December 7, 1941

The Senator

Mitsubishi, the company that brought you WW2

If you watch Tora Tora Tora, my father in law was a marine stationed in Hawaii when they made the movie. He's flying one of the Japanese torpedoe planes.

Standing over the Arizona is one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced. Those who can ever make the trip, should.

859421[/snapback]

I agree....amazingly surreal. You can see the ghostly outline of the ship beneath the water. When they said that all those who were sleeping when the attack started were left to remain "buried" with the ship, it really put things into perspective for me.

I reenlisted there in 1995. Then I reenlisted in the office that the Pearl Harbor bombing was planned out in Iwakuni Japan in 1998.  :w00t:

859429[/snapback]

whoa...

Standing over the Arizona is one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced. Those who can ever make the trip, should.

859421[/snapback]

Survivors of the Arizona, upon their passing, can have their ashes interred in the hull of the Arizona, to rest with their shipmates.

I agree....amazingly surreal. You can see the ghostly outline of the ship beneath the water. When they said that all those who were sleeping when the attack started were left to remain "buried" with the ship, it really put things into perspective for me.

859425[/snapback]

The thing that got me was the oil. I had always heard you could still see some on the surface, but I was amazed at how much there was. Kind of gave me the feeling that the Arizona was still "living" and the oil felt like blood.

Then being able to stand on the spot where the Japanese signed the surrender on the Missouri and see the Arizona from that spot. Gives you a sense of history that can't be found many other places.

859421[/snapback]

Yeah, I was there in May and it was amazing. Very somber experience.

Of course there were some jerks who were posing for pictures and smiling like it was freak'n Disney World. I SOOO wanted to throw them overboard. Made me sick. :w00t:

CW

Yeah, I was there in May and it was amazing.  Very somber experience.

Of course there were some jerks who were posing for pictures and smiling like it was freak'n Disney World.  I SOOO wanted to throw them overboard.  Made me sick.  :w00t:

CW

859472[/snapback]

I saw a few of those. That sad part was it was the Americans. The Japanese were much more respectful.

I saw a few of those. That sad part was it was the Americans. The Japanese were much more respectful.

859481[/snapback]

Yeah, there were a lot of Japanese folks there when I went back in '87. It was sort of awkward sitting in the theater watching the documentary presentation with them, I have to admit. But I remember feeling better when we left the theater and headed out to the site, cause most of the ones I remember near me seemed very moved by the surroundings just like I was.

I was there for the 50th anniversary of the bombing. There was a huge ceremony going on and the Japanese were all over that place like stink on ****. Then I had changed duty stations and was in Iwakuni Japan for the 50th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima. Iwakuni is only 30 minutes away from Hiro. We were ordered by the Commanding Officer not to go anywhere near Hiro on that day. I just thought that was wrong. They should've stayed away from Pearl Harbor on the 50th as well. Just a respect thing.

Of course there were some jerks who were posing for pictures and smiling like it was freak'n Disney World.  I SOOO wanted to throw them overboard.  Made me sick.  :w00t:

CW

859472[/snapback]

That's what it's like at Ground Zero. People stand by the fence with pictures of the destruction with their arms around each other smiling and waving. WTF?!?! !@#$ing idiots.

I was there for the 50th anniversary of the bombing. There was a huge ceremony going on and the Japanese were all over that place like stink on ****. Then I had changed duty stations and was in Iwakuni Japan for the 50th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima. Iwakuni is only 30 minutes away from Hiro. We were ordered by the Commanding Officer not to go anywhere near Hiro on that day. I just thought that was wrong. They should've stayed away from Pearl Harbor on the 50th as well. Just a respect thing.

859503[/snapback]

I think it was more of a "they didnt want you to get the sh*t beat out of you " thing.

859481[/snapback]

In our case, it was mostly the Japanese posing and smiling on the Arizona. :w00t: My wife and I made the same comment as others have -- We wouldn't go to Hiroshima and have our picture taken smiling by some radiation sign or something. :doh::oops:

I'm still pissed about it. Oh well, move on, right?

Cw

In our case, it was mostly the Japanese posing and smiling on the Arizona.  :w00t:  My wife and I made the same comment as others have -- We wouldn't go to Hiroshima and have our picture taken smiling by some radiation sign or something.  :doh:  :oops:

I'm still pissed about it.  Oh well, move on, right?

Cw

859521[/snapback]

If I went there today and saw that, I'd probably make a scene.

In our case, it was mostly the Japanese posing and smiling on the Arizona.  :doh:  My wife and I made the same comment as others have -- We wouldn't go to Hiroshima and have our picture taken smiling by some radiation sign or something.  :oops:  :doh:

I'm still pissed about it.  Oh well, move on, right?

Cw

859521[/snapback]

I don't think I could be there and see that and not say something and get myself in trouble.

I do like your idea of going to Hiroshima though! :w00t:

If I went there today and saw that, I'd probably make a scene.

859529[/snapback]

Yeah, i can see you doing that. :w00t:

I went to see the Korean war memorial in WA DC about 6 yrs ago. That was so real looking it was creepy. Especially at night when they have the lights shining on the guys.

Yeah, i can see you doing that.  :w00t:

I went to see the Korean war memorial in WA DC about 6 yrs ago.  That was so real looking it was creepy.  Especially at night when they have the lights shining on the guys.

859633[/snapback]

I got some pictures of that somewhere, I just went and sit on the bench.....and I was like this looks so real...it was damp and cold