Only Way To Find Out If Losman Will Stay

I will be the first one to admit that there is not much that I like about Losman (actually, there is nothing) but if he is going to be the starter for the rest of the season, let it all hang out. Now that the coaches (if they have a clue) realize that this team is playing for next year, why not just let Losman do his thing. If he gets pummeled in the process - so be it.

JP is learning absolutley NOTHING with this gameplan. If anything, his confidence is getting stomped on in the process. What can this staff possibly learn about what he can do if they do everything possible to make him as insignificant as possible?

He is learning how to execute THE game plan.....It maybe conservative, but gives them a better chance to win games regardless of how much we like it or not...

If we don't like it, I don't think Dick really cares. He is trying to win games with what little talent they have.You have noticed that we have very little talent on offense haven't you???

Read Dicks comments and look at the results since the bye week. We are 1-1.......

IMO

Get used to it because we will NOT be throwing the ball 40 times a game unless we get behind by 3 scores ......Pound the ball A-TRAIN is the game plan.......

As for JP, he did not look to worried or upset to me in the 4th QT. sunday as a matter of fact he looked rather relaxed and under control....IMO

I honestly think the coaches have lost more faith in the O-line than in JP. If you notice earlier in the season he would attempt to throw a lot of deep passes. Against the Dolphins he got a crucial pass interference on a deep pass attempt to Evans. Against the Jets he kept trying to throw deep balls against that cutting wind. He even had a few drops and near misses on deep passes against the Lions and Pats and completed a deep pass on a broken play to Parrish. In the past 2 games since the O-line shuffle the protection has been worse and you haven't seen but one pass attempt beyond 20 yards as he just hasn't had the time in the pocket. My biggest complaint with JP earlier in the season was that he sometimes held the ball and took coverage sacks but then I began to realize that this must explain the reason why the TEs and RBs aren't involved in the passing game for they are either blocking or chipping DL and aren't options for dumpoff passes. I wathc the game from TV but I'm not in the stands to see plays develop. Those who act like they know and complain that he looks lost and can't read D maybe are just reacing looking at the TV view but not caring about what is happening downfield. But what I can see is the pocket and after they have made this O-Line shift he clearly doesn't have anytime in the pocket to scan the field; barely even to setup. I have been very critical of Fairchild but maybe I'm not taking into account the fact that he must keep those TE's and RB's in to block aginst a 4 man line or really get JP killed. And if that is the case their is no way 2 or even 3 WR can get open against 6,7 defenders consistently, especially if they only pass on known passing situations.

I will be the first one to admit that there is not much that I like about Losman (actually, there is nothing) but if he is going to be the starter for the rest of the season, let it all hang out. Now that the coaches (if they have a clue) realize that this team is playing for next year, why not just let Losman do his thing. If he gets pummeled in the process - so be it.

JP is learning absolutley NOTHING with this gameplan. If anything, his confidence is getting stomped on in the process. What can this staff possibly learn about what he can do if they do everything possible to make him as insignificant as possible?

836497[/snapback]

I'd like to see him scramble more often. If he can't get it done throwing the ball, make something happen with his mobility. I agree though, the way to find out if JP's our quarterback for next year is if he plays the entire season.

In the past 2 games since the O-line shuffle the protection has been worse and you haven't seen but one pass attempt beyond 20 yards as he just hasn't had the time in the pocket. My biggest complaint with JP earlier in the season was that he sometimes held the ball and took coverage sacks but then I began to realize that this must explain the reason why the TEs and RBs aren't involved in the passing game for they are either blocking or chipping DL and aren't options for dumpoff passes.

836571[/snapback]

I think this is the biggest issue right here - the OL needs some time to get in sync and see if they can work. The problem is a catch-22....if the coaches keep calling running plays 90% of the time, how is the line supposed to figure out the pass protection?

I say go back to the game plan from the beginning of the season and make the offense less predictable....take some chances by throwing the ball, use the TEs and RBs more as receivers (not a lot, but slowly work them in the patterns), and give the opposition something to think about. As long as JP knows he'll be taking some lumps, I see no problems with this. Yeah, his confidence may take a hit (or maybe not), but this is the only way to see if the rebuilt OL can get any better.

I think this is the biggest issue right here - the OL needs some time to get in sync and see if they can work. The problem is a catch-22....if the coaches keep calling running plays 90% of the time, how is the line supposed to figure out the pass protection?

I say go back to the game plan from the beginning of the season and make the offense less predictable....take some chances by throwing the ball, use the TEs and RBs more as receivers (not a lot, but slowly work them in the patterns), and give the opposition something to think about. As long as JP knows he'll be taking some lumps, I see no problems with this. Yeah, his confidence may take a hit (or maybe not), but this is the only way to see if the rebuilt OL can get any better.

836576[/snapback]

I agree for they have some success running the ball. If they combine that with more short passes to TE's and RB's and quick passes such as curls and slants to the WR it will keep the chains moving and also give the WR a chance to get RAC yards. It is obvious that keeping TE's in to block accomplish nothing as the passrushers are still getting through and that one less receiver the defense has to account for. Earlier in the season we were getting hurt more by blitzes and it's understandable to max protect. But the past 2 games hasn't been the case at all.

My biggest issue is that in the 1st 2,3 drives of games when the plays are scripted they call more of the passes we just mention and they have a little success moving the ball in every game. But after that the go away from it. I don't understand. I need to see some coaching tape or go sit in the stands and watch the game if I could so that I could see plays develop fully and see who is getting open and so forth.

I'd like to see him scramble more often.  If he can't get it done throwing the ball, make something happen with his mobility.  I agree though, the way to find out if JP's our quarterback for next year is if he plays the entire season.

836575[/snapback]

I strongly agree. Roll the man out. Let him run once or twice early in the game to keep the defense guessing. This stay in the pocket stuff is too predictable and easier to defend. This is especially true if you cut off one of Losman's strong qualities which is his ability to run with the ball.

I know this is a sore subject around here but when Flutie scrambled, he made an equally suspect offensive line look less mediocre because his mobility helped the Bills move the ball, get first downs and... yes, score touchdowns!!! Offensive touchdowns, remember them?

We are no longer dealing with your father's Bledsoe. Roll him out!

I strongly agree.  Roll the man out.  Let him run once or twice early in the game to keep the defense guessing.  This stay in the pocket stuff is too predictable and easier to defend.  This is especially true if you cut off one of Losman's strong qualities which is his ability to run with the ball. 

836755[/snapback]

The thing is, does the coaching staff value winning the game over develpoing Losman and other young players. Is this season about winning at all costs or developing players? If its developing players, expect the same from JP and the coaching staff, if its about winning, they will start mixing it up and letting him run and throw.

Doesn't rolling out to the left or right mean that the def. only has to defend, half the field??

We will continue to see the same plan as the last 2 games, Marv and Dick don't give a crap about what we think.............

A-train to the left and A-train to the left again with an occasional pass...

Keep the game close until the 4th qt and try to make a play late.....We have no talent on offense.

Doesn't rolling out to the left or right mean that the def. only has to defend, half the field??

We will continue to see the same plan as the last 2 games, Marv and Dick don't give a crap about what we think.............

A-train to the left and A-train to the left again with an occasional pass...

Keep the game close until the 4th qt and try to make a play late.....We have no talent on offense.

836776[/snapback]

Yes. Half of the field. But which half of the field? And that half of the field isn't necessarily the middle of the field. The idea is to destabilize the defensive rush which seems to regularly collapse the pocket. Roll him out and if there is nothing there throw it out of bounds. If anything, it also means the rushers have to move. Rollouts / scrambling also can take some of the pressure of the offensive linemen. I wonder if Losman can be effective throwing from the left side of the field?

Marv and Dick probably don't care what we think but in the back of their minds they know we are out here! Especially, when their contracts are close to running out.

I do like A-Train! What a pick up. He hits holes and carries tacklers. It almost worked on Sunday. Just finish a few of the drives with touchdowns please!

Why is it throwing caution to the wind???? He is a first round pick who has never been allowed to throw with abandon. Why not???? Let him fail or get sacked 8 times and throw 4 ints.

Let's see Brady I think has thrown 4 ints the last 2 games.... Gerrard 4 on sunday. Grossman threw 4 ints and had 2 fumbles in one game. I could go on and on....

JP was terrible vs. Chi.... Got the short end of the stick vs. Detroit where he was not nearly as bad as reported and against NE he was ineffective. GB & Indy they basically gave up on him as if he was the emergency fill in after both QB's go down the same game.

Why is it throwing caution to the wind????  He is a first round pick who has never been allowed to throw with abandon.  Why not????  Let him fail or get sacked 8 times and throw 4 ints.

Let's see Brady I think has thrown 4 ints the last 2 games....  Gerrard 4 on sunday.  Grossman threw 4 ints and had 2 fumbles in one game.  I could go on and on....

JP was terrible vs. Chi....  Got the short end of the stick vs. Detroit where he was not nearly as bad as reported and against NE he was ineffective.  GB & Indy they basically gave up on him as if he was the emergency fill in after both QB's go down the same game.

836976[/snapback]

My initial reaction was "Yeah....set up a gameplan around him(& the OL) for a change!"....& I was typing away when I realized.....

Perhaps......just perhaps.....DJ is a very clever coach. I play poker regularly(local tournaments). There is two main types of players. The loosy-goosy types who go all-in a lot, see the flop with 7-9 offsuited, & generally play for a bit of luck. The other type patiently wait for the cards/situation to come around so they can strike (though much more infrequently) at a more successful rate.

DJ coaches like the second type of poker player. If you're percentages are higher by playing conservative.....then the smart person does exactly that.

I'm not saying the playcalling overall is excellent(Fairchild IMO is pretty much gone next year) but if the overall gameplan being used can beat the Pack & keep it tight against the Colts....perhaps it is the higher percent way to go.