Coy Wire starting?!?!

GoBillsDB

Just read on the buffalobills.com message board that Wire is starting.  Is it true? It's the first I've heard of it.  Say it ain't so...

764561[/snapback]

Yeah, it was mentioned on WGR550 that Matt Bowen is listed as questionable and that if he doesn't play, Coy Wire will start in his place.

I love that our two HEAVILY scrutinized first rounders (and in Whitner's case, top 10 pick) were justified by McCargo not being able to beat out someone we drafted in the 5th round and Whitner not being able to beat out Matt Bowen or Coy freakin' Wire!

Yeah, it was mentioned on WGR550 that Matt Bowen is listed as questionable and that if he doesn't play, Coy Wire will start in his place.

I love that our two HEAVILY scrutinized first rounders (and in Whitner's case, top 10 pick) were justified by McCargo not being able to beat out someone we drafted in the 5th round and Whitner not being able to beat out Matt Bowen or Coy freakin' Wire!

764564[/snapback]

Oh, this is bad... very bad...

764564[/snapback]

McCargo is not competing with Williams...so beating him out would have been kind of tricky.

If Bowen doesn't play, Whitner will get the majority of playing time. He's not starting because he held out.

McCargo is not competing with Williams...so beating him out would have been kind of tricky.

If Bowen doesn't play, Whitner will get the majority of playing time.  He's not starting because he held out.

764567[/snapback]

Is this your opinion or has this been said elsewhere? Sorry, this is enough to make me lose it

764567[/snapback]

Call me a newb, but I have a hard time buying that.

Kyle Williams and John McCargo weigh the exact same. Williams is even an inch shorter. So to say that Williams is the bigger, nose tackle type doesn't work.

I don't understand why we'd delegate someone who we traded up in the first round for as Larry Tripplett's backup while someone we picked almost 100 picks later is starting. It should be the other way around.

Call me crazy.

I'm disappointed that Whitner isn't starting, but he will play, and he is paying the price for missing more than a week and being behind. It is a tough position to play as a rookie, but I really think he should be playing.

I wish the McCargo stuff would stop. He is not competing with Williams. This isn't because of his height or weight, but because of how things have been planned out. The D is built around rotation and high intensity play, and McCargo will get plenty of reps, and have every chance to contribute from week 1 on. I think we got a little too used to the QB competition, and don't realize that D-Tackle isn't a winner take all position.

Once again we all know more than the coaching staff

764628[/snapback]

Perry Fewell's gardener has assured me that Coy Wire will be an effective safety in this league in the absence of Jerry Gray's crazy-ass blitz schemes.

Get off my man Coy.

I don't understand why we'd delegate someone who we traded up in the first round for as Larry Tripplett's backup while someone we picked almost 100 picks later is starting. It should be the other way around.

Call me crazy.

764579[/snapback]

You're crazy.

The expectation that all rookies should come in and be starters from day 1 is a bit unrealistic. Why not be happy that the Bills apparently got a steal in the fifth round, instead of being disappointed due to setting unreasonable standards for the Bills' draftees?