Weis questions ND dropping in the polls

bartshan-83

Weis is pissed that we were jumped by a team who had a similar victory (Tennessee) and a team that didn't play (Florida). He got in a good quote about that;

"One of the teams [Tennessee] that jumped us had the same game that we had. They're down, they're playing at home and they win by a field goal," Weis said Tuesday. "Another team [Florida] that jumped us wasn't even playing. They were home eating cheeseburgers and they end up jumping us. That befuddles me."

:lol::lol:

Weis

I gotta say that I disagree with Charlie on this one. I think that it wasn't so much just the UCLA close call that dropped us, but the notion that is gaining strength that these types of games are becoming routine for us. Everytime we squeek out a victory (whether to a weak opponent or a quality one) it brings down our image a little bit. UCLA was the third come from behind win this season in seven games. And those three teams are a combined 13-9.

However, if USC remains unbeaten until our matchup and we take them down, I expect us to have a good as shot in getting into the title game as any other one loss team (except maybe Michigan).

I don't know that he's not just trying to fire his team up, but to be honest last week's effort was pretty pedestrian. I don't think where we sit right now means much. We still have to run the table (USC is going to have alot to say about that) and need a ton of help, just for the chance to get blown out by either Michigan or Ohio State.

I don't know that he's not just trying to fire his team up, but to be honest last week's effort was pretty pedestrian.  I don't think where we sit right now means much.  We still have to run the table (USC is going to have alot to say about that) and need a ton of help, just for the chance to get blown out by either Michigan or Ohio State.

816631[/snapback]

I think so too, though I could see Notre Dame beating Ohio State.

It seems when ND brings their "A" game, they're almost impossible to beat.

DJ Gallo was quick to call out Weis: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/061025

Honestly, complaining about the polls is the most childish, classless thing Weiss could do. He should be thinking about preparing his team to win the games they are "supposed" to win (which is basically all of them against their mickey mouse schedule). He just has to face the music....his team isn't as good as the media built them up to be before the season.

Honestly, complaining about the polls is the most childish, classless thing Weiss could do. 

816907[/snapback]

:lol:

I'm gonna toss out the idea that you aren't an Irish fan.

And that Gallo article was ridiculous. But not that I'd expect any journalistic integrity from the sole writer of Sportspickle.com. Just another anti-ND talking head who feels the need to flex his muscles a little bit. Riveting...

Every team that ever won a national championship or a major bowl game has had at least one regular season game where, for whatever reason, they didn't bring their best. And when you are a Michigan-ND-USC-Florida-Texas-type school, you take your opponent's best shot every week. In the end, all that matters is that you escape that game with a victory. Whether it's 6-3 in a defensive struggle, or 41-40 on a late TD, the key is that you were able to find a way to win.

The pollsters, like Bart mentioned, are skeptical because Notre Dame has had several of these games this year (UCLA, Mich St, GaTech.) When that happens, people question the possibility that it was just a 'down week,' and start to wonder if that's the 'true' team.

I can't figure them. Personally, I still rate them very high, and I think they can beat just about anyone in the country. The defense looks better than last year- definitely more athletic, at least. The offense SHOULD be as dynamic, and probably more dynamic than last year, but they haven't been. I don't know why. Did Weis put the entire arsenal out on film last year? Who knows.

Anyways, they have four weeks (@ Navy, vs. UNC, @ Air Force, vs. Army) to figure it out before the big showdown in L.A.- and I will be there for that one!

DJ Gallo was quick to call out Weis: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/061025

Honestly, complaining about the polls is the most childish, classless thing Weiss could do.  He should be thinking about preparing his team to win the games they are "supposed" to win (which is basically all of them against their mickey mouse schedule).  He just has to face the music....his team isn't as good as the media built them up to be before the season.

816907[/snapback]

Mickey Mouse schedule? Please.

Every team that ever won a national championship or a major bowl game has had at least one regular season game where, for whatever reason, they didn't bring their best.  And when you are a Michigan-ND-USC-Florida-Texas-type school, you take your opponent's best shot every week.  In the end, all that matters is that you escape that game with a victory.  Whether it's 6-3 in a defensive struggle, or 41-40 on a late TD, the key is that you were able to find a way to win.

The pollsters, like Bart mentioned, are skeptical because Notre Dame has had several of these games this year (UCLA, Mich St, GaTech.)  When that happens, people question the possibility that it was just a 'down week,' and start to wonder if that's the 'true' team.

I can't figure them.  Personally, I still rate them very high, and I think they can beat just about anyone in the country.  The defense looks better than last year- definitely more athletic, at least.  The offense SHOULD be as dynamic, and probably more dynamic than last year, but they haven't been.  I don't know why.  Did Weis put the entire arsenal out on film last year?  Who knows.

Anyways, they have four weeks (@ Navy, vs. UNC, @ Air Force, vs. Army) to figure it out before the big showdown in L.A.- and I will be there for that one!

817232[/snapback]

The defense returned nine starters, including the entire secondary. I don't think we got much more athletic, though at times the linebackers have been better. The secondary has been pretty much the same and outside of Ibamiri we're pretty average up front.

We lost 2 offensive linemen, Fasano, and Maurice Stovall. Stovall's absence has been the most glaring because his replacement (McKnight) has been pretty inconsistant (sometimes spectacular) and now we have inexperienced sophomores coming in to play the 3rd/4th wideout and it shows. Samardzija has dropped a bunch of drive killing passes and Quinn has been rattled with pressure because the OLine hasn't been very consistant.

The defense returned nine starters, including the entire secondary.  I don't think we got much more athletic, though at times the linebackers have been better. 

817527[/snapback]

I suppose the second year in a scheme allows the athleticism to shine through. More reaction and instinct rather than worrying about if you're in the right spot. They definitely appear quicker on the defensive side of the ball.

I noticed that UCLA punted at the end of the game last week and the safety Zibikowski (pretty sure I butchered his name there) was not back to return. Anything up with him?

I suppose the second year in a scheme allows the athleticism to shine through.  More reaction and instinct rather than worrying about if you're in the right spot.  They definitely appear quicker on the defensive side of the ball.

I noticed that UCLA punted at the end of the game last week and the safety Zibikowski (pretty sure I butchered his name there) was not back to return.  Anything up with him?

817542[/snapback]

He took a wicked shot to the neck returning a punt about 3 weeks ago. He was shaken up (tough to do to this mf) and didnt play the next week. Then last week he played defense but maybe he is done returning punts for awhile.

He is a tough SOB though. He has never made a fair catch in his life! And I've seen him fck around like wrestling/fighting with some of our older players who were LBs and he pretty much kicked their asses. Probably the last person I know that I would ever mess with.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.