Small Quick and Penetrating aint working

5 Wide

I was willing to give this a shot, seeing as how it was a new system and wanted to see what it was capable of. Our quick and penetrating tackles get out of position too quickly and there are 2-3 blockers reaching the second level consistently. When you get gashed by Jones for 127 yards when the Lions hadn't had a 100 yard rusher for 22 games, something is not clicking. This D has good linebackers, but they're negated when you have a 300 pound guard on them. They haven't been able to consistently stop short yardage situations and get pounded up the gut. Something needs to be done.

I was willing to give this a shot, seeing as how it was a new system and wanted to see what it was capable of.

806225[/snapback]

So when you say, "I was willing to give this a shot" you mean 6 games? Yeah, you're right, that's plenty of time to implement an entire system, acquire the players for that system and get everybody on the same page working as one cohesive unit.

You know I get as mad as anybody watching the games. My emotions get the better of me and I’m cussing out every Bill down to the ball boy. But a little bit after the game my intellect returns and I’m once again capable of rational thought. I guess it takes a bit longer for others to calm down.

So when you say, "I was willing to give this a shot" you mean 6 games?  Yeah, you're right, that's plenty of time to implement an entire system, acquire the players for that system and get everybody on the same page working as one cohesive unit.

You know I get as mad as anybody watching the games.  My emotions get the better of me and I’m cussing out every Bill down to the ball boy.  But a little bit after the game my intellect returns and I’m once again capable of rational thought.  I guess it takes others a bit longer for others to calm down.

806239[/snapback]

I'm totally calm and resigned to the fact it is what it is this year. Learning a system has nothing to do with getting manhandled out of position. You are correct, 6 games is not a large body of work to base an opinion off of, however the production is so far from acceptable that it needs to be looked at. Our guys are getting blown off the ball, individually losing their assignments, and that has little to do with being a cohesive unit. The scheme may work, but the personnel doesn't. When you lose the one on one battles, the overall picture breaks down. Our line cannot anchor against a power formation.