Run The Ball

coltrane34

My biggest issue with the team this season is that they keep putting themselves in bad situations. By coming out and passing a lot on first downs and third and short situations, they are giving the defenses an advantage and hurting JP. Not to mention calling fake punts, and fourth and two pass plays.

A hard noise pound it out running team should be setting the tone with the running game especially when your RB is the best player on the team(besides morman). Instead the Bills are throwing on third and 2 or 3 instead of just running for it. You have to be able to get two yards. Now I know the line is having issues, but the play calls are making it harder on them. You have to set the tone with Willis, allow the play action to develop a long with the midrange passing game, and then the defense wont be able to dictate the pace and direction of the game. Make the defense stack up in response to the run and the passing game will come much easier. Then Jp can audible out of the run if he sees a weakness in the secondary, instead of trying to create one. Better calls and a consistent run game will also save our quarterback from running for his life on any pass over three yards.

RUN THE BALL, THEN RUN IT AGAIN, AND AGAIN.......

The running game isn't working either for teams know our tendencies. Whenever SHelton is in the game %75 of the time it is a run. And when they do pass with him in, he or the TE's are either not a threat or underutilized in the passing game. I have no problem with occasionally passing on 1st down. I do hate that more quicker developing pass plays aren't called. So that when we fail on 1st, a run is called on 2nd and then we are left in 3rd and long sitting in shotgun allowing the D to just tee off on JP. JP has a tendency to hold onto ball if his initial read is covered. And then we wonder why Gandy and the line struggles to protect. We need to get a rhythm going on offense and we haven't had that all season.

It doesn't matter one bit what plays are called if they are not executed on the field. This loss had less to do with scheme and play calling. It was all about bad execution and poor blocking. I place the balme on those with the uniforms on.

806113[/snapback]

A tackle would be nice once in a while.

A running play without a fullback would be great too. And they should pass on first downs occasionally, it just needs to be desguised better. I can call the play about 90% of the time just based on their formation. Run out of passing formations and vice versa. It just seems like they could be covering their weaknesses better, instead of just putting everything on JPs shoulders.

It doesn't matter one bit what plays are called if they are not executed on the field. This loss had less to do with scheme and play calling. It was all about bad execution and poor blocking. I place the balme on those with the uniforms on.

806113[/snapback]

It does if you try to get players to run schemes that they are not able to handle or not suited for. It's one thing to occasionally take a chance and open up the flood gates if you have a less than talented O-line and a young QB who holds the ball; it's another to do it %85 of the time. This O-line is better than last year for if the same number of deep drop pass plays were called there would be 3 times as many sacks given up with Wiliams at RT and Gandy & Anderson paired on the left! It would have definetly been an open revoling door every down not given JP a chance to setup instead of every 3 or 4 pass play.

A running play without a fullback would be great too.  And they should pass on first downs occasionally, it just needs to be desguised better.  I can call the play about 90% of the time just based on their formation.  Run out of passing formations and vice versa.  It just seems like they could be covering their weaknesses better, instead of just putting everything on JPs shoulders.

806137[/snapback]

Exactly;I agree totally. The smartest post I've seen so far!

Commitment to the run is just commitment to the PUNT in this league. Nobody runs consistently against decent teams.

And Willis leading the league in rushing is not using him properly. He is not EARL CAMPBELL, he is a multi-purpose weapon. Get the poor man into space... the Pats freakin' third RB beat us on a deep pass in week one. Some Jones or other made a huge one on one play yesterday. This "grind it out" nonsense is a dog that will not hunt. IMAGINATION, people...

This O-line is better than last year for if the same number of deep drop pass plays were called there would be 3 times as many sacks given up with Wiliams at RT and Gandy & Anderson paired on the left!

806152[/snapback]

I don't know for sure, but I think that the Son of Sam was also a nicer guy than Jeffrey Dahmer.

Commitment to the run is just commitment to the PUNT in this league. Nobody runs consistently against decent teams.

And Willis leading the league in rushing is not using him properly. He is not EARL CAMPELL, he is a multi-purpose weapon. Get the poor man into space... the Pats freakin' third RB beat us on a deep pass in week one. Some Jones or other made a huge one on one play yesterday. This "grind it out" nonesense is a dog that will not hunt. IMAGINATION, people...

806162[/snapback]

Too much imagination in this league already. Cease these slow deep drops with the qb stretching out his arm to give the rb the ball, and execute some traps, plunges, and off-tackles with a quick plant of the ball into the rb's gut.

Save the outstretched stuff for the pull plays or for play-action passing.

And halt this running down the play clock to the last second or so on run plays. Get up there and snap the da*n ball...take advantage of who owns the snap count.

Run the ball for 1 yard a play? That is not effective either. You need to be able to do both. If your passing game is terrible your running game will be as well and vice versa. Running the ball has not gotten us too far either b/c we don't run the ball well!!! Willis has had openings and just been too slow to hit them and hit them effectively. You have to have balance on offense. That means you have to be able to pass short, long, distribute the ball to different receivers and of course run. I didn't see the run game help us too much yesterday. As a matter of fact it put us at a disadvantage.