Red Zone - w link to stats

Georgia Bill

I don't know where to dig up such stats, but it seems like last year and so far this year we continue to have red zone issues, w regards to scoring touchdowns. Is it possible that:

a) because the field is so much shorter, w all the players running around in a small area, that JP has a hard time reading/finding the open receiver

and/or

b) knowing JP has not been too proficient at throwing for TD's in this area, the defenses also prepare more for the run, thus also making it tougher to run

I know in general everything gets tougher in the red zone, still, it seems we ought to be getting a higher percentage of TD's.

I suggest the above, as I would not think the O-Line would necessarily have a tougher time blocking in relation to where we happen to be on the field.

I stand ready to be educated (or blasted. abused etc. if that is your preference)

1. The biggest reason I think (and the idea has been thrown around in the media) is that the OL comes a cropper in the red zone. Last year the OL made mental mistakes resulting in penalties that forced us to settle for field goals. Secondly, the OL has no push at the goal-line to get the job done. The offense has to be more creative to get the ball into the end zone.

2. Our WRs cannot get enough separation to make the quick snatch and go route successful.

3. Lack of use of TEs as targets in the endzone. We are really lacking in this department and need some plays to include the TEs while inside the red zone.

4. Finally, still a young QB who might be a little anxious when indie the 20 and not make the level headed play that he makes when he is in midfield.

1. The biggest reason I think (and the idea has been thrown around in the media) is that the OL comes a cropper in the red zone.  Last year the OL made mental mistakes resulting in penalties that forced us to settle for field goals.  Secondly, the OL has no push at the goal-line to get the job done. The offense has to be more creative to get the ball into the end zone.

2. Our WRs cannot get enough separation  to make the quick snatch and go route successful.

3. Lack of use of TEs as targets in the endzone.  We are really lacking in this department and need some plays to include the TEs while inside the red zone.

4.  Finally, still a young QB who might be a little anxious when indie the 20 and not make the level headed play that he makes when he is in midfield.

787891[/snapback]

We're not very good defensively in the red zone either. The Jets ran through us like swiss cheese every time they got down there. Are we at 0% at stopping the opposition in the red? It feels that way.

I don't know where to dig up such stats, but it seems like last year and so far this year we continue to have red zone issues, w regards to scoring touchdowns.  Is it possible that:

a) because the field is so much shorter, w all the players running around in a small area, that JP has a hard time reading/finding the open receiver

and/or

b) knowing JP has not been too proficient at throwing for TD's in this area, the defenses also prepare more for the run, thus also making it tougher to run

I know in general everything gets tougher in the red zone, still, it seems we ought to be getting a higher percentage of TD's.

I suggest the above, as I would not think the O-Line would necessarily have a tougher time blocking in relation to where we happen to be on the field.

I stand ready to be educated (or blasted. abused etc. if that is your preference)

787877[/snapback]

nfl.com doesn't list them in their "stat" section, but you can inspect them on a game-by-game basis in their "scores" section. I just looked at the NYJ game - not very good, sad to say...1 of 4 in red zone efficiency, and 0 for 1 in goal to go efficiency. :D

We're not very good defensively in the red zone either. The Jets ran through us like swiss cheese every time they got down there. Are we at 0% at stopping the opposition in the red? It feels that way.

788602[/snapback]

To your point, I found this link to red zone stats. 2006 Red Zone stats

We are in the bottom 7 or 8 both offensively and defensively. They also kind of marry the two up to make up a total red zone stat, and we are 4th worst.

Well, at least there is (almost) nowhere to go but up!

Link

With 9 trips to the redzone so far this year we have walked away with 33 points. 3 touchdowns and 4 field goals. Are touchdown average is 33.3%. Not so good. Our opponents have been in the red-zone 7 times and have scored 5 touchdowns and 1 field goal. Their percentage is 71.4% in touchdown average. We are ranked 24 on offense in red zone touchdown percentage and tied for 31st overall on defense in the red-zone.

Ouch, looks like our red-zone play needs major help on both sides of the ball.

Link

With 9 trips to the redzone so far this year we have walked away with 33 points.  3 touchdowns and 4 field goals.  Are touchdown average is 33.3%.  Not so good.  Our opponents have been in the red-zone 7 times and have scored 5 touchdowns and 1 field goal.  Their percentage is 71.4% in touchdown average.  We are ranked 24 on offense in red zone touchdown percentage and tied for 31st overall on defense in the red-zone.

Ouch, looks like our red-zone play needs major help on both sides of the ball.

789002[/snapback]

The only time we weren't scored upon in the RZ was when Fatpepper threw it right to Crowell toward the end of the first half against the Dolphags.