BCS Week 3

bartshan-83

the other bcs

first a few notes on that one:

- ND trails USC by .001 pts. for the 9th spot :( I'd love to see the same division between the #2 and #3 teams in the final rankings. :devil:

- Computer has WVU at 13th (3rd) and Cal 3rd (10th)...interesting

REAL BCS

1. OSU (--)

2. Michigan (--)

3. Florida (+1)

4. WVU (+1)

5. Tenn (+1)

6. Louisville (+2)

7. ND (+4)

8. Texas (+2)

9. USC (-6)

10. Auburn (-3)

Honorable mention (in order): Cal, Ark

This week was difficult:

- Top 4 are pretty set in my mind

- I want to make UL lower, but until they lose....?

- I gave ND the jump because they played the best game of any top 10 team not named Ohio St. (albeit v. Navy)

- I might have USC a little low, but I think we could beat them on a neutral field.

- Auburn doesn't impress me anymore. I think LSU got jobbed in their game, Arkansas dominated them at home and they scraped by this week vs. an SEC bottom feeder. I like their win vs. Florida, but I think they are regressing. Plus, I'm not a fan of their 8 home games v. 4 away with Florida and LSU both at home.

1. Ohio State

2. Michigan

3. West Virginia

4. Florida

5. Notre Dame

6. Texas

7. Tennessee

8. California

9. Auburn

10. Louisville

Outside looking in (11-16): USC, Arkansas, Wisconsin, Boston College, Rutgers, Boise State.

That's how I see it.

-I say WVU overpowers Louisville this Thursday.

-USC fell out of my top-10. It was evident the last three games that something was not right with the Trojans. I was expecting them to lose eventually. But to Oregon State? The same Beavers who got ran off the blue turf 42-14 by Boise State? And USC had two weeks to prep? Ouch. No bonus points for the comeback try, when they shouldn't have been down by 23 in the first place.

-Notre Dame and Texas are MUCH more dangerous than Tennessee and Auburn, IMO.

-I shudder at the thought of Ohio State losing at home to Michigan and still potentially playing in the BCS title game. It would be less-criminal if Michigan plays VERY well and loses, and still backs in to the title game. However, if WVU runs the table, they HAVE to be in there, right? I hope so.

-Florida never seemed to be in any danger against Georgia, but they never put the Bulldogs away, either. I think a better team would've blown UGA's doors off, but it was a rivalry game, and as we have seen many times this year, winning ugly is often a necessity.

If I was going solely based how I feel about the teams after this past week:

1. Ohio State

2. Michigan

3a. Florida

3b. Texas

5. Notre Dame

6. Tennessee

7a. West Virginia

7b. Louisville

9. Auburn

10. Arkansas

I think West Virginia is not nearly ranked as high with any other schedule. Yes, they've had a great rushing attack all season, but they've been just manhandling people with their offensive line. Louisville has whats probably the best rush defense/d-line WVU has faced all season, so if WVU continues to run over Louisville like they have the other weeks, I'd be willing to rank them higher. I just don't trust WVU to run the ball like they are vs a Florida, Texas, or a host of other schools.

Florida is very good and evenly matched for Texas. That'd be a helluva game, wouldn't it?

Notre Dame has beaten some damn good football teams, and I think they are underrated. With their only loss to Michigan, I can't see them ranked 9th or 10th.

I also think Tennessee would beat both Louisville and West Virginia, so I put them ahead. West Virginia gets the nod over Louisville because of being unbeaten, but I just can't say that they'll beat the big boys just yet.

Auburn has the potential to win against some very good football teams and so does Tennessee, but I'm not as confident in their ability to pull out a close game as I am the other teams in my top 10.

If I was going solely based how I feel about the teams after this past week:

1. Ohio State

2. Michigan

3a. Florida

3b. Texas

5. Notre Dame

6. Tennessee

7a. West Virginia

7b. Louisville

9. Auburn

10. Arkansas

820458[/snapback]

Hey blue...I'm not trying to dog your rankings here- I like hearing all the different opinions and perceptions of different teams. My one question- You like Arkansas at #10, even after losing 50-14 to USC at home? But Cal doesn't get in the top-10 because they lost in front of 106,000 fans on the road to your #6? I'm telling you, watch out for the Bears. I think with Peterson hurt, Lynch is up there with Slaton as the best two RB's in the country.

Tennessee had the benefit of some HUGE plays when they beat Cal-

42-yd TD pass

80-yd TD pass

50-yd TD pass

43-yd TD run

Four serious defensive breakdowns in the first game of the season, and they have been rolling since. But both the Bears and the Hogs will have a chance to prove themselves, as Cal has a shot at the Pac10 title when they play USC in LA, while Arkansas still has to visit South Carolina for a night game, as well as Tennessee and LSU at home.

I don't think there's any doubt that the SEC is the best conference around top-to-bottom, but four teams in the top-10? You were that impressed with Arkansas' trouncing of Louisiana-Monroe this past Saturday? :devil:

I think the best team in the PAC10 deserves a little love over the fourth best team in the SEC, but others may not. It's all good...

1. Ohio State - Consensus #1

2. Michigan - Gets their shot to be #1 in a couple weeks

3. WVU - Most likely plays the winner of OSU/Michigan

4. Louisville - If they upset WVU will get to play winner of OSU/Michigan instead

5. Texas - Hoping for a shakeup at the top

6+ Irrelevant at this point

My one question- You like Arkansas at #10, even after losing 50-14 to USC at home?  But Cal doesn't get in the top-10 because they lost in front of 106,000 fans on the road to your #6?  I'm telling you, watch out for the Bears.  I think with Peterson hurt, Lynch is up there with Slaton as the best two RB's in the country.[/quote

I don't think there's any doubt that the SEC is the best conference around top-to-bottom, but four teams in the top-10?  You were that impressed with Arkansas' trouncing of Louisiana-Monroe this past Saturday?  :devil:

I think the best team in the PAC10 deserves a little love over the fourth best team in the SEC, but others may not.  It's all good...

820504[/snapback]

A lot of the problem of human based polling is that you can only take into account what you've seen. I try to watch as many games as I can, but unfortunately I haven't gotten too many Cal games on TV (and when I have, I've been at UT games).

Before last week I would most likely have ranked them a lot higher. I had seen parts of Cal games, but had never watched them fully until the Washington game. I was amazed by their inability to put away a Washington team which had 5 turnovers. That puts them at around 11th or 12th to me.

As far as liking Arkansas better, I think they have been a pretty damn good team that woke up after the first week of the season and is playing much better. Cal also hasn't beaten anyone in Auburn's league, which to me more then makes up for a week 1 blowout by USC.

If Cal pounds USC, and/or Arkansas loses another SEC game I'd leapfrog Cal over Arkansas, but at this point in the games I've personally watched Cal just hasn't looked quite as good to me, and I don't have confidence that Cal would beat Arkansas at this point in time.

Incorrect. That would be the BE.

BE better!

820622[/snapback]

He's saying that an undefeated team from the BE is more deserving then a 1-loss team from the SEC.

Of course, his argument is so full of holes its laughable. He even admits that WVU and Louisville most likely wouldn't be unbeaten in the SEC. He throws away the team's inner-conference schedules after that and looks at their weak out of conference scheduling (uh, yeah, if you were in the SEC would you want to schedule touch OOC teams as well?). His other argument is that the bottom SEC teams aren't as good as the bottom BE teams? Gee, Schlabach, they're all still pretty bad teams - what does this have to do with anything again?

He even admits that WVU and Louisville most likely wouldn't be unbeaten in the SEC.

820625[/snapback]

He said they would struggle.

"The Mountaineers and Cardinals would probably struggle to finish unbeaten in the meat grinder that is the SEC. Auburn couldn't do it this season. Neither could Florida, nor Tennessee. Auburn had its chance to win a national championship and lost to Arkansas. Florida lost to Auburn, and Tennessee lost to the Gators. LSU might be the best team in the league, but the Tigers can't win big games."

A lot of the problem of human based polling is that you can only take into account what you've seen.  I try to watch as many games as I can, but unfortunately I haven't gotten too many Cal games on TV (and when I have, I've been at UT games).

Before last week I would most likely have ranked them a lot higher.  I had seen parts of Cal games, but had never watched them fully until the Washington game.  I was amazed by their inability to put away a Washington team which had 5 turnovers.  That puts them at around 11th or 12th to me.

As far as liking Arkansas better, I think they have been a pretty damn good team that woke up after the first week of the season and is playing much better.  Cal also hasn't beaten anyone in Auburn's league, which to me more then makes up for a week 1 blowout by USC.

If Cal pounds USC, and/or Arkansas loses another SEC game I'd leapfrog Cal over Arkansas, but at this point in the games I've personally watched Cal just hasn't looked quite as good to me, and I don't have confidence that Cal would beat Arkansas at this point in time.

820620[/snapback]

I hear you. That's as good a logic as any. I'm giving props to Cal for scheduling Tennessee on the road the first game of the year...Not even a 'Utah State' game to work out the kinks. But you also have to give props to Arkansas for playing USC in week 1.

The only thing is, USC has really struggled against some middle-of-the-road teams, and has now been fully exposed by a bad loss. Arkansas' blowout loss to the Trojans at home suddenly doesn't look so good.

I suppose the real question is if Auburn is the truth or not. I have a hunch they are not. Tied 17-17 with Ole Miss in the 4th quarter on Saturday??? I firmly believe LSU and Florida are better teams, and Auburn was very fortunate to win those games.

the other bcs

first a few notes on that one:

- ND trails USC by .001 pts. for the 9th spot  :P  I'd love to see the same division between the #2 and #3 teams in the final rankings. :angry:

- Computer has WVU at 13th (3rd) and Cal 3rd (10th)...interesting

REAL BCS

1. OSU (--)

2. Michigan (--)

3. Florida (+1)

4. WVU (+1)

5. Tenn (+1)

6. Louisville (+2)

7. ND (+4)

8. Texas (+2)

9. USC (-6)

10. Auburn (-3)

Honorable mention (in order): Cal, Ark

This week was difficult:

- Top 4 are pretty set in my mind

- I want to make UL lower, but until they lose....?

- I gave ND the jump because they played the best game of any top 10 team not named Ohio St. (albeit v. Navy)

- I might have USC a little low, but I think we could beat them on a neutral field.

- Auburn doesn't impress me anymore.  I think LSU got jobbed in their game, Arkansas dominated them at home and they scraped by this week vs. an SEC bottom feeder.  I like their win vs. Florida, but I think they are regressing.  Plus, I'm not a fan of their 8 home games v. 4 away with Florida and LSU both at home.

820353[/snapback]

Not too shabby. Here's who I'd have as the top 10:

1. Ohio State

2. Michigan

3. Florida

4. West Virginia

5. Texas

6. Tennessee

7. USC

8. "That School"

9. Auburn

10. Louisville

I just really think WVU is the real deal and that they'll beat Louisville tonight, which is why they're ranked much higher than the Cardinals. Arkansas should be in; tough to narrow it down. USC is a shaky 7, as they haven't looked nearly as good as people have thought they would, especially on the defensive side of the ball. The game between USC and "That School" should be interesting, as I feel both teams aren't playing quite up to the hype they've received this year. Should be a very good game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.