....players being released ....

fbzh2

What is the difference between players being released or being waived, clearly they are not the same, as the two terms don’t seem to be used interchangeably; and how does each one affect the player, his contract, the releasing/waiving team, and a team that signs him?

Probably need someone else to chime in on this...I feel I am more knowlegeble on finances than 90% of the fans out there, so I think I know the answer here, so I'll give it a shot....but might want someone to verify before you take it to the bank.

Waivers - Other teams have the option to claim, if they do, they take him and his current contract. If multiple claims exist, team with higest priority gets said player.

Released - Current contract is voided, player becomes a FA. Able to sign with any team at any contract terms.

In MLB, and I assume NFL also, a player must be waived prior to being released. As far as cap ramifications go, one is synonomous with the other.

What is the difference between players being released or being waived, clearly they are not the same, as the two terms don’t seem to be used interchangeably; and how does each one affect the player, his contract, the releasing/waiving team, and a team that signs him?

753424[/snapback]

I think it has to do with NFL experience as players that have played a certain amount of years are free to sign with other teams whereas less experienced players are subject to the waiver wire. I could be wrong though but you can read the CBA at http://www.nflpa.org to find the real answer.