Need your thoughts

BuffaloBud

Your wife will be able to shop when you walk from Trump Tower to Rockefeller center.  You will walk right down 5th Ave, no better shopping in the world. 

857170[/snapback]

No better shopping in the word IF money is no object. If you actually work for a living the window shopping is great but all you can buy is the stuff from street vendors (scarves, hot dogs, etc.).

I'm partial, but I would take the train out of Manhattan to Brooklyn Heights and see the best skyline view of the city at the Promenade.  First couple stops on the 2-3 trains to Bklyn get you there and to some of the nicest architecture and prettiest neighborhoods in the city.  It's also not a far walk to the River Cafe or the cheaper, but also tasty Five Front.  River Cafe is one of the nicest restaurants with one of the best views in the city, right under the Brooklyn Bridge.

Just a suggestion to avoid the tourist traps and get a little more of "real" New York.  :D

Also, there are tons of free galleries in Chelsea (in the 20s, West Side) with some really interesting art / photography shows cycling through all the time.  Check the most recent issue of the New Yorker to get a feel for what's out there.  In general they will tell you what's going on currently.

Edit: Oh, and, for fun, cheapish touristy stuff, see the Macy's windows -- always pretty neat; and the skating at Bryant Park can be a lot of fun and is right in the heart of the city near the big main library building.  It's quite a nice NYC experience.

857208[/snapback]

The BK Heights Promenade is an awesome place to take pictures. I recommend taking a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, even if it is going to be freezing cold.

No better shopping in the word IF money is no object. If you actually work for a living the window shopping is great but all you can buy is the stuff from street vendors (scarves, hot dogs, etc.).

857864[/snapback]

Well at least there's something for everyone!! :D

Seriously, its a decent walk and really, if you're only in NYC one day and want to see all that, how much time you gonna spend in a dept store anyway? I figure he'll hit Tiffany's with the wife (next door to Trump Tower), they'll spend an hour walking around that store, then not go into any more stores, as they just won't have the time.

The day trip is on a Thursday (28 Dec). Better rates on JetBlue, does not interfere with weekend holiday festivities here and there, and possibly fewer people in town.

Thanks all for the input - feel free to add in if other thoughts cross your mind.

:doh:

Looking for:

Traveling advice (can I get to all these places without a bunch of taxis / train)

Other places to go

Nice place to have an early dinner

Thanks.

856509[/snapback]

One thing to do in NYC at Christmas is see the RADIO CITY CHRISTMAS SPECTACULAR

Being a guy I normally hate crap like this but lemme tell you it was pretty amazing. It moves quickly and it has shoes throughout the day

That is an awfully ambitious schedule for one day, especially since you have to add commute time from airport and check in time when you leave.

Between Dec 4-26, you can get a very plain but cheap/clean private room at The Big Apple Hostel for $95 a night - two blocks from Times Square! From there you can walk to a few of the places you wanted to see.

Great lunch or dinner at John's Pizzeria; do not let the name fool you, this is a GREAT place to eat and drink. It is a sight to see on its own (I recommend the Brooklyn Lager on tap).  edit: Pilsner  :doh:

Use shuttles from the airport and subways to go north and south. It's not hard and people are very helpful with directions.

The closer to Christmas - the longer the lines will be everywhere.

The wife and I love going to NYC for weekends. When everything is timed right, I can make it from my driveway to the Lincoln tunnel in 5 1/2 hours.

If you can only stay the day, I suggest dinner in the mid to late afternoon, wherever you go, to avoid delays.

Enjoy!   :w00t:

857517[/snapback]

Johns is da place for pizza, but gitta go to the original in the village. However, on a day trip that is out o the question unless you want to eat lunch at 10.00am or dinner at 4.00pm. For my fellow Niagara Falls brethren, Johns pizza is a lot like LaHacienda.

Someone mentioned Cab ride better than train from JFK. I dunno bout that. Took the airtrian bout a month ago. Thougt it was great, especially during rush hr. Took 43 minutes form the time i got to the airtrain terminal till I hit 53rd and 7th.Not bad from a timimg perspective, and cost me $7 instaed of $40

One other note, city is packed with tourists Christmas week(me and the family included) so if ya can, plan your trip accordingly. And what I mean by that is things you want to see that have lines, plan for early morning. Things like the Empire State Building etc. Things with no lines, ala Rockefella Center shooping etc, due after 11.00 AM.

BTW, the circle line for the stautue of liberty will be at leasat 45 minutes if you are not there by 9.30. Trust me on this. If you cannot get there by then, see ole lady liberty from the plane!