The Mock Drafts Are Out:

Astrobot

How exactly, will a round 1 corner set this franchise back years in its development? And will a round 1 CB followed by a round 2 OG and a round 3 OT set us back as well?

838728[/snapback]

Because if you look at our draft history, we draft these guys and then lose them when their contract expires. Clements was an exception because he was "franchised," and even he is expected by most to be gone in 07. Think about this for a minute.

It doesn't even seem to matter how good they are.....Burress, Winfield, T. Smith, Odoms....gone. Other teams use these top picks and keep players who are good. The league is full of examples. This is what teams are supposed to do, or so one would think, no? Not us. We draft DBs and wave goodbye.

This is obviously dumb, and it is clearly a primary reason why we are losing.

How can this be disputed?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because if you look at our draft history, we draft these guys and then lose them when their contract expires. Clements was an exception because he was "franchised," and even he is expected by most to be gone in 07. Think about this for a minute.

It doesn't even seem to matter how good they are.....Burress, Winfield, T. Smith, Odoms....gone. Other teams use these top picks and keep players who are good. The league is full of examples. This is what teams are supposed to do, or so one would think, no? Not us. We draft DBs and wave goodbye.

This is obviously dumb, and it is clearly a primary reason why we are losing.

How can this be disputed?

839453[/snapback]

I think you've generalized a little but the overall concept I agree with. It seems of late(last 10 years or so) CBs & WRs are possisions that teams seem to think can be easily replaced....compared to other possitions. Obviously the mentality is wrong since virtually every team that lets their star CB or WR go end up in trouble trying to find the replacement.

Maybe Marv & Co. will think differently to the norm & be prepared to pay the required amounts to keep the players when their due for a new contract. I don't know if NC will be a good indicator unless he comes on really strong in the next 7 games.

At least we've signed Schobel & Peters to extensions. I'd love Fletcher to be re- signed(this week) also.

At least we've signed Schobel & Peters to extensions.  I'd love Fletcher to be re- signed(this week) also.

839467[/snapback]

The extensions of Schobel and Peters were great moves. I am in the minority, but I hope they can re-sign Nate, if for no other reason to stop the revolving door of corners.

As for Fletch, I don't know if I have ever seen a better fit for the franchise tag. Fletch is a great player, but he is not young. With the cap increase, a team that thinks they are a player away from the superbowl might be willing to make him a HUGE offer, and many teams will probably have room to do so.

The Bills will be sitting with mega millions in cap space in 07, and a 6 or 7 million salary to Fletch wouldn't hurt them. Additionally, they would have zero cap obligation to him in 08.

Times have changed. With the new CBA, we have already seen a 52 million dollar guard. Imo, the Bills CAN compete in 07 if they draft smart, bowl over Steinbach with untold dollars, and keep our best players.

Like it or not, Fletch and Nate are 2 of our best players.

Jmo.

Troy Smith right now is going on most mocks at #16, so if you meant mid-first round....

837198[/snapback]

Many people have Troy Smith going in the mid first round, but I would have to disagree. I really think that the Raiders will end up taking him because he is an Al Davis/Art Shell kind of player. The Raiders may end up taking Brady Quinn, but Troy Smith would be my bet here.

Personally I would like the Bills to take someone like Joe Thomas from Wisconsin- that is if we don't slide down in the first round. Here's hoping that we don't.

I have very high hopes for the remainder of the season.  The 'nayayers' will feel shame as the Bills will win the next 7-straight, finish 10-6, gain a wild card berth, avenge regular season losses to the Patriots and the Dolts, win the AFC and Superbowl, and end up drafting last!!!

Posluszny! :doh:

838763[/snapback]

Well Senator it looks like we are headed in the directiong that you think we are with todays win now we just need W's from the next 6 games.