Just wondering

Tolstoy

Could the difference we have seen thus far in this team (and I know it is far to early to be declaring the team a success) be attributable to Marv's calm, even-keeled, honest demeanor?

I say this because most of the players on the field (rookies aside) were here last year. Yet the team seems tougher, more focused, and more disciplined. Even the rookies are able to step on the field and contribute, without excessive jitters and people screaming at them if they make mistakes.

How many draft picks fail because the atmosphere is not conducive to the players' development?

Sure, Jauron gets a lot of the credit too--he exhibits the same kind of qualities as Marv. But who hired Jauron?

In short, is it possible that the head man's personality can filter down through the entire team, and make everyone more comfortable with themselves, more focused, and able to succeed

Just a thought.

Could the difference we have seen thus far in this team (and I know it is far to early to be declaring the team a success) be attributable to Marv's calm, even-keeled, honest demeanor?

I say this because most of the players on the field (rookies aside) were here last year.  Yet the team seems tougher, more focused, and more disciplined.  Even the rookies are able to step on the field and contribute, without excessive jitters and people screaming at them if they make mistakes.

How many draft picks fail because the atmosphere is not conducive to the players' development?

Sure, Jauron gets a lot of the credit too--he exhibits the same kind of qualities as Marv.  But who hired Jauron?

In short, is it possible that the head man's personality can filter down through the entire team, and make everyone more comfortable with themselves, more focused, and able to succeed

Just a thought.

778529[/snapback]

I've been in a lot of places, and I have to say...it begins at the top. Whatever personality the top dog has, it filters down through the ranks over time. Because the Bills have turned over so many players, I presume it is happening a little faster for them.

Read the players' comments: we're more structured...everything is honest and open...no mamby-pamby political positioning or b.s. to deal with.

A football team is no different than a baby: give them structure and they thrive. Give them chaos and they dive.

778704[/snapback]

Also, it probably helps to not have the Triple Reverse Halfback-Option Fleaflicker blow up in the backfield.... and the whole Blitz First, Blitz Second ... Blitz Last thing.

It's a lot of things. First and foremost, it's having Marv and his "winning tradition" back in the fold, not to mention his lack of an ego. It's also having an experienced head coach who theoretically has learned from his initial mistakes (and has a GM in his corner, this time around). It's also a good set of assistant coaches, a competent trainer, sound off-season moves, and a good draft.