Can anyone explain the cap procedures to me

For whatever reason I have never learned it ... what makes one player being cut cost us 1,000,000 in cap and another player being cut nothing??

755422[/snapback]

It all depends on how much guaranteed money (signing bonus, etc.) is still being owed (hypothetically since the entire bonus is payed up front, I believe)

Since the player only gets payed his salary if he plays the season, if they are cut before the season, their salary doesn't count. The only thing that does is the signing bonus which can count against the cap all at once in the third year (not typically done cause it would raise your cap figure up high) or can be spread over the life of the contract in smaller increaments to make it more managable. If a player is cut from a team, whatever is remaining of the total bonus is then added to the cap that year.

I believe this is how it works, but I haven't read or studied the CBA and its just what I have picked up

It all depends on how much guaranteed money (signing bonus, etc.) is still being owed (hypothetically since the entire bonus is payed up front, I believe)

Since the player only gets payed his salary if he plays the season, if they are cut before the season, their salary doesn't count. The only thing that does is the signing bonus which can count against the cap all at once in the third year (not typically done cause it would raise your cap figure up high) or can be spread over the life of the contract in smaller increaments to make it more managable. If a player is cut from a team, whatever is remaining of the total bonus is then added to the cap that year.

I believe this is how it works, but I haven't read or studied the CBA and its just what I have picked up

755445[/snapback]

Any time an NFL player is cut, his signing bonus is accelerated and the entire bonus counts immediately. Not just for the year he is cut, the entire bonus.

Example: A player receives a 5 year/25 million dollar contract. His bonus is 10 million. Now, he is cut after year 3....6 million dollars of his bonus is already accounted for (10 mil divided by 5 years, times the 3 years he already played). The remaining bonus his would be 4 million (the other 2 years, which immediately counts), and the team would not be responsible toward the cap or otherwise for his salary.

Hope this helps.

A large bonus is risky to a team because if a player is a flop or gets injured, it can truly hurt the cap situation of a team, because they will be forced to carry dead cap space.

Otoh, ufas and their agents insist on large bonuses because NFL contracts are not guaranteed, and signiing bonuses are theirs to keep.