Donte Witner was a stretch at 8....

CJPearl2

So what lineman do you take?  :doh:

We will see at the end of the season which lineman, taken after Whitner, has a bigger impact. 

There are no gaurantees in the draft.

778004[/snapback]

IMHO, the top picks always go to linemen and skill positions exclusively. Im only taking a secondary guy if he's rated super high. Like...Ronnie Lott high.

But thats me....and Im closer to dating Chrissy Moran than I am to being an NFL GM.

IMHO, the top picks always go to linemen and skill positions exclusively. Im only taking a secondary guy if he's rated super high. Like...Ronnie Lott high.

But thats me....and Im closer to dating Chrissy Moran than I am to being an NFL GM.

This is just classic, common-wisdom thinking that doesn't automatically fail, but also rarely breeds success. You can't put some arbitrary rating scale of positions ahead of the player that helps your team the most - the Bills line doesn't obviously need Ngata or Bunkley - we're getting that performance from Williams and Tripplett. Winston Justice dropped a whole other round - clearly not a LT anchor that would have replaced Gandy. We were clearly not going to take a WR or RB, and QB was the big decision to make. So what's left? Ernie Sims? Maybe. I think this was the right pick.

This is just classic, common-wisdom thinking that doesn't automatically fail, but also rarely breeds success.  You can't put some arbitrary rating scale of positions ahead of the player that helps your team the most - the Bills line doesn't obviously need Ngata or Bunkley - we're getting that performance from Williams and Tripplett.  Winston Justice dropped a whole other round - clearly not a LT anchor that would have replaced Gandy.  We were clearly not going to take a WR or RB, and QB was the big decision to make.  So what's left?  Ernie Sims?  Maybe.  I think this was the right pick.

778162[/snapback]

You can always use good linemen. And they are hard to find. When they are there, you grab them, IMO.

I dunno....lots of teams take a single philosophy going into the draft and see it yeild success. Take for example, going with "take best player on the doard, regardless of position.", which a lot of teams employ.

You can always use good linemen. And they are hard to find. When they are there, you grab them, IMO.

I dunno....lots of teams take a single philosophy going into the draft and see it yeild success. Take for example, going with "take best player on the doard, regardless of position.", which a lot of teams employ.

778171[/snapback]

Like Detroit under Matt Millen? :doh:

I'm kidding (kinda). I think that's a solid way to go, within reason.

778171[/snapback]

Yes, and that's exactly what we did! We discounted the positions and took the best football player on the board that would help our team the most. This guy is looking like he's going to play at a high level for a long time. How can we argue with that?

The most important thing is to get successful players from the draft and not take busts. Donte Whitner is another step to building this team. The lineman wasn't there, so we'll look to address it this offseason. But right now we can be glad we've filled the SS spot with a playmaker.