A Couple of Observations on this game

tjwbills

First of all it was evident early that the tandem of Coy Wire and Troy Vincent in supporting the run was not going to work. On several of the early Maroney runs that led to the Pat's first TD, Wire was out of position, sealed off on several counters when he had responsibility in the hole, and missed many tackles. When the Vincent injury and Wire expreriment was put to an end by the coaching staff, you didnt see anymore long runs by NE. Whitner and Simpson filled their gap duties in run support very well and played adequately covering the pass down the field. I put the early NE drive/score on the coaching staff for going with Wire initially and staying with him as the Pats gobbled up yards on the edges. Whitner was the 8th pick for a reason and he showed it today. Let him start and keep Wire where he excels, on special teams.

All of a sudden depth is a real concern at linebacker for this team. We didnt realize how bad we needed Spikes back until today, and as well as Buffalo's D played today, there were still breakdowns up the middle of the defense in coverage. Takeo Spikes is the only Bills linebacker with the speed and coverage skills that are needed to cover effectively in space long enough to force a Qb to look away from his cover. Haggan and Crowell struggled in coverage today, Haggan giving up a gimme TD to Brady as his cover slipped behind him when he made the fatal mistake of looking back towards to QB during the play. Without Spikes, the Bills were forced to platoon their 2nd and 3rd string at the strong side spot and the Patriots took advantage of this looking for mismatches in coverage.

The 4th down call was a classic in coulda shoulda woulda for Monday mornings but I would say that Jaron made the call based on how both of his lines were playing to that point. The Oline and Dline were both controlling their respective line of scrimmages and a first down and potential 27-7 point lead would have put New England in a difficult position to win. But as we all know in the NFL you cant leave points out there on the field particularly on the road. The play proved to be dramatic in shifting momentum. That fieldgoal would have won the game and in this league points are tough to come by. Next time, take the FG and the points. Another one to hang on the coaches.

Finally, what appears to be the Bill's strength on offense this year is their attacking, balanced style of offense. In the first half, when Buffalo had the ball, if the Patriots were guessing run, the Bills passed with crisp routes that Phil Simms deftly pointed out took advantage of the defenders closing on the WRs first break. When the Pats played pass in their Nickel the Bills sent the ATrain or Willis cutting back in counters or pulling sweeps on misdirection that kept NE's backers on their heals. The Bills were dare I say 'in rythm' and balanced for most of the first half. The second half was much different. The Pats adjusted to bring their safety deep into the line of scrimmage challenging Buffalo's run. They brought linebackers on nearly every play unlike the first half. And as well as Losman looked throwing in the first half, the playcalls became very conservative as the 3rd quarter wore on. Fairchild choosing to protect the lead against the 8 man blitzing front rather than move down the field with confidence with his qb. Not once did Buffalo challenge NE downfield in the 2nd half when they were gambling with their pressure, and for this I blame the coaches again. Let the kid do his thing.

Phil Simms continues to amaze in his moronic meanderings through game calls. Classic line today: after Tom Brady one hopped a grounder 10 yrds in front of his TE Simm's exclaims "That was a great pass. I know you may think I'm crazy for saying it but it was a great pass. It had to be low and away." Not crazy Phil, just drunk off the Brady bathwater.

Usually after a loss like this I feel dejected, but not today. I saw enough from this team to know that they will be a solid team this year and the futures bright. The Simpson/Whitner duo will be special and the Oline will be a good one in time. I think this team can win some games so long as the coaching staff is prepared and does their job as well.

First of all it was evident early that the tandem of Coy Wire and Troy Vincent in supporting the run was not going to work. On several of the early Maroney runs that led to the Pat's first TD, Wire was out of position, sealed off on several counters when he had responsibility in the hole, and missed many tackles. When the Vincent injury and Wire expreriment was put to an end by the coaching staff, you didnt see anymore long runs by NE. Whitner and Simpson filled their gap duties in run support very well and played adequately covering the pass down the field. I put the early NE drive/score on the coaching staff for going with Wire initially and staying with him as the Pats gobbled up yards on the edges. Whitner was the 8th pick for a reason and he showed it today. Let him start and keep Wire where he excels, on special teams.

All of a sudden depth is a real concern at linebacker for this team. We didnt realize how bad we needed Spikes back until today, and as well as Buffalo's D played today, there were still breakdowns up the middle of the defense in coverage. Takeo Spikes is the only Bills linebacker with the speed and coverage skills that are needed to cover effectively in space long enough to force a Qb to look away from his cover. Haggan and Crowell struggled in coverage today, Haggan giving up a gimme TD to Brady as his cover slipped behind him when he made the fatal mistake of looking back towards to QB during the play. Without Spikes, the Bills were forced to platoon their 2nd and 3rd string at the strong side spot and the Patriots took advantage of this looking for mismatches in coverage.

The 4th down call was a classic in coulda shoulda woulda for Monday mornings but I would say that Jaron made the call based on how both of his lines were playing to that point. The Oline and Dline were both controlling their respective line of scrimmages and a first down and potential 27-7 point lead would have put New England in a difficult position to win. But as we all know in the NFL you cant leave points out there on the field particularly on the road. The play proved to be dramatic in shifting momentum. That fieldgoal would have won the game and in this league points are tough to come by. Next time, take the FG and the points. Another one to hang on the coaches.

Finally, what appears to be the Bill's strength on offense this year is their attacking, balanced style of offense. In the first half, when Buffalo had the ball, if the Patriots were guessing run, the Bills passed with crisp routes that Phil Simms deftly pointed out took advantage of the defenders closing on the WRs first break. When the Pats played pass in their Nickel the Bills sent the ATrain or Willis cutting back in counters or pulling sweeps on misdirection that kept NE's backers on their heals. The Bills were dare I say 'in rythm' and balanced for most of the first half. The second half was much different. The Pats adjusted to bring their safety deep into the line of scrimmage challenging Buffalo's run. They brought linebackers on nearly every play unlike the first half. And as well as Losman looked throwing in the first half, the playcalls became very conservative as the 3rd quarter wore on. Fairchild choosing to protect the lead against the 8 man blitzing front rather than move down the field with confidence with his qb. Not once did Buffalo challenge NE downfield in the 2nd half when they were gambling with their pressure, and for this I blame the coaches again. Let the kid do his thing.

Phil Simms continues to amaze in his moronic meanderings through game calls. Classic line today: after Tom Brady one hopped a grounder 10 yrds in front of his TE Simm's exclaims "That was a great pass. I know you may think I'm crazy for saying it but it was a great pass. It had to be low and away." Not crazy Phil, just drunk off the Brady bathwater.

Usually after a loss like this I feel dejected, but not today. I saw enough from this team to know that they will be a solid team this year and the futures bright. The Simpson/Whitner duo will be special and the Oline will be a good one in time. I think this team can win some games so long as the coaching staff is prepared and does their job as well.

768261[/snapback]

Excellent post.

One other thing I noticed was there was a LOT more pressure from the front 4 than there ever was last year. Tom Brady did NOT have an easy go of it. Do the same to Culpepper and we're 1-1

Excellent post.

One other thing I noticed was there was a LOT more pressure from the front 4 than there ever was last year. Tom Brady did NOT have an easy go of it. Do the same to Culpepper and we're 1-1

768264[/snapback]

Yep, culpepper will cough it up in an instant.

:D

768287[/snapback]

lol, you weren't supposed to hear that....

btw, where the hell do you go lately?? I've had to settle for talking with ramius since you've been away ;):doh:

768261[/snapback]

4th down call was right . sorry but no one thought we woulkd be in this . SO you go and try and jam it down there throat . . i think we got !@#$ed on the spot . glad this team has balls .

like i said before if we play hard and end up on the short side i would be happy . i think we have a very solid team and think we will have a lot of wins tis year . GO BILLS