Beck's Clap Hands

Simon

I submit that if innovation and originality do not constitute "accomplished," then "accomplished" has no value.

851506[/snapback]

Innovation and originality are merely two of the necessary components of "accomplished" A three-year old kid, or a monkey (or a garage band guitarist) can be original and innovative (there's a pretty big overlap between original and innovative, now that I think about it), but let's not pretend they are accomplished.

First you master the instrument and learn the "rules"...THEN you change them!

(How's THAT for pompus?) :blink:

Innovation and originality are merely two of the necessary components of "accomplished"  A three-year old kid, or a monkey (or a garage band guitarist) can be original and innovative (there's a pretty big overlap between original and innovative, now that I think about it), but let's not pretend they are accomplished.

(How's THAT for pompus?)  :blink:

851962[/snapback]

I can listen to the American Anthology of Folk Music and hear plenty of guys and girls who knew no rules or made them up as they went along. Granted they were dealing with uncharted territory back then, whereas everything now has been mapped out, charted, you name it. But I think mastery is occupying too narrow a definition in your interpretation. And mastery doesn't always = training or schooling or long years of study. Some people just have it.

Beck has released a few great records (Odelay and Sea Change are my favorites), but I feel like his best songwriting is behind him. He is a hell of a performer though. I'd argue not much is original about him -- his is more a postmodern pastiche of soul, blues, hip-hop performance. If there is an originality to him it's in that mixing of style.

Innovation and originality are merely two of the necessary components of "accomplished"  A three-year old kid, or a monkey (or a garage band guitarist) can be original and innovative (there's a pretty big overlap between original and innovative, now that I think about it), but let's not pretend they are accomplished.

(How's THAT for pompus?)   :worthy:

851962[/snapback]

For sheer pomposity, quite acceptable - but for you, not so much with the spelling. :blink:

851962[/snapback]

Would it be pompous of me to say, that after watching half that clip of Beck, I now have a headache? :worthy:

851962[/snapback]

You're right. I oversimplified. I kind of mistook [innovative vs. accomplished] as [creatively interesting vs. commercially successful].

In any case, I'd rather hear that 3 year old than someone I consider technically excellent but boring, such as Joe Satriani or Generic Crapton.

JS isn't boring :blink:

851988[/snapback]

It's just a matter of taste. To tell you the truth, I don't understand half of what JS is doing on the fretboard. I could list several technically bad guitar players (Neil Young & Lou Reed come to mind) that I like better, simply because that's what I like.

I say all this as a very bad amateur guitar player.

It's just a matter of taste.  To tell you the truth, I don't understand half of what JS is doing on the fretboard.  I could list several technically bad guitar players (Neil Young & Lou Reed come to mind) that I like better, simply because that's what I like.

I say all this as a very bad amateur guitar player.

851996[/snapback]

Thanks a :beer: lot you :nana: !!!! I had this song in my head all night and woke up with it in my :lol: head!

Its a good song though. I like Beck a lot.

Thanks a  :P lot you  :bag: !!!! I had this song in my head all night and woke up with it in my  :censored: head!

Its a good song though. I like Beck a lot.

852616[/snapback]

Me too...and now my dining room table is all dinged up and all my plates have chips in them.