I just heard the newest gimmick for

USMCBillsFan

They are advertising primetime games every Thursday and Saturday plus football on some channel 24/7....

I guess they have to do something to compete with cable and DTV.

746371[/snapback]

My parents, against my advice, warnings, and ramblings about them, switched from DTV to Dish Network when they got their first HDTV to avoid paying for new equipment.

The experience was so bad that they switched to cable when they moved until they figured out what they wanted to do. They swore off Dish Network and hate the company for faulty hardware that they refused to replace. They are talking about getting DTV again, but are satisfied enough with cable that they don't want to pay to switch back (even though they liked it the best out of all of them).

Speaking of which, Fez, after a certain period of time passes are you eligible for the new DTV subscriber benefits again, or will they always have to pay to go back?

They are advertising primetime games every Thursday and Saturday plus football on some channel 24/7....

I guess they have to do something to compete with cable and DTV.

746371[/snapback]

Listen to the ad closely and you'll discover they're advertising is that they have the NFL Network.

I've been a Dish Network subscriber for 10 years and haven't had any complaints or problems with service or equipment. I guess that could change if I have a problem with a receiver and get crappy customer service like it sounds like your parents did.

My parents, against my advice, warnings, and ramblings about them, switched from DTV to Dish Network when they got their first HDTV to avoid paying for new equipment.

The experience was so bad that they switched to cable when they moved until they figured out what they wanted to do.  They swore off Dish Network and hate the company for faulty hardware that they refused to replace.  They are talking about getting DTV again, but are satisfied enough with cable that they don't want to pay to switch back (even though they liked it the best out of all of them).

Speaking of which, Fez, after a certain period of time passes are you eligible for the new DTV subscriber benefits again, or will they always have to pay to go back?

746382[/snapback]

As Jokeman said, it sounds like an advertisement for NFL Network...

I've heard a LOT of people complain about the hardware. Maybe it's gotten better, not sure, but their DVR was utter crap when it first came out. Now TiVo is trying to force DIsh to deactivate them all for patent violations. I'd be very worried if I had Dish right now.

As for new customer -- from what I hear, it's generally tied to the phone number, so if you sign up with a new phone number you should be good. To be extra safe, sign up with another name (ie: hustband/wife) and a different phone number. And remember, if they ask for a social security number (not sure if they do), you can say no -- they have no legal right to ask for one (same as the phone company, gas company, etc -- they ask, but if you push back and talk to a manager, they have to relent. ).

CW