Books

Dr. Fong

Very surprised to hear that Tom. I would have thought that series would have been right up your alley.

Those novels are certainly not for the mildly interested, or those who speed read. I found myself having to read and reread portions in each book.

While God Emperor of Dune is not my favorite book, it does advance the story. I suppose it makes much more sense once you read the other two stories, but it seems you have already given up on that. Ah well, Dune is not for everyone.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Herbert and Anderson are hacks. They certainly aren't Frank Herbert, and are not so foolish as to attempt to mimic his writing style. They have thier uses, but I would not really be that interested in reading any of thier non-Dune material. I have read some of Anderson's Star Wars stuff and was not impressed. Then again, it's hard to follow Zahn too.

I read so little fiction these days. I think you would like "Riding Rockets" by Mike Mullane...

838271[/snapback]

Dune is one of my all-time favorite books, period. Children of Dune is up there, too. Most of Herbert's other books ("The White Plague" is another of my favorite books) I've read and enjoyed as well. And you're right...they're not for speed readers (which I am...so every time I re-read one of his books I get something new out of it).

God Emperor of Dune, though...it took me seven YEARS to get past page 186. Nothing special about that page, it's just that somehow that was the point I'd hit and say "God, why am I even reading this?" and put it down. Tried rereading it last week, in fact...couldn't do it. Preferred reading a history of mud... :lol:

I'll give Herbert and Anderson credit for not trying to mimic dad's writing style...but compared to what Dune was, their Dune novels are SO sadly shallow it makes me question whether or not they should have even been written...which pretty much defines "hack" for me. Never read any of Anderson's other stuff...I suspect, given that it's Star Wars writing, I'd be unimpressed (on the principle that any writer that has to borrow someone else's universe to write in probably doesn't have the imagination to be a truly good writer.)

Dune is one of my all-time favorite books, period.  Children of Dune is up there, too.  Most of Herbert's other books ("The White Plague" is another of my favorite books) I've read and enjoyed as well.  And you're right...they're not for speed readers (which I am...so every time I re-read one of his books I get something new out of it). 

God Emperor of Dune, though...it took me seven YEARS to get past page 186.  Nothing special about that page, it's just that somehow that was the point I'd hit and say "God, why am I even reading this?" and put it down.  Tried rereading it last week, in fact...couldn't do it.  Preferred reading a history of mud...   :lol:

I'll give Herbert and Anderson credit for not trying to mimic dad's writing style...but compared to what Dune was, their Dune novels are SO sadly shallow it makes me question whether or not they should have even been written...which pretty much defines "hack" for me.  Never read any of Anderson's other stuff...I suspect, given that it's Star Wars writing, I'd be unimpressed (on the principle that any writer that has to borrow someone else's universe to write in probably doesn't have the imagination to be a truly good writer.)

838330[/snapback]

History of mud eh? Scintillating stuff, I am sure.

I love Dune so much, I am willing to read the new stuff to somewhat flesh out the story a bit. The pre-prequel stuff about the thinking machines was pretty good.

BTW, many other Frank Herbert books which have been out of print forever are being re-published. So you can read "The White Plauge" . I am looking forward to getting a new copy of "Hellstrom's Hive" so I don't have to defile my mint first edition. It's next to my first print, minty fresh Dune...

History of mud eh? Scintillating stuff, I am sure.

A military history of mud. Someone's PhD thesis, they managed to get published as an actual book. While it's certainly a valuable and necessary area of study for military history and science...for the casual military historian (which I'm really not), it's probably pretty dull. And even for the more serious historian, it can pretty much be summed up as "It's cold, wet, dirty, and sticky."

I love Dune so much, I am willing to read the new stuff to somewhat flesh out the story a bit. The pre-prequel stuff about the thinking machines was pretty good.

Having the backstory was nice. Being able to read it in half an afternoon was nice. Doesn't make it good writing.

BTW, many other Frank Herbert books which have been out of print forever are being re-published. So you can read "The White Plauge" . I am looking forward to getting a new copy of "Hellstrom's Hive" so I don't have to defile my mint first edition. It's next to my first print, minty fresh Dune...

838339[/snapback]

Awesome. "The White Plague" and the three early novels reprinted in 2002 ("The Santaroga Barrier", "The Green Brain", and I forget the third) are his only non-Dune novels I've read, and I've always wanted to read more ("The Lazarus Effect", for example...which has been out of print for 15 years or so).

I enjoy alternative history, so, anything in that field by Harry Turtledove. John Birmingham has some good stuff too.

DeMille is a good read.

When Clancy writes his own stuff it's good, but he's been absent for about 2 years.

Otherwise most of the books I really enjoyed are fairly old.

I'm planning to read Adams vs Texas, a book written by Randall Dale Adams, who was wrongly convicted of and served over 12 years in prison for the murder of a Dallas police officer. I saw the movie "The Thin Blue Line" (which helped to free Adams from prison) and loved it. This book is his account of what happened and goes into more detail than the Errol Morris documentary did.

I enjoy alternative history, so, anything in that field by Harry Turtledove.  John Birmingham has some good stuff too.

DeMille is a good read.

When Clancy writes his own stuff it's good, but he's been absent for about 2 years.

Otherwise most of the books I really enjoyed are fairly old.

838559[/snapback]

If you haven't read it, I suggest "Guns of the South" by Turtledove. Good for an afternoon read...

If you haven't read it, I suggest "Guns of the South" by Turtledove. Good for an afternoon read...

838764[/snapback]

That was the one that started me off.

There's a series thats starts with 'How Few Remain' That carries the concept of a Southern win in the Civil was from the 1860's to the 1940's (so far)