Bush Worst president ever?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most good WWII history books will tell you that Hitler offered Britain peace after France fell.

The ones written in German, perhaps. How magnaminous of him. And, after all, Hitler had such a sterling record of standing by previous agreements and treaties; how could anyone not believe such a trustworthy chap? (See: Munich.)

He wanted Germany to have the same relation to Europe that the U.S. had to North America. For this purpose, and for his lebensraum goal, the conquest of the Soviet Union would have been more than enough.

859623[/snapback]

Damn funny way of showing it, then. By the early twentieth century, the U.S. was allying itself with the governments of Canada and Mexico, not occupying their countries.

But then, what do I know? I only majored in history/pol.sci., after all.

The ones written in German, perhaps.

The New York Times called William Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich "One of the most important works of history of our time." Here's a quote:

That was May 20. For several weeks thereafter Hitler seems to have had no doubts that, with France knocked out, Britain would be anxious to make peace. His terms, from the German point of view, seemed most generous, considering the beating the British had taken in Norway and in France. He had expounded them to General von Rundstedt on May 24, expressing his admiration of the British Empire and stressing the "necessity" for its existence. All he wanted from London, he said, was a free hand on the Continent.

So certain was he that the British would agree to this that even after the fall of France he made no plan for continuing the war against Britain, and the vaunted General Staff, which supposedly planned with Prussian thoroughness for every contingency far in advance, did not bother to furnish him with any. Halder, the Chief of the General Staff, made no mention of the subject at this time in his voluminous diary entries. He was more disturbed about Russian threats in the Balkans and the Baltic than about the British.

Indeed, why should Great Britain fight on alone against helpless odds? Especially when it could get a peace that would leave it, unlike France, Poland, and all the other defeated lands, unscathed, free, and intact? This was a question asked everywhere except in Downing Street, where, as Churchill later revealed, it was never even discussed, because the answer was taken for granted. But the German dictator did not know this, and when Churchill began to state it publicly--that Britain was not quitting--Hitler apparently did not believe it.

Edit: when I wrote that Hitler wanted the same relationship to Europe as the U.S. had to North America, I meant that Hitler wanted Germany to be as powerful with respect to Europe as the U.S. was to North America. Hitler felt this extra power would ensure Germany never again had to endure a Versailles Treaty.

The New York Times called William Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich "One of the most important works of history of our time." Here's a quote:
That was May 20. For several weeks thereafter Hitler seems to have had no doubts that, with France knocked out, Britain would be anxious to make peace. His terms, from the German point of view, seemed most generous, considering the beating the British had taken in Norway and in France. He had expounded them to General von Rundstedt on May 24, expressing his admiration of the British Empire and stressing the "necessity" for its existence. All he wanted from London, he said, was a free hand on the Continent.

So certain was he that the British would agree to this that even after the fall of France he made no plan for continuing the war against Britain, and the vaunted General Staff, which supposedly planned with Prussian thoroughness for every contingency far in advance, did not bother to furnish him with any. Halder, the Chief of the General Staff, made no mention of the subject at this time in his voluminous diary entries. He was more disturbed about Russian threats in the Balkans and the Baltic than about the British.

Indeed, why should Great Britain fight on alone against helpless odds? Especially when it could get a peace that would leave it, unlike France, Poland, and all the other defeated lands, unscathed, free, and intact? This was a question asked everywhere except in Downing Street, where, as Churchill later revealed, it was never even discussed, because the answer was taken for granted. But the German dictator did not know this, and when Churchill began to state it publicly--that Britain was not quitting--Hitler apparently did not believe it.

859865[/snapback]

So where's the part where he offers peace to England, instead of just musing about it? :)

So where's the part where he offers peace to England, instead of just musing about it?  :)

Here's another quote:

Churchill himself, as he related later in his memoirs, was somewhat troubled by the peace feelers emanating through Sweden, the United States, and the Vatican and, convinced Hitler was trying to make the most of them, took stern measures to counter them. Informed that the German charge in Washington, Thomsen, had been attempting to talk with the British ambassador there, he cabled that "Lord Lothian should be told on no account to make any reply to the German Charge d'Affaires' message.

Here's another quote:
Churchill himself, as he related later in his memoirs, was somewhat troubled by the peace feelers emanating through Sweden, the United States, and the Vatican and, convinced Hitler was trying to make the most of them, took stern measures to counter them. Informed that the German charge in Washington, Thomsen, had been attempting to talk with the British ambassador there, he cabled that "Lord Lothian should be told on no account to make any reply to the German Charge d'Affaires' message.

859907[/snapback]

I'll look that up when I get home. Not that I don't trust you...but I don't, seeing as how you're quoting a book. :)