Where oh where has the blitz gone?

Heathcliff

Long time lurker, first time posting. I have not seen a post discussing this topic.

The one thing that really sticks out from the past several weeks is we have consistently rushed our 4 defensive lineman regardless of the situation. There have been no corner blitzes, nearly no safety, linebacker, or zone blitzes, no run blitzes. Nada. In the Tennessee game we were playing against a rookie quarterback and never once made him think quickly. I just don't understand with the great secondary we have why we chose to let VY sit back and survey the field. :doh:

It makes me crazy. :P

I know you live and die by the blitz, but just once in a while use it to try to create confusion and a possible turnover.

Lurker mode back on..... :P

He hasn't left. He currently wears #94 for us. Lines up @ RDE a lot.

And how many sacks do you think he might have if on an obvious passing situation we blitzed leaving #94 single teamed instead of getting help from the RB consistently?

Watching the Dallas - Philly game the other night, when Philly got up by a couple of scores they put constant pressure on the Dallas Wonderboy, pro-bowl bound Romo and all of a sudden he looked like every other young quarterback in the league running for his life. I really believe we should consider more pressure on critical 3rd down situations.

And how many sacks do you think he might have if on an obvious passing situation we blitzed leaving #94 single teamed instead of getting help from the RB consistently?

Watching the Dallas - Philly game the other night, when Philly got up by a couple of scores they put constant pressure on the Dallas Wonderboy, pro-bowl bound Romo and all of a sudden he looked like every other young quarterback in the league running for his life. I really believe we should consider more pressure on critical 3rd down situations.

I will say it seems that our defense is the complete opposite it was the last couple years. Under Jerry Gray we seemed to blitz ALL the time. Sometimes it worked wonders (couple years we had some of the best defenses), other times we got burned big. It definitely seems like we never blitz anymore. Or very rarely. Maybe the coaching staff was worried if we took more guys to put pressure on young he could elude them and pick up big yards? It did seem like Young had a lot of time in the pocket throughout the game. And in many situations, third down especially, he made us pay with all that time hitting a couple no name wide receivers for big yardage.

You missed the point, so I'll simplify a bit.

Schobel is the most consistent pass rusher the Bills have. They get little to no push from the interior DL on passing downs (smaller, quicker DL not providing a consistent rush???), and the left side is just as shaky on third downs. Linebackers? They are on the field on third downs, right? Anyone?

So, to sum it up, the Buffalo Bills' pass rush = Aaron Schobel. Unfortunately.

I think our defense is still to vulnerable to blitz. You've gotta make tackles if you can start gambling, and we showed that we don't do it. Even without blitzing, we get gashed on scrambles, draws, counters, and screens - imagine if there were even fewer guys in the middle of the field.

I do recall seeing one blitz against Tennessee...K. Thomas came in on a blitz and never got anywhere near Young. Nice completion on the play.

When your front four get decent pressure, you're much better off not blitzing. When they don't, sometimes you have to try. They had gotten good pressure the previous couple of weeks with the front four, but nothing against Tennessee. I was a little surprised they didn't blitz more, especially against a rookie QB. Then again, I haven't watched film of the Titans, and it could be that Young does a lot of damage against blitzing teams by using his legs.

I think our defense is still to vulnerable to blitz. You've gotta make tackles if you can start gambling, and we showed that we don't do it. Even without blitzing, we get gashed on scrambles, draws, counters, and screens - imagine if there were even fewer guys in the middle of the field.

No blitz? The defensive ends blitz on every running play.

:doh: