected by both sides of the aisle. Been in White Houses before as cabinet member. Negotiated with the bad guys and the good guys at the highest levels. Is a Governor, so he had to be its leader (as opposed to the experience Senators and Congressmen have). An expert on energy. Is not hideous looking. Is a minority (which may of course work against him). And is extremely well spoken and a genuinely engaging, nice guy. He may not have the money or the name recognition to win but he is a very good candidate, the best the Dems have offered up in decades.