Matt Schaub

Ramius

I think that we really should think of this season as JP's rookie season. The turnaround from last year has been tremendous. I think many established, veteran QBs would struggle if given a new coach and offensive coordinator running a new offense with new plays.

Add in the fact that the team lost last year's #1 WR, there's a new center snapping Losman the ball, a new starting LG and TE, and serious questions as to the ablility of the WRs behind Evans, and I think that it's really tough to evaluate Losman.

I do know that this team has appreciable problems in many areas. Devoting yet another high draft pick to QB (either through the draft or by trade) is not the answer, given that it doesn't address these problem areas, and it also doesn't solve the QB problem, because we will then have an actual rookie behind center.

I think that we really should think of this season as JP's rookie season.  The turnaround from last year has been tremendous.  I think many established, veteran QBs would struggle if given a new coach and offensive coordinator running a new offense with new plays. 

Add in the fact that the team lost last year's #1 WR, there's a new center snapping Losman the ball, a new starting LG and TE, and serious questions as to the ablility of the WRs behind Evans, and I think that it's really tough to evaluate Losman.

I do know that this team has appreciable problems in many areas.  Devoting yet another high draft pick to QB (either through the draft or by trade) is not the answer, given that it doesn't address these problem areas, and it also doesn't solve the QB problem, because we will then have an actual rookie behind center.

814304[/snapback]

While you have raised some good points, three things have not changed:

1.) He is holding onto the ball too long

2.) He is careless with the football

3.) He makes poor decisions

As the 2 other physically gifted QBs that preceded JP can prove, these attributes are like a disability and not a disease, they cannot be cured.

I think that we really should think of this season as JP's rookie season.  The turnaround from last year has been tremendous.  I think many established, veteran QBs would struggle if given a new coach and offensive coordinator running a new offense with new plays.

Yeah. A veteran QB like Bledsoe really struggled in his first eight games in Buffalo, because he lacked familiarity with the offense. He's played a lot better since. ;)

Or take Kelly Holcomb. Would you say 2004 was his rookie year, on the basis that he was unfamiliar with the offense and his supporting cast? At some point, you have to stop thinking of Losman as a rookie. He's in his third year. Unless he starts looking like a real QB in the second half of the season, the Bills will need to move on.

you think, is there anyway if we have a top 5 pick, levy would pull the trigger on Quinn or Troy Smith?

814294[/snapback]

God I hope not. Troy Smith is a 2nd round guy at best in my opinion. Troy Smith is a little undersized in this day and age at 6'1" and 215lbs. I was under the belief that Quinn would shred the NCAA this year like Jason White and Carson Palmer did a few years ago. I was expecting 40-50 TD's and about 5-10 INT's. He hasn't had the greatest of games this year really, but the kid does have a flare for the dramatic. Quinn is 6'4" and 233lbs with solid arm strength, decent mobility for a big guy, and a leader's overall presence in the huddle. Troy Smith is a great college QB and a great athlete in general, but he doesn't really have that aura around him like he's going to be a great pro. The athletes in the NFL are bigger, stronger, and faster than in college. I don't really think Troy Smith is going to be able to have the same success in the NFL as he is experiencing right now. Quinn is going to be a solid pro QB. He's going to be coming into the NFL a little more prepared than most rookies since he's been under Weis' pro-style offense for the past 2 years. But after seeing what I've seen this year, I don't believe that I would take him in the top 5. There's clearly other needs that we have and prospects that would be available with a pick in that cleft of the draft for us to pass them over to select Quinn. I hope our front office makes the right decision this year.