Paul McGuire in 1986

I remember it was Axthelm vividly.

Google pete axthelm predicting jets lose and you will pull up some pages

800412[/snapback]

No was most assuredly PM. He was on the Jets all year, they won a bunch of close games agaisn't really bad teams, with a lot of breaks.

This from a jets blog

The 10-1 start was pretty surreal, and I remeember Paul Maguire was the prognosticator in the studio for NBC that year (maybe his 1st year, taking over for Axhelm?). It seems that every week he would pick against the Jets, and go on a rant calling them the worst one loss team in NFL history. He hated the Jets (maybe from his playing days with the Bills?).

The last 5 weeks of the season were horrible, losing every one, but I'm not sure any Jet fan complained about “backing into the playoffs.”

No was most assuredly PM. He was on the Jets all year, they won a bunch of close games agaisn't really bad teams, with a lot of breaks.

:

800572[/snapback]

Yes, it was PM. One of my favorite football memories.

For the record, I also remember that he started boldly asserting that they wouldn't win another game when they were around 7-1. So three weeks or so of his sticking with that psoition in the face of their wins made it all the bigger when they did turn the corner and crumble.