Bob Dylan's Modern Times Debuts At #1

Rico

Link

Congrats & thanks are in order to the Master for giving us yet another masterpiece at this stage of his career. Raconteurs are opening for him on the East Coast leg of the Fall tour, can't wait to see them & hear BD's new material live!

The new albulm is great and complete's his three CD Trilogy. Some are calling the new CD one of his best works.

762948[/snapback]

Need to give it a little time to settle, but right now, I think it's the best of the last 3

... and that's saying a lot, the other two are incredible IMO!

I am not a huge Dylan fan either. My exposure to him is his early years. Blood on the Tracks and before. I recently listened to his new album. Took a couple of listens but its has some pretty good songs. I like Workingman's Blues #2. I find him a cross between John Prine, John Hiatt and Harry Chapan. A couple of tunes on the album sounded like Louie Armstrong music. The music is different. I prefer his slow ballads over his rockabilly.

I have tickets to go see him in October.

The new albulm is great and complete's his three CD Trilogy. Some are calling the new CD one of his best works.

762948[/snapback]

I can't even put it in his top five. How could you, really?

I mean,

Freewheelin'

Highway 61

Blonde on Blonde

Blood on the Tracks

Desire...

all classic records, and there is probably room for some others there (New Morning's really underrated to me and I wish he'd done more instrumental work like the Pat Garrett score).

The new one is good so far to my ears, but way too steeped in nostalgia, and some of the ballads are a bit too much of a paean to the really old radio ballads before rock and roll -- a little toothless when Dylan's best card is his dirty-old-man bite right now. I also have to say that I really miss his range. I think he's lost a lot even in the past ten years since Time Out of Mind. Listening back to anything pre-Rolling Thunder Revue the comparison in vocals between then and now is pretty wild.

I can't even put it in his top five.  How could you, really?

I mean,

Freewheelin'

Highway 61

Blonde on Blonde

Blood on the Tracks

Desire...

all classic records, and there is probably room for some others there (New Morning's really underrated to me and I wish he'd done more instrumental work like the Pat Garrett score). 

The new one is good so far to my ears, but way too steeped in nostalgia, and some of the ballads are a bit too much of a paean to the really old radio ballads before rock and roll -- a little toothless when Dylan's best card is his dirty-old-man bite right now.  I also have to say that I really miss his range.  I think he's lost a lot even in the past ten years since Time Out of Mind.  Listening back to anything pre-Rolling Thunder Revue the comparison in vocals between then and now is pretty wild.

772772[/snapback]

The music really had to accomodate the fact that he can't really project his voice at all. It makes for a very dull listen, IMHO.