Tired of the Regression Nonsense...

It's silly to fall into the trap of believing that the team -- or JP in particular -- has really regressed. While it's true that the Bills have an 0-3 record over the last three games, it's foolish to look past WHO those games were played against and the circumstances surrounding each game.

That is, 2 of those 3 games were against teams that have a legit shot at the Super Bowl. After the 2-2 start, we ran into a buzz saw in Chicago. Probably even the most optimistic of us saw that coming. Two weeks ago against New England, there was some false optimism about the Pats because we had played them so well in their house to start the season. The truth of the matter is that we caught them on an off-day in Week 1 and at a time before their new offense started to gel. Clearly, they are now one of the elite teams in the NFL.

Sandwiched between those games was the Detroit game. While it is true that Detroit is 1-6, they have actually been in a position to win every one of their games aside from their own collapse against Chicago. The week we played against them, they were exceptionally motivated, especially given that the Tigers had just made it to the World Series. Still, if Gandy had had an even adequate day, we probably would have won that game. Also, since when has winning a road game -- even against an "inferior" opponent -- ever been something to expect from this team? Certainly not over the last 5-6 yars.

No, for me it isn't those last 3 games we lost that continue to irk me. Rather, it is the fact that we let a vulnerable Pats team off the hook in Week 1 -- and found a way to lose to Jets after outplaying them. In reality, we should have been 4-0 going into this tough 3-game stretch. Of course, I imagine the regression cries would have been even more pronounced if we had gone 4-0 followed by 0-3!

With all of that said, if the Bills are going to PROgress, then they must beat a team like the Packers this week at home.

The week we played against them, they were exceptionally motivated, especially given that the Tigers had just made it to the World Series.

:P