My favorite albums from the last 10 years

Cugalabanza

Ben Folds - Underrated song writer. Amazingly nice person as I met him a few times and got to have a few beers with him. Rockin' the Suburbs has both a great sound and excellent writing. Songs For Silverman is more of a lighter sound. More emotional too.

811675[/snapback]

Now you are talking... Y'all should definately pick up his new LP - which is a cut up/amalgamation of three EPs he made last year (or the year before). Really great stuff. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Supersunnyspeedgra...2219826?ie=UTF8

I've been a Folds fan for ages. Seen him maybe 8 or 9 times since his time in the Five.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBS doesn't fit the definition of emo, true emo would be dashboard confessional, rufio, and the all-american rejects (All of whom feature soft, kinda whiny ballads, and acoustic at times).

812083[/snapback]

Not to mention Hawthorne Heights ("Seeing you cry....makes me feel like saying sorry!" WTF??) and possibly My Chemical Romance (I guess they might be goth now but they're as melodramatic as any emo band ever, and also as lame).

I think being melodramatic is a big part of being emo. And totally gay.

Im a HUGE Punk/Emo fan and I hate to break it to you but TBS IS EMO. They wouldnt be considered Emo 10-15 years ago, but they are definately TODAYS emo.

Secondly ... TAYF and WYWTB are much more EMO than Louder Now ... Louder Now is a little more poppy.

813283[/snapback]

Thank-you.

Who cares what websites say?  Even "influential" websites?  Websites can be horribly wrong just like anyone else.

Taking Back Sunday doesn't fit the emo profile.  Their songs aren't whiny, their singer doesn't have a high voice, and they definitely don't write every song about how terrible life or girls are.  They're a hard rock band. 

"Emo" is just the popular term for every rock band now.  It's like it was 6 or 7 years ago when everyone lumped the Deftones into the rap-rock genre for no particular reason.

811753[/snapback]

Uhm, that is the 20 year old definition of Emo. The whole whiny voice thing. Emo = emotion. EMO music is angst filled music filling an album with angst split with songs of low slow melodys. Thus the term "emo" came from. The album changes quickly and they cant seem to make up their mind. They love the girl one minute and then hate them the next. The band combinds many lyrics sang by 2 or 3 different members at the end of the song and stuff like that.

Thats more of an EMO profile.

calling certain things or pepple emo is almost a slap in the face. To call taking back sunday emo, is like calling michael jackson a heterosexual. TBS doesn't fit the definition of emo, true emo would be dashboard confessional, rufio, and the all-american rejects (All of whom feature soft, kinda whiny ballads, and acoustic at times).

812083[/snapback]

Completely wrong.

Dashboard Confessional - one man band. they are very poppy at times. not EMO IMO

Rufio = Old school emo

All-American Rejects - this is where you completely lose credibility. AAR is ENTIRELTY Pop-Rock. "swing, swing from the tangles of my heart is crushed by a former love" ... Definately poprock ...

P.S. Emo hardly ever has acoustic ... its mostly hard angst filled guitar rifts to screaming lyrics and then to ballads of love/lost

TODAYS Emo includes:

My Chemical Romance

Taking Back Sunday (TAYF, WYWTB) ... NOT Louder Now

Brand New once upon a time ... not much anymore

Coheed and Cambria

Thursday

The Used

Other ones that some people seem to *think* are EMO include, Senses Fail, The Starting Line and Fall Out Boy.

Completely wrong.

Dashboard Confessional - one man band. they are very poppy at times. not EMO IMO

Rufio = Old school emo

All-American Rejects - this is where you completely lose credibility. AAR is ENTIRELTY Pop-Rock. "swing, swing from the tangles of my heart is crushed by a former love" ... Definately poprock ...

P.S. Emo hardly ever has acoustic ... its mostly hard angst filled guitar rifts to screaming lyrics and then to ballads of love/lost

TODAYS Emo includes:

My Chemical Romance

Taking Back Sunday (TAYF, WYWTB) ... NOT Louder Now

Brand New once upon a time ... not much anymore

Coheed and Cambria

Thursday

The Used

Other ones that some people seem to *think* are EMO include, Senses Fail, The Starting Line and Fall Out Boy.

813299[/snapback]

Rites of Spring.

from Wikipedia:

Taking Back Sunday is an alternative rock band with punk/hardcore/emo influences[1] from Long Island, New York.

The classification of bands as "emo" is often controversial. Fans of several of the listed bands have recoiled at the use of the "emo" tag, and have gone to great lengths to explain why they don't qualify as "emo". In many cases, the term has simply been attached to them because of musical similarites, a common fashion sense, or because of the band's popularity within the "emo" scene, not because the band adheres to emo as a music genre. (The revulsion of some bands from the term emo is not unlike the retreat from the genre by the bands in the indie emo scene near the end of the 90s.)

As a result of the continuing shift of "emo" over the years, a serious schism has emerged between those who relate to particular eras of "emo". Those who were closely attached to the hardcore origins recoil when another type of music is called "emo". Many involved in the independent nature of both 80s and 90s emo are upset at the perceived hijacking of the word emo to sell a new generation of major label music. Regardless, popular culture appears to have embraced the terms of "emo" far beyond its original intentions.

So - I have to take back that TBS 'aint' emo... But I don't think they are not exclusively emo, but have an influence in the emo scene as well as the punk/pop/hardcore genre that seems to gave gone so much more mainstream today. TBS as emo would make them firmly rooted in the indie, off beat music scene, whereas in reality, they are part of the mainstream who can be related in a music sense as stemming from the emo origin, but being far enough removed as to not deserve the tag of emo over, say, punk-pop.

Uhm, that is the 20 year old definition of Emo. The whole whiny voice thing. Emo = emotion. EMO music is angst filled music filling an album with angst split with songs of low slow melodys.

813289[/snapback]

Wow, you just described EVERY rock band made up of young men in their early 20's. By the definition you just gave, Nirvana was an emo band and so was Pearl Jam. The friggin' Deftones match that definition.

You're doing exactly what I posted about before. Grouping every rock band into "emo" because that's the popular term right now.

Wow, you just described EVERY rock band made up of young men in their early 20's.  By the definition you just gave, Nirvana was an emo band and so was Pearl Jam.  The friggin' Deftones match that definition.

You're doing exactly what I posted about before.  Grouping every rock band into "emo" because that's the popular term right now.

813916[/snapback]

:doh: SNR I agree with you completely on this as this thread continues... also kudos to Nick as i like and agree with what you have been posting

from Wikipedia:

Taking Back Sunday is an alternative rock band with punk/hardcore/emo influences[1] from Long Island, New York.

The classification of bands as "emo" is often controversial. Fans of several of the listed bands have recoiled at the use of the "emo" tag, and have gone to great lengths to explain why they don't qualify as "emo". In many cases, the term has simply been attached to them because of musical similarites, a common fashion sense, or because of the band's popularity within the "emo" scene, not because the band adheres to emo as a music genre. (The revulsion of some bands from the term emo is not unlike the retreat from the genre by the bands in the indie emo scene near the end of the 90s.)

As a result of the continuing shift of "emo" over the years, a serious schism has emerged between those who relate to particular eras of "emo". Those who were closely attached to the hardcore origins recoil when another type of music is called "emo". Many involved in the independent nature of both 80s and 90s emo are upset at the perceived hijacking of the word emo to sell a new generation of major label music. Regardless, popular culture appears to have embraced the terms of "emo" far beyond its original intentions.

So - I have to take back that TBS 'aint' emo...  But I don't think they are not exclusively emo, but have an influence in the emo scene as well as the punk/pop/hardcore genre that seems to gave gone so much more mainstream today.  TBS as emo would make them firmly rooted in the indie, off beat music scene, whereas in reality, they are part of the mainstream who can be related in a music sense as stemming from the emo origin, but being far enough removed as to not deserve the tag of emo over, say, punk-pop.

813795[/snapback]

Wikipedia is a "dictionary" where anyone can post an entry ... so if someone thinks they are alternative rock (which they are now because of their last album), they can just post it as fact, when its usually not.

Actually - I always liken TBS to Thrid Eye Blind... I never heard anyone describe TEB as emo.  I wouldn't describe TBS as emo either.

813797[/snapback]

Are you on crack? :doh: Just kidding, but bro, Third Eye Blind is NOTHING like Taking Back Sunday. TEB is EXTREMELY poppy ... "doot doot doo doot doo i want something else to get me through this semi charmed kinda life baaaabyyy" .... not even close to TBS. I do like both bands though.

Wow, you just described EVERY rock band made up of young men in their early 20's.  By the definition you just gave, Nirvana was an emo band and so was Pearl Jam.  The friggin' Deftones match that definition.

You're doing exactly what I posted about before.  Grouping every rock band into "emo" because that's the popular term right now.

813916[/snapback]

Emo is a popular term now? Not where I live. Anyhow, how can you not simply LISTEN to TBS, Rufio, MCR, and tell they have a completely different sound than Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Give me a break. Its hard to give a definiton ... its simply the sound and emotion.

How you cant tell that, just doesnt make sense to me. Go to any scene concert and tell them that TBS, Rufio, or MCR are not emo and they will all laugh.

Wikipedia is a "dictionary" where anyone can post an entry ... so if someone thinks they are alternative rock (which they are now because of their last album), they can just post it as fact, when its usually not.

Are you on crack?  :doh: Just kidding, but bro, Third Eye Blind is NOTHING like Taking Back Sunday. TEB is EXTREMELY poppy ... "doot doot doo doot doo i want something else to get me through this semi charmed kinda life baaaabyyy" .... note even close to TEB. I do like both bands though.

Emo is a popular term now? Not where I live. Anyhow, how can you not simply LISTEN to TBS, Rufio, MCR, and tell they have a completely different sound than Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Give me a break. Its hard to give a definiton ... its simply the sound and emotion.

How you cant tell that, just doesnt make sense to me. Go to any scene concert and tell them that TBS, Rufio, or MCR are not emo and they will all laugh.

814342[/snapback]

Correct again on all counts.

Brand New - Deja Entendu  (from 2003, now my favorite album of all-time)

Brand New - Your Favorite Weapon (2001, best punk-pop album I own)

809975[/snapback]

I like that band. I hope the demos that leaked for their upcoming album were REALLY rough. Because I thought they sucked.

My favorite band that nobody knows is Kemuri. They're a Japanese Ska band that I saw in concert about 10 years ago (man time passes quick). They just put on a kickass set like few I've ever seen. Their best album is Little Playmate

I like that band.  I hope the demos that leaked for their upcoming album were REALLY rough.  Because I thought they sucked.

My favorite band that nobody knows is Kemuri.  They're a Japanese Ska band that I saw in concert about 10 years ago (man time passes quick).  They just put on a kickass set like few I've ever seen.  Their best album is Little Playmate

814363[/snapback]

I tried but I couldnt listen to more than 10 seconds of that Kemuri stuff .. yuck

I tried but I couldnt listen to more than 10 seconds of that Kemuri stuff .. yuck

814386[/snapback]

Well that's you. If you don't like ska you won't like it. I'm telling you though even though they were an opening band it was one of the coolest shows I've ever seen. But you know what opinions are like.

814342[/snapback]

There are definitions that work. It's just that any accurate definition excludes bands like Taking Back Sunday and Brand New pretty easily. "Sound and emotion" doesn't cut it because that's plenty of different types of music (your definitions are actually getting more vague if that's possible).

I can listen to TBS and (if I have to) Rufio and MCR and tell you that TBS has a completely different sound than the other two. They have basically nothing in common, aside from the fact that they're popular rock bands that are unnecessarily lumped together for some reason.

Yes, "emo" is the popular term of the moment. Just like "rap-rock" used to be popular and applied to plenty of bands that did not work, and just like "alternative" was applied to plenty of bands that were not before that.