Coaching wins game today

Berman

This game more so than any other this year will tell us just how good DJ and his staff are. In my opinion we are very fortunate to have him with the Bills and the staff he assembled is full of NFL up and coming Head Coaches. This game will tell the tale. Fairchild vs Martz - DJ vs his old team and the talent level on both teams is relatively equal.

The name of the game on defense is get to Kitna and force turnovers. Even though they could run effectively against our line, we know Martz will eventually start throwing. On offense its simple, limit mistakes run Mcgahee frequently in the first half to open up some big plays in the second half.

This game is huge for us to stay in the playoff picture and its going to boil down to COACHING... here is to DJ and staff coming away with a big WIN!!!

One big thing would be to run more high percentage pass plays to put us in more 3rd and 5 or shorter situations. We all know we have fast receivers and that JP has a rocket arm. Where are the throws to the TE's or HB's? It's also about time we put our players on offense in the best position to make plays to fit their strengths. WM should be run more to the egdes and off tackle where our best blockers are and where he seems to run the hardest utilizing his stiff arm. Lee Evans should just get the ball anyway he can. Josh Reed and Parrish should be given chances to run after the catch in the slot. JP should be rolled out at least 3 times this game. And oh my god: where are the playaction passes? I know defenses focus on WM so why not?

This game more so than any other this year will tell us just how good DJ and his staff are. In my opinion we are very fortunate to have him with the Bills and the staff he assembled is full of NFL up and coming Head Coaches. This game will tell the tale. Fairchild vs Martz - DJ vs his old team and the talent level on both teams is relatively equal.

The name of the game on defense is get to Kitna and force turnovers. Even though they could run effectively against our line, we know Martz will eventually start throwing. On offense its simple, limit mistakes run Mcgahee frequently in the first half to open up some big plays in the second half.

This game is huge for us to stay in the playoff picture and its going to boil down to COACHING... here is to DJ and staff coming away with a big WIN!!!

804346[/snapback]

The Lions are ranked 30th in passing defense in the NFL, while their running defense ranks 14. If you were a coach why would you try to run the ball frequently given these numbers? If coaching wins this then DJ and Fairchild will let JP and our much touted receiving corps do their thing. Not try to work against the opposing teams biggest strength. They need to pass early and not wait till the second half after the running game fails. This way after they start moving the ball throiugh the air, the running game will have a chance to open up.

I agree.  This does seem like one of the times they should be trying to pass to set up the run.  Given the Lions defense, the passing SHOULD be easier.

804418[/snapback]

But then the Lions will also realize this & try to cover the pass better which will naturally open up our running game.....oooh it's so complex.

We need to be patient and stay committed to the run, even against a stout defense. This is the same gameplan we used successfully against the Vikings. I dont think we need to let Lossman come out firing... just yet. His mistakes could get us out of the game quickly. Let him loose in the 2nd half after we have the defense playing in the box.