"Legends of the Buffalo Bills" New Bills Book

OnTheRocks

My beef with Knox was that he traded OJ Simpson, Jim Braxton, Paul Seymour, drafted Tom Cousineau, and signed Dobler and Villipiano. He never groomed a backup to Ferguson, which cost us dearly in '80.  Knox was the 3rd best coach in Bills history and did many positive things, but should the 3rd best coach in Bills history be in a legends book?

839685[/snapback]

OJ, Jim Braxton and Paul Seymour had all seen their best days by then.

Sure, the Cousineau draft wasn't the best, but if you are going to blame him for drafting Cousineau, give him credit for drafting Haslett, Smerlas, Cribbs, and Jerry Butler. Under him, we got Frank Lewis...and on top of all that the Cousineau pick turned out pretty damn good for us. I believe, we eventually turned that "bad' pick into Jim Kelly.

Dobler and Villiapiano were decent, if not great, contributers for a short part of that run. They were braught in as role players, not as foundations to build on. Villiapiano was a good special teamer...

As far as not grooming a back-up to Ferguson, the NFL was a little different then. You stuck with the QB you had, back-ups didn't really get a chance to be groomed, unless the starter was injured. Ralph was a very cheap owner (I know that is not a popular thing to say, but it is true) and would never be one to pay for an experienced back-up QB. In those days, few teams had great back-ups, if they did, they got lucky.