Interesting note on the Bills' defense...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writ...qbte/index.html

Sunday in Buffalo. The Bills blitz the New England offense 42 times, including virtually every one of the Patriots' 30 pass plays. Forty-two times in 56 plays!

42 blitzes?! WOW. Now that is an attacking defense.

I thought the Bills' D played better than the 24 points they gave up on Sunday, and this was probably a big reason why.

I think Gray has done pretty well adapting to use of the LeBeau runblitz even without LeBeau. This is not surprising in that as the caller of the teams plays last year as DC he had to know the scheme cold.

Sunday's adventure was unfortunately interesting. Gray had show mastery of the scheme his first two games holding opponents to an average of 13/game, but he ran into an unflappable Brady who played a great game and RBs who picked up the blitz incredibly well (the play where Dillon disrupted the Posey rush and jumped up to receive the pass was phenomenal).

One does wonder and I have will have to go back to the tape whether the problem here was not simply lack of a rush by our DEs (where were Shobel, Kelsay and Denny as the team recorded no sacks) but actually the zone blitz put theDEs in a short zone coverage and actually it was the onrushing LBs like Posey who were stopped by great efforts from the RBs and Brady.

The game really merits a second look in order to do good analysis of our D and its failings.