11-11-06 Upset Thread

Chilly

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BCS is not perfect.  But to simply say "Blow it up" and offer zero solutions (besides three teams playing in a title game, like you have above) makes your argument moot.

837355[/snapback]

I didn't realize I had to point out an obvious solution. I mean, Division II and III seem to have figured it out all on their own.

I didn't realize I had to point out an obvious solution.   I mean, Division II and III seem to have figured it out all on their own.

838343[/snapback]

You're right. I can't believe NOBODY ever considered that. The NCAA should just set up a D1 playoff like D2 and D3, and pretend that none of the roadblocks to making that happen actually exist.

Unfortunately, in Realityland, we can't just say something and make it true. Big time college football is incomparable to the lower levels, even D1-AA, for the following reasons:

1. Money

2. Bowl games dating back to pre-WWI which resonate the game's tradition.

3. Lucrative TV contracts

4. Lucrative sponsorship deals

5. Much, much wider range of talent between the major and minor conferences. Who makes the playoffs?

6. Public interest and scrutiny

7. Greedy, disagreeable university presidents

8. Money

Trust me, I want a playoff. And I'm not saying that most or all of those issues couldn't be overcome, or even made better, with a playoff system. An example is: more games seems to equal a more lucrative TV deal, which seems to equal more money. However, those are all things that must be figured out. How do you do it? I'm not asking you to solve the problem. It's quite a quandry, as there are many factors to consider. But when you trash the current system, which is MUCH better than 10 years ago, at least make a suggestion for improvement, like Ramius did.

Don't just say something silly, like "Do it like Division III does it." A bit oversimplifying, don't you think?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.