OT looking good for 2007

Dibs

I know we are only 1 week into the season etc but ESPN have their top 32 college prospects up & I thought I'd share. :o

LINK

I personally don't believe we will be picking in the top 15 next draft but that shouldn't effect us taking an OT since there are 5 slated to get picked in the 1st round.

They are ranked at...

#3 Joe Thomas...Wisconsin

#7 Levi Brown...Penn State

#16 Justin Blaylock...Texas

#24 Ryan Harris...Notre Dame

#31 Doug Free...Northern Illinois

If the status quo remains as is(which it won't), I figure we will get one of these guys in the first round.

Again I'll say that I know this is too early but....just for fun. :(

I know we are only 1 week into the season etc but ESPN have their top 32 college prospects up & I thought I'd share. :(

LINK

I personally don't believe we will be picking in the top 15 next draft but that shouldn't effect us taking an OT since there are 5 slated to get picked in the 1st round.

They are ranked at...

#3 Joe Thomas...Wisconsin

#7 Levi Brown...Penn State

#16 Justin Blaylock...Texas

#24 Ryan Harris...Notre Dame

#31 Doug Free...Northern Illinois

If the status quo remains as is(which it won't), I figure we will get one of these guys in the first round.

Again I'll say that I know this is too early but....just for fun. :(

775325[/snapback]

It is NEVER to early to talk OTs! :o

Keep it up, and also please scout the OGs. CV is old and we don't really know about Reyes. The success rate of teams that have drafted first round guards is surprisingly high as of late.

Just in case you have never read this great article, here it is.

It is quite telling from start to finish imo.

It is NEVER to early to talk OTs!  :o

Keep it up, and also please scout the OGs. CV is old and we don't really know about Reyes. The success rate of teams that have drafted first round guards is surprisingly high as of late.

Just in case you have never read this great article, here it is.

It is quite telling from start to finish imo.

775334[/snapback]

A while back I posted this(took me ages to re-find)...

From 1982-2003 there have been 31 players drafted as guards in the 1st round.

Of those 31, 9 have gone on to play in a Superbowl...or 29%

On the surface, that might sound O.K. but.....

Lets assume the average playing age of an NFL 1st Rounder is 5 years.

In any given 5 year span, any guards chance of playing in a SB is 5 in 16...or 31%

As you can see, on straight averages the 1st round guards are below the average in SB appearances(& most were playing in pre-expansion times making it worse).

My interpretation of these stats are....

Drafting a guard in the first round does not make any difference on weather the team will make the SB or not. I think it is just that lately(Steelers & Seahawks) it seems to work....over the last 20 years however, it simply equals the average at best.

That being (re)said, I have a feeling thing might be different looking at OTs.

I will do the stats on it soon.

The article you link shows OGs who have made superbowls for teams other than the ones that drafted them....I find doing that questionable when discussing the succuss of drafting tactics. Also, simply doing a 10 year span IMO is not a large enough sample.

775334[/snapback]

There is no OGs on their top 32 list so (assuming status quo) I guess the point is moot.....for now :o

Id prefer de quentin moses over any of these ot's.  Not that I think gandy is a great lt, but I think he's a better tackle then kelsay or denney is a starting de.

775380[/snapback]

I think Gandy is going to be gone after this year.

Especially if he has a solid 2006 campaign.

Id prefer de quentin moses over any of these ot's.  Not that I think gandy is a great lt, but I think he's a better tackle then kelsay or denney is a starting de.

775380[/snapback]

I'm hoping we don't have the #2 pick in order to get Moses. :o

Moses...What a great name for a pass rushing DE. It conjures up all sorts of biblical imagery.

I'm hoping we don't have the #2 pick in order to get Moses. :o

Moses...What a great name for a pass rushing DE.  It conjures up all sorts of biblical imagery.

775387[/snapback]

Quinn / Peterson / C. Johnson should occupy the top 3 picks.

Next up is Jarett / K. Irons.

I think Quentin falls somewhere in the 6-10 range, IMO.

Quinn / Peterson / C. Johnson should occupy the top 3 picks.

Next up is Jarett / K. Irons.

I think Quentin falls somewhere in the 6-10 range, IMO.

775389[/snapback]

I was onlygoing by the list in the link...no idea myself.

I'm hoping we don't have a top 10 pick in which to get him.

Still a cool name though. :o

I was onlygoing by the list in the link...no idea myself.

I'm hoping we don't have a top 10 pick in which to get him.

Still a cool name though.  :(

775390[/snapback]

We'll probably be in the 10-15 range.

And since they have Ryan Harris at #24, it's the perfect spot to draft him!

:o

775380[/snapback]

I'm gonna have to disagree and vote that at least Kelsay is better and possibly Denney. Not b/c I think Gandy is bad, but I think the other two are better than people give them credit.