Marv please use you head

coltrane34

Again with how terrible drafting a QB first 15 picks is....  Like Rivers, Manning  X 2, Vick, McNab, Brees, Rothlisberger...  Is it a risk.... yes...  So was Mike Williams and players at almost every position.......

840639[/snapback]

Nothing is 'terrible' per-say.....if it's the #1 pick....or at worst the top 5. Drafting QBs outside the top 5 has knobs on it though. There is only a 15% success rate of QBs drafted in the 1st...outside of the top 5. I'm certain there is a much greater success rate for all other positions.....hell, only 1 in 3 QBs selected from 2-5 make the grade, let alone those after #5.

I've said this many, many times now....& I guess I'll keep repeating myself in the future.

Link to QB success rates

BTW, Brees was a 2nd rounder.

Edited by Dibs

Exactly, they only recently decided to limit the passing game.

840702[/snapback]

Absolutely not true.

Week 2...At Miami...11 for 18 for 83 yards.

While I won't argue he has been passing less, in part, to avoid turnovers, the plan to run heavily and pass lightly against Miami and the Colts was exactly that. A plan. Say what you want about how bad this team is, the plan worked in Miami and it came damn close to working in Indy (with what could have been the upset of the year)...two road games...and in both cases, the fans were all but taken out of the game. We're not good enough on offense to score a lot of points at this juncture, so I have no problem with trying to run the ball to keep the other offense off the field and let the defense get some turnovers.

Everybody pisses and moans about the loss to Indy, but the reality is the plan and the team were a field goal away from taking the lead in the fourth quarter, on the road, against an undefeated team, and with a limping team of underachievers.

It was a loss, yes, but to me it was a step forward.

No matter what happens with JP, the bills must realize that they need a lot more than just a QB.  Regardless of how you feel about JP, his surrounding cast has helped to put him in this position.  Bad playcalls, a bad line, bad recievers and TE's(except Evans), and so on.  The blame can be spread around the entire team. 

You cannot draft a rookie QB to fix these problems.  These problems are exactly what can be addressed in the draft.  A big WR, a couple good lineman (offensive and defensive), and possibly a LB who can help stop the run can all be found there.

The only issue that cant be addressed by the draft is the playcalling, where for some reason the Bills think that they can throw on every third and short, and run on the first two downs. Drafting Smith or Quinn will still leave all of these issues and probably increase the amount of mistakes actually made by the QB.

I have faith in JP if all of these issues are addressed, and they take the reins off  and allow him to do what he does.  But if a new QB is brought into Buffalo he must be a veteran.  Someone who can allow these other lesser players over achieve.  Someone who is sure of his qualifications and can help these young guys learn to win.  Its a state of mind with the coaches, players, and fans.  It seems like all just wait for something bad to happen in the game and find a way to lose.  JP (or another vetran QB )must be the one on the field to show some heart and turn this mentality around. Quinn or Smith cannot thrive in this situation and will force the Bills fans to suffer through more difficult seasons.

840592[/snapback]

I have little faith in JP...--but I also agree that we shouldnt take the bigtime QB with a first pick---because #1 we would have to trade picks for that high a #1...and #2 because we need to trade DOWN and get linemen linemen linemen.

No matter what happens with JP, the bills must realize that they need a lot more than just a QB.  Regardless of how you feel about JP, his surrounding cast has helped to put him in this position.  Bad playcalls, a bad line, bad recievers and TE's(except Evans), and so on.  The blame can be spread around the entire team. 

You cannot draft a rookie QB to fix these problems.  These problems are exactly what can be addressed in the draft.  A big WR, a couple good lineman (offensive and defensive), and possibly a LB who can help stop the run can all be found there.

The only issue that cant be addressed by the draft is the playcalling, where for some reason the Bills think that they can throw on every third and short, and run on the first two downs. Drafting Smith or Quinn will still leave all of these issues and probably increase the amount of mistakes actually made by the QB.

I have faith in JP if all of these issues are addressed, and they take the reins off  and allow him to do what he does.  But if a new QB is brought into Buffalo he must be a veteran.  Someone who can allow these other lesser players over achieve.  Someone who is sure of his qualifications and can help these young guys learn to win.  Its a state of mind with the coaches, players, and fans.  It seems like all just wait for something bad to happen in the game and find a way to lose.  JP (or another vetran QB )must be the one on the field to show some heart and turn this mentality around. Quinn or Smith cannot thrive in this situation and will force the Bills fans to suffer through more difficult seasons.

840592[/snapback]

If Marv doesn't know where our offensive weaknesses are and doesn't address them in the draft, then he should be fired.

We need an O-line. Joe Thomas and Levi Brown will likely be the first two taken. Thomas comes out of Wisc. and they have a good rep there for o-line. Look, there will be QBs in every draft and there are some great junior QBs out there. So, I don't think going QB this year is a great idea, unless USC's John David Booty comes out early is around somewhere in the second round. I think USC QBs are the real deal.