The Freeney Sack.

Bob in STL

I think this was the play of the game. My thoughts on it are:

1. I did not like the call on 3rd and 5 but that is because I wanted to stay conservative. I just don't trust Losman and too many things can go wrong on a pass play. Unfortunately, one of them did.

In reality, 3rd and 5 is a down where you should be able to pass or run. Our offense is so flawed that any 3rd down play is a risk.

2. Dwight Freeney lined up way outside and completely beat the TE, not the LT. The Colts were overstacked on our left, they have been looking for a run to the left side. Freeney blew by #84 (Royal) and JP had no chance. JP's ability to sense the rush is not there. Either that or the carpet must be very soft and quiet in the RCA dome.

3. Others are, but I cannot blame Jauron since Fairchild calls the play. There are just so many missed assignments on the offense. The right side of the line is very poor. The TE's do not contribute. The 2nd WR is a non factor. Then you have Losman who still plays like a rookie.

4. I feel we were fortunate to only lose by a point. Thanks to the defense and special teams for that. I guess Jauron and staff did something right to keep us in the game.

5. There is lots of blame to go around if that is what you seek to do. For me, it is hard to judge Fairchild, Jauron, or even Losman when we have such a lack of talent on offense.

I think this was the play of the game.  My thoughts on it are:

1.  I did not like the call on 3rd and 5 but that is because I wanted to stay conservative.  I just don't trust Losman and too many things can go wrong on a pass play.  Unfortunately, one of them did. 

In reality, 3rd and 5 is a down where you should be able to pass or run.  Our offense is so flawed that any 3rd down play is a risk. 

2.  Dwight Freeney lined up way outside and completely beat the TE, not the LT.  The Colts were overstacked on our left, they have been looking  for a run to the left side.  Freeney blew by #84 (Royal) and JP had no chance.    JP's ability to sense the rush is not there.  Either that or the carpet must be very soft and quiet in the RCA dome. 

3.  Others are, but I cannot blame Jauron since Fairchild calls the play.  There are just so many missed assignments on the offense.  The right side of the line is very poor.  The TE's do not contribute.  The 2nd WR is a non factor.  Then you have Losman who still plays like a rookie. 

4.  I feel we were fortunate to only lose by a point.  Thanks to the defense and special teams for that.  I guess Jauron and staff did something right to keep us in the game. 

5.  There is lots of blame to go around if that is what you seek to do.  For me, it is  hard to judge Fairchild, Jauron, or even Losman when we have such a lack of talent on offense.

834497[/snapback]

right on, here's my earlier post on that play:

in the end jauron abandoned a game plan that had gotten bills into a potential late 4th quarter lead by calling pass on 3rd and 5 from the 20. the one thing they couldnt do in that situation is take a sack and made the go ahead field goal longer. the tackles had been getting lit up on passing plays all day and JP couldn't sense a pass rush with the most sophisticated GPS navigation system. just like clockwork tackle gets beat off the ball, jp has no clue and gets sacked and lindell misses 41 yard field goal. i honestly think if the field goal would have been 35 that lindell makes it. the colts were only able to get 17 points through more than 3 & 1/2 quarters and the best option was to make sure you put the onus on them to score on you. bills didn't need a TD ... they needed FG and going for a TD by calling pass wasn't worth the risk.

in the end jauron abandoned a game plan that had gotten bills into a potential late 4th quarter lead by calling pass on 3rd and 5 from the 20. the one thing they couldnt do in that situation is take a sack and made the go ahead field goal longer. the tackles had been getting lit up on passing plays all day and JP couldn't sense a pass rush with the most sophisticated GPS navigation system. just like clockwork tackle gets beat off the ball, jp has no clue and gets sacked and lindell misses 41 yard field goal. i honestly think if the field goal would have been 35 that lindell makes it. the colts were only able to get 17 points through more than 3 & 1/2 quarters and the best option was to make sure you put the onus on them to score on you. bills didn't need a TD ... they needed FG and going for a TD by calling pass wasn't worth the risk.

834508[/snapback]

Well, if the Bills had a decent, NFL caliber, offense I would say you go for the TD and the 2 points. Then Manning needs a TD and a extra point to tie you.

Given the state of our offense, running the ball with A-Train was the best play. He ripped off 3 good runs before they stuffed him on first down. Why not got to the well again?

Oh well, that is why I am at home watching I guess.

Well, if the Bills had a decent, NFL caliber, offense I would say you go for the TD and the 2 points. Then Manning needs a TD and a extra point to tie you.

Given the state of our offense, running the ball with A-Train was the best play.  He ripped off 3 good runs before they stuffed him on first down.  Why not got to the well again?

Oh well, that is why I am at home watching I guess.

834519[/snapback]

agree 100%. you play the cards you're dealt. and who's to say A Train wouldnt have gotten the 5 yards anyway? for sure he doesnt lose 7 and push the FG out past 40 yards. stupid

On the last play of the Pats-Jets game, Brady got nailed by Shaun Ellis, the Jets' LDE (going against the RT).  Did he not sense the rush, have no time, etc.?

834513[/snapback]

theyre not even comparable situations. pats were down by 3, out of field goal and had no time left. they had no choice but to go for a deperation play and wait till someone got open. every qb gets sacked now and then, problem in JPs case is that he rarely ever senses or avoids one. unlike brady who has demonstrated great footwork and pocket sense. as for the situation it was not the right to expose us to JPs and the Olines weakness

That makes it all the more excusable.  What because the Pats won 3 SB's makes Brady immune from taking sacks when he has no chance?

834525[/snapback]

No. I just think that Brady has more than proven himself in crucial situations. Given his track record how can you blame the Pats for putting the game in his hands.

Can the same be said for JP?

agree 100%. you play the cards you're dealt. and who's to say A Train wouldnt have gotten the 5 yards anyway? for sure he doesnt lose 7 and push the FG out past 40 yards.  stupid

834524[/snapback]

You seem to forget the fact that he (Thomas) had already lost 2 yards on the previous play. That play was just as crucial.

theyre not even comparable situations. pats were down by 3, out of field goal and had no time left. they had no choice but to go for a deperation play and wait till someone got open. every qb gets sacked now and then, problem in JPs case is that he rarely ever senses or avoids one.  unlike brady who has demonstrated great footwork and pocket sense.  as for the situation it was not the right to expose us to JPs and the Olines weakness

First off, the sack meant little because the Bills were still in FG range when Lindell made his kick and missed, and in reality the Colts would have marched-down the field, as they DID, and scored the winning FG. But WRT the topic of this thread, you can't blame JP for taking that sack when he had NO chance, just like Brady didn't. That's my point.

You seem to forget the fact that he (Thomas) had already lost 2 yards on the previous play. That play was just as crucial.

834541[/snapback]

WTF? What don't you understand here? When you have an easy 35 yd FG with a chance to take a cushy 2pt lead against a Colts offense that can't score, you take it. None if this go for the TD crap that any decent coach would do which - if resulting in a sack - could set up a near-impossible 41 yd kick in windy conditions with a kicker who may have missed once last year.

834508[/snapback]

I totally disagree, The 3rd and 5 pass was the right play because they were taking a shot at the endzone(or get the 1stdown) and a sack still leaves us in good field goal range, lindell has to make that 41 yarder.....

A touchdown makes it 23-17......

First off, the sack meant little because the Bills were still in FG range when Lindell made his kick and missed, and in reality the Colts would have marched-down the field, as they DID, and scored the winning FG.  But WRT the topic of this thread, you can't blame JP for taking that sack when he had NO chance, just like Brady didn't.  That's my point.

834544[/snapback]

but knowing all they know about bills weaknesses and making that kick you can blame the coaches for calling that play. thats the whole point of this thread. colts had managed only 17 points all game, the smart move given all the above was to put the onus on them to score in the last few minutes. their last 3 possessions were 3, 6 and out and lost fumble. there was no reasson to concede anything. furthermore if bills do score a TD theyre up by 6 and colts can still score a TD to beat them. lastly who's to say A Train who'd already gained over 100 yards wouldnt have gotten the first down running? stupid stupid play call

First off, the sack meant little because the Bills were still in FG range when Lindell made his kick and missed, and in reality the Colts would have marched-down the field, as they DID, and scored the winning FG.  But WRT the topic of this thread, you can't blame JP for taking that sack when he had NO chance, just like Brady didn't.  That's my point.

834544[/snapback]

I think the sack was huge and turned a routine kick into a more difficult kick.

As you pointed out, I am not blaming JP, he had no chance. I just did not like the call. Before the play I said to my friend, "I just hope they don't do anything stupid, just run the ball". I guess I am shell shocked by this offense. I have seen enough of this offense to know we have to minimize the bad.

As for whether our defense would have held them? You never know. Conventional wisdom says that Manning takes them on a scoring drive. I would have loved the opportunity to see it.

but knowing all they know about bills weaknesses and making that kick you can blame the coaches for calling that play. thats the whole point of this thread.  colts had managed only 17 points all game, the smart move given all the above was to put the onus on them to score in the last few minutes. their last 3 possessions were 3, 6 and out and lost fumble. there was no reasson to concede anything. furthermore if bills do score a TD theyre up by 6 and colts can still score a TD to beat them. lastly who's to say A Train who'd already gained over 100 yards wouldnt have gotten the first down running? stupid stupid play call

I wasn't arguing the playcalling in that situation, other than my continual gripe that they need to let JP move around. And Lindell I agree HAS to make that kick.

I wasn't arguing the playcalling in that situation, other than my continual gripe that they need to let JP move around.  And Lindell I agree HAS to make that kick.

834561[/snapback]

Move JP around is right. How about a QB draw? He could o slipped in front of Freeney - if you're going to run a fake punt, you might as well try this.....

Who cares... We would have been up by 2 if we made the FG with 6+ minutes to go. Indy had 3 time outs left and you don't for a minute think would have had at least 2 possessions to score?

The sack was another example of the lousy play calling... The pass should have been on second down from a team that should have known they whated 8 points that possession, not 3....

Lindell is an NFL kicker and he was in range, it was a kick he should have made and he didn't, that's what lost us the game. He missed it to the right ( 0:) ) by a long way off and it had nothing to do with the distance.

834682[/snapback]

Even if Lindell had made the kick, the Bills almost certainly would have lost. The Colts were well within field goal range when they chose to kneel down to finish off the clock. With Adam Vinatari as their FG kicker, . . . um yeah. I say they would have gotten that FG, had they needed it.