3 Scenarios

Astrobot

I'll start the ball rolling here in the Mock Draft forum for 2007.

Here are 3 scenarios pulled from perceived needs and likely picks in that round from CDS Mock Draft website.

Which do you like?

SCENARIO A:

1. WR Dwayne Jarrett------------Arguably the best WR opposite Evans would keep Defenses wide, make room for Willis

2. MLB Ryan Harris (Notre Dame)----Fletcher-Baker stays to train his successor. Great Tampa 2 guy.

3. DT Jay Alford (Penn State)

SCENARIO B:

1. DT Amobi Okoye (Louisville)--------A Run stopping DT. You may argue that we drafted him last year.

2. WR Robert Meachem (Tennessee)--Nice WR to pick up at pick #44.

3. DE Tim Crowder (Texas)

SCENARIO C:

1. MLB Trade down a bit and get Ole Miss' Patrick Willis. Instincts, quickness, power and toughness. Perfect Tampa 2 MLB.

2. OT Justin Blalock (Texas) – We won’t be getting a MikeWilliams again.

3. Trade Down, take:

4. OG Ben Grubbs (Auburn) and ST C.J. Gaddis (Clemson)- Versatile player who came to Clemson as a quarterback, then moved to defense, where he served as a starting safety in five games last year; now starting cornerback...considered by many to be the top all-around athlete on the team, just needs experience to become a top-echelon player on defense...has seen time as a kick returner in his career; he had two kickoff returns for 27 yards in 2005, both against Maryland...had a blocked punt in each of the last two years, including one against Florida State in 2004 and one against Temple in 2005...has played in 23 games over the last two years, including five as a starter...has not missed a game in his first two years..

Here are 3 scenarios pulled from perceived needs and likely picks in that round from CDS Mock Draft website.

Which do you like?

SCENARIO A:

1. WR Dwayne Jarrett------------Arguably the best WR opposite Evans would keep Defenses wide, make room for Willis

2. MLB Ryan Harris (Notre Dame)----Fletcher-Baker stays to train his successor. Great Tampa 2 guy.

SCENARIO B:

1. DT Amobi Okoye (Louisville)--------A Run stopping DT. You may argue that we drafted him last year.

SCENARIO C:

1. MLB Trade down a bit and get Ole Miss' Patrick Willis. Instincts, quickness, power and toughness. Perfect Tampa 2 MLB.

3. Trade Down, take:

4. OG Ben Grubbs (Auburn) and ST C.J. Gaddis (Clemson)- Versatile player who came to Clemson as a quarterback, then moved to defense, where he served as a starting safety in five games last year; now starting cornerback...considered by many to be the top all-around athlete on the team, just needs experience to become a top-echelon player on defense...has seen time as a kick returner in his career; he had two kickoff returns for 27 yards in 2005, both against Maryland...had a blocked punt in each of the last two years, including one against Florida State in 2004 and one against Temple in 2005...has played in 23 games over the last two years, including five as a starter...has not missed a game in his first two years..

I like the third scenario the best only because it will solidify the defense in the middle if we get some talent on the d-line in free agency.

It also provides a legitimate chance for Willis to prove that he can't just procreate since we would be getting offensive line help. To tell you the truth, Steinbach is merely a wet dream that will never happen, so more than likely we will be pursuing a guard in the draft, the only difference is that i am going to switch your choice to Josh Beekman from Boston College (If he falls that far).

Which do you like?

SCENARIO A:

SCENARIO B:

SCENARIO C:

3. Trade Down, take:

Well, first off in Scenario A, Ryan Harris is an OT not a MLB and therefore not a "great Tampa 2 guy". Speaking of that, what is a "great Tampa 2 guy", I am curious to know your thoughts on that. Anyways, knowing Levy's history in drafting defense early, unless somebody like Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas falls to us, I think we're going defense first. Our biggest need is actually MLB, not DT like many people think. Fletcher was undersized for the scheme, but is a very good athlete and was still able to rack up good stats. He is likely gone this off-season, I don't think signing a 32yr old player who doesn't really fit in the scheme helps this defense get any younger or play any smarter. Fletcher is a great leader on and off the field and the guy can just flat out play but his age is the real concern here.

My first round pick would have to be Patrick Willis or Paul Poz of Penn State. We might move Crowell to MLB and draft Poz or keep Crowell outside and draft Willis. I think Buffalo doesn't take a DT with their first pick simply because they still need to see what McCargo has to offer and they might sign a DT in the offseason.

The second round pick could be CB or OL depending on whether or not we retain Clements. If the coaching staff has confidence in Youboty taking over for Clements, then we might go with a OL. But I think they draft a corner here if Clements is gone.

The third round pick might be a WR but its likely another OL. I think we draft a WR and a RB on day 2 along with another LB.

Well, first off in Scenario A, Ryan Harris is an OT not a MLB and therefore not a "great Tampa 2 guy". Speaking of that, what is a "great Tampa 2 guy", I am curious to know your thoughts on that. Anyways, knowing Levy's history in drafting defense early, unless somebody like Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas falls to us, I think we're going defense first. Our biggest need is actually MLB, not DT like many people think. Fletcher was undersized for the scheme, but is a very good athlete and was still able to rack up good stats. He is likely gone this off-season, I don't think signing a 32yr old player who doesn't really fit in the scheme helps this defense get any younger or play any smarter. Fletcher is a great leader on and off the field and the guy can just flat out play but his age is the real concern here.

My first round pick would have to be Patrick Willis or Paul Poz of Penn State. We might move Crowell to MLB and draft Poz or keep Crowell outside and draft Willis. I think Buffalo doesn't take a DT with their first pick simply because they still need to see what McCargo has to offer and they might sign a DT in the offseason.

The second round pick could be CB or OL depending on whether or not we retain Clements. If the coaching staff has confidence in Youboty taking over for Clements, then we might go with a OL. But I think they draft a corner here if Clements is gone.

The third round pick might be a WR but its likely another OL. I think we draft a WR and a RB on day 2 along with another LB.

Yes, his vast history in drafting defense early.

Yes, his vast history in drafting defense early.

Are you trying to be sarcastic cuz I can't really tell. Do you know anything about Marv? From 1986-1994(the last year the Bills went to the Superbowl), we had 7 First round draft picks and 5 of them were defense. So, yes Marv liked to build his superbowl teams through defense and frankly its a very good strategy. Keeping a young and good defense will always keep a team in almost any game. I mean, look at the Bears. Great Defense can make up for a lot of the bad QB mistakes, turnovers on offense etc. So, yes "his vast history of drafting defense early" helps me in making an educated guess that in this april's draft Marv will go defense again.

Are you trying to be sarcastic cuz I can't really tell. Do you know anything about Marv? From 1986-1994(the last year the Bills went to the Superbowl), we had 7 First round draft picks and 5 of them were defense. So, yes Marv liked to build his superbowl teams through defense and frankly its a very good strategy. Keeping a young and good defense will always keep a team in almost any game. I mean, look at the Bears. Great Defense can make up for a lot of the bad QB mistakes, turnovers on offense etc. So, yes "his vast history of drafting defense early" helps me in making an educated guess that in this april's draft Marv will go defense again.

Sure, but at some point, teams have to move the football as well. The Bills have already lost with great defenses that were chock full of stars, such as Speilmann, Paup, Cowart, Big Ted, Pat Williams, and Bruce Smith. The problem was that their offense was very weak. Balance is needed.

Which do you like?

SCENARIO A:

SCENARIO B:

SCENARIO C:

3. Trade Down, take:

I like Scenario C the best, but where is the extra 2nd for trading down? Draft picks should go up in value this season due to a weak free agent crop. I wouldn't trade down for a mere 4th. We got a 2nd in 01 for trading down from 14th to 21st. We should do even better in 07 should they go that route.

Jmo.

I have to go w/ the crowd and say the third scenario is the best option. I think I mentioned Grubbs to you before, William, so you know I think he's a good candidate to upgrade the interior line. Blalock is also a good pick, though I wonder if he'll be available @ that point. Willis? Hey, the guy's a great athlete and I wouldn't be upset if he were the pick there, but I do like Brandon Siler about as much and I like Buster Davis even more (his performance in last year's Fiesta Bowl was incredible, even better than 2 time Butkus winner Posluszny).

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.