Freedom of Speech?

Fezmid

Fine -- if I'm standing outside the White House and yell, "Bush is an idiot!!!" I wouldn't be arrested/detained.  That contextual enough for you?

CW

791694[/snapback]

If you were bringing a bag of stuff in on the tour, on which you had written "Bush is an idiot", you might actually establish a similar context.

And get detained for questioning.

If you were bringing a bag of stuff in on the tour, on which you had written "Bush is an idiot", you might actually establish a similar context. 

And get detained for questioning.

791844[/snapback]

And it still doesn't make it any less retarded that you would.

Try living in DC.  It's almost time for our quarterly machine-gunning of the Capitol building again...

And yes, it matters.  Try discerning a true threat from a non-threat in a perceived high-risk environment.  Like DC.  Or airports.

791865[/snapback]

Hell, I'd expect that everyone be searched and screened if they were entering the WH/Congress/anything else. I'd also expect the "fire in a crowded theater" to be on full-scale.

I wouldn't think that calling someone an "idiot", "stupid" or anything of the such would be even remotely close to a perceived threat.

Then again, maybe I'm just not nearly as paranoid

Try living in DC.  It's almost time for our quarterly machine-gunning of the Capitol building again...

And yes, it matters.  Try discerning a true threat from a non-threat in a perceived high-risk environment.  Like DC.  Or airports.

791865[/snapback]

Well, let's get this over and become a police state then. It's the only way the government can keep us safe, and it's for our own good. The Bill of Rights and Constitution are just peices of paper. Our forefathers didn't want us to be free anyway, they just wanted us to be "safe."

Please sir, may I have another?

<_<

Well, let's get this over and become a police state then.  It's the only way the government can keep us safe, and it's for our own good.  The Bill of Rights and Constitution are just peices of paper.  Our forefathers didn't want us to be free anyway, they just wanted us to be "safe."

Please sir, may I have another?

<_<

792124[/snapback]

If I call you an idiot, will you move the post to the consumer forum and delete it?

Fine -- if I'm standing outside the White House and yell, "Bush is an idiot!!!" I wouldn't be arrested/detained.  That contextual enough for you?

CW

791694[/snapback]

Don't be so sure that you wouldn't be arrested! 0:)

If I see you on the street adn yell, "Hey, CTM, you're an idiot," that would be threatening?

791279[/snapback]

No, but if you wrote "SDS is an idiot" and he decided to boot you off his message board, I sure wouldn't think that your right to free speech had been violated.

No, but if you wrote "SDS is an idiot" and he decided to boot you off his message board, I sure wouldn't think that your right to free speech had been violated.

793450[/snapback]

Again, the difference that many seem to be missing is that the TSA is a *government agency* and we have the right to state our feelings about the government. The message board is a private forum, so there's a huge difference.

Sadly, I appear to be in the minority which explains why our rights are being eroded.

CW

Again, the difference that many seem to be missing is that the TSA is a *government agency* and we have the right to state our feelings about the government.  The message board is a private forum, so there's a huge difference.

Sadly, I appear to be in the minority which explains why our rights are being eroded.

CW

793682[/snapback]

Carrying a bit too long on the "Right to Free Speech?" What exactly does it mean? To me it means that you will not be prosecuted for speaking out against the government. It doesn't mean that you get carte blanche from acting like an idiot.

Incidentally, freedom of speech also carries heavy responsibility, because that freedom can be abused to harm others. That's why the statute has not been intrepreted to give idiots the right to say anything they want, anywhere they want to say it.

Bird doesn't like the TSA, and he thought he had a point to make. Fine.

TSA agents have a job to do, and while it may be funny in retrospect, you cannot put yourself in place of a TSA agent at that particular checkpoint, at that particular time and attest that Bird was not a possible threat. You don't know if he said anything else to the agent or acted in any way to warrant extra scrutiny.

I don't have much regard for the way TSA is running things at the airport. But I also know that if I'm a smart alec at the checkpoint, there's a very low threshhold for the agents to make my life miserable.

And yes, a 25 minute delay at the checkpoint, by people whose job it is to weed out potentially harmful people off planes, is a blatant violation of someone's free speech.