The "re-tooled" offensive line

cmdevisser

Much has been made of the reworked offensive line and the effect it has had on Losman and the offense, but I don't think people realize exactly how much of an effect the new line has really had.

In the 7 games before the bye week the Bills gave up 21 sacks.

Willis McGahee ran 150 times for 564 yards and 3.76 YPC.

In the 7 games since the bye week the Bills have given up 20 sacks.

Willis McGahee has run 76 times for 308 yards and 4.0 YPC.

I have to say...Im not impressed, and despite the general opinion that this line has been playing much better than any line the Bills have had in years (it doesnt take much does it?) Jason Peters will be the anchor of this line for many years to come, and by all accounts Pennington has looked very good at RT, but the offensive line must be a priority this offseason for Marv and co, and that means not waiting until the second day to select offensive linemen.

While it's hard to argue with those numbers, you also have to consider a few things:

- the new group was thrown into the fire; they didn't have the luxury of being together for training camp and preseason games before the season started

- hurries and pressures; my sense is that these are down considerably

- number (and frequency) of guys needed to stay in and help block (max protection); my sense is that this is also significantly reduced since the switch

Numbers can tell you something you might have missed, but you also can't argue with the fact that, overall, they are playing better and allowing JP to play better. The coaches aren't blowing smoke when they voice their opinion that they believe they are playing better -- and I doubt those numbers would really change their minds.

Couldn't agree more.  We have two of the guys we need for sure at the tackle position but should upgrade the other three.  I see us drafting guard and center and it will be a much improved line next year.  Kudos for the line these last few games, though.  Fine performances overall.

871078[/snapback]

the guard spots could use an upgrade, but i dont see us spending a higher pick on a C. From all reports, Fowler has been doing quite a good job, and is a "leader" of the offensive line. I dont see him being replaced.

A new center is gold in the eyes of TBDers, but fool's godl in the eyes of OBD.